Go Away, Jon and Kate

Diane Mizota: I want Jon and Kate to set a date. A date to go away, to raise their children free from working in reality TV. Just walk away from the money, fame, the freebies, and the paparazzi. Set a date. I dare you.

Jon and Kate

As a new mom, I watched "Jon & Kate Plus 8" for comfort. No matter how difficult my life felt, I took solace in the fact that at least I didn't have 8. In them, I saw that I wasn't alone in becoming a shrieking shrew and that my husband wasn't alone in becoming totally lame. In their struggles, we saw ourselves.

But the Gosselins have changed. Their "real" appeal has disintegrated into a parade of product placements, endorsements, and willing exploitation of their adorable brood. Out of mom solidarity, I could forgive Kate for cashing in on the free tummy tuck, but when Jon stopped working and got the sponsored hair plugs ... they lost me. Milking their television celebrity for vanity was a complete turnoff.

Their family is now a cash cow. They've got books and exotic travels and a million-dollar house. While Kate seems completely happy filming the show and all that goes with it, Jon admits to having a tougher time. (How she treats him like such a child and they remain married is a whole other post entirely.) They've made the cover of Us Weekly, a dubious achievement, and though the cheating allegations may be wholly untrue, let's just say, "Where there's smoke ..."

Get some perspective here, people. Does the name Lohan mean nothing to you? More stuff, a bigger house, and whiter teeth do not ensure happiness. For the sake of your kids and your marriage, get out while you're ahead. Before any family member enters rehab. In the end, college will be paid for and you will still have the best home movies of all time. Set a date. Preferably sooner.

As the new season begins this month and Jon and Kate work only as reality TV stars, I can predict the typical episode story arc: Kate packs for outing. Insert produced family outing. Mayhem ensues. Kate loses her shit. Jon rolls his eyes. Kids are adorable. End Scene.

Yawn.

next: Screw Teacher Appreciation Week
Sara May 4, 2009, 4:07 PM

I used to love the show because they were like all of us but with a bunch of kids and it was fun, amazing and idea inspiring watching how they manage it all. But, now they are not living a typical life whatsoever. They don’t work, they just live a celebrity life getting free hand outs everywhere they go while we watch all their free outings on TV. Not interesting anymore… just plain irritating. I agree, get out of the show. They’ve clearly gotten enough money and handouts to do a lifetime of good (or not) for their family!

greg l. May 4, 2009, 4:13 PM

you hit the greedy nails on the head, all of these so called “reality shows” don’t show real reality anymore. I couldn’t agree more!!!

Rachel May 4, 2009, 5:05 PM

I love the show! Who cares if they get free offers? And if you watched the show you would know that the kids do not have to be filmed if they don’t want to…that is why mady & cara have disappeared from many of the latest episodes! If they don’t want to be filmed, they are not filmed! I think it’s funny how people are so quick to judge them. For anyone to say “they don’t work” is ridiculous…they have EIGHT kids people. If it isn’t work for them to stay home with their 8 kids then I’m sure you think I live a luxurious life staying home with my ONE kid! Get over the jealousy and move on, it is not your place to judge. And I would love to see your perfect relationships with your own husbands. Does Kate snap at Jon sometimes? Yes, but I would love to see a day in your relationship since you never lose your temper. *rolls eyes* Marriage is hard work and it’s not always perfect. Add on to that the 8 kids and I’m sure you can imagine how hectic and overwhelming things can get. Or maybe you can’t because once again, you are all above being overwhelmed. *sigh*…may the one who is perfect, cast the first stone. Unfortunately, I don’t think it is any of you and yet you have already cast the stone. Can you say bitter jealousy? Cuz that’s all I see in people that judge like this.

hillary May 4, 2009, 5:15 PM

I feel the EXACT same way…used to love to watch it ( few seasons ago)? BUT they sold themselves out BIG TIME! it’s lke watching “what did they get for free this week” instead of normal issues. Free vacations, hair plugs, washers, dryers…blah blah blah. And i do feel bad for jon now, not kate! she is working this tv thing like a machine at her family’s expense….

Lisa May 4, 2009, 5:22 PM

“while Kate seems completely happy filming…” ???????????????? I disagree with that statement. Kate appears to me to be unhappy about filming. It’s her job (and his job) to exploit those kids….and to be stressed and nasty to each other and to the crew. When not busy “filming” she’s constantly on the road begging (I mean speaking) at churches because their gig always had a limited shelf life. Then it’s back to nursing for Kate and whatever for Jon….Too bad Pennsylvania didn’t have California’s child labor laws. This thing has gone on long enough, I agree with that!

Anonymous May 4, 2009, 5:22 PM

i still watch the show and still love it but i think it might be easy to fall prey to all these gifts handed to you unfortunatley it might cost them their family.but i still wish them all the luck they need it

Lynn May 4, 2009, 5:30 PM

Actually it’s the children who are the cash cows….it’s a wonder that they don’t get the kids reciting taglines during the show promoting products.

And tummy tuck or no……..Kate is a shrew that needs taming. And Jon needs to keep his hair plugs in his pants.

Give it two years and the oldest kids will already be on drugs and the little ones sneaking booze into their sippy cups………I agree! GET OUT!

JDCS May 4, 2009, 6:36 PM

I have to agree. At first, the show was inspiring - here this woman is doing it with 8 kids… I can surely make it through the day with my 2. But once they started getting all these freebies and help… pst… forget it. It just lost it appeal. Which I would love to go to Disney, Hawaii or any of the OTHER places they’ve gone for free… those things are not what make a good parent/family.

I still watch the show from time to time… but I surely do not make sure my DVR is set to record Jon & Kate anymore.

AM  May 4, 2009, 6:36 PM

I watch the show once in while and I always really like it. My kids are older and even they like watching the show… the show prompts conversations about when my kids were younger and how they were or weren’t… Maybe you’re (the poster) taking the show too seriously. It’s not as if they’re on 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. Personally I applaud Jon and Kate for finding a way to support their large family without depending on welfare or food stamps or having to have both parents work full time or more. So what if they don’t have regular 9-5 jobs. the show allows them to spend more quality time with their children and provide money for college education! I say Bravo to them!

terri May 4, 2009, 9:16 PM

These people are a train wreck waiting to happen. I feel sorry for the kids, they are exploited for money and fame.

Belinda May 4, 2009, 9:54 PM

I feel sorry for their children. They didn’t ask to have their lives shown to the public. Although their children are adorable and many love to watch them, there is no doubt that this reality show will have an impact on their lives. Whether it is positive or negative is yet to be seen. Kate and John will eventually come to a point of decision about what is important in their lives. I pray it is their family.

jen c May 4, 2009, 10:38 PM

This show has lost major appeal - as soon as Jon quit his job to make a show of runs to the local dumpster to take cardboard boxes from all of Kate’s online shopping, I was done. Did anyone see the AllState plug…wow. They have stooped to a new low. Ok so I wasn’t done after the dumpster runs, but still… Also, Kate - please stop tanning or use less bronzer. It cheapens the show further. In addition, if you do another season, maybe try growing out the other 2/3 of your head for a nice trendy bob. The chunk of hair is always in your way and a bit annoying.

Yeah…I’m jealous of the fancy washers/dryers and giant house…but the appeal was her struggles, and I don’t see the struggle anymore. Quit while you’re ahead Jon & Kate.

ame i. May 4, 2009, 11:25 PM

Gah, I agree! I watched the show a few times but honestly couldn’t muster up enough give a damn to watch again.
I wisely decided that watching that show either meant I had far too much spare time on my hands or I needed to get off my behind and scrub tile grout with a toothbrush or something.

Elisa May 4, 2009, 11:27 PM

PERFECT article! My thoughts exactly…

Rebekah May 5, 2009, 2:27 AM

Jon and Kate plus 8 used to be my favorite show. It cheered me up and was like my comfort blanket for so many seasons.
but now…i somewhat agree with this article.
the show has definitely lost its “real” appeal. in the previous seasons, you would see kate unprimped and not perfect looking;now all you see is her hair in its perfect place and fashionable outfits.
i dont have a problem with the free handouts, i know i would sure take advantage of them if i had the chance.
and yes kate is mean to jon, but they dont fight anywhere as much as my parents do.
the main problem i have with this show is how much it has changed. the new house is intimidating,and kate just seems stuck up now. and the kids don’t seem to be the same either. i know they are growing up, but maybe thats just it-maybe we aren’t supposed to see their children grow up before our very eyes.
they need to take a break from the seaons, and come back when they are ready to portray that down to earth charm that made me fall in love with the show in the first place.

chuck May 5, 2009, 2:41 AM

How did this crap ever get on TV? I remember when the discovery channel and the learning channels had some worthwhile programming that you could learn something from about science and nature and the world we live in, not shows that exploit people and bore the viewing audience. If this “Drivel” is entertaining to anyone, you need to get a life.
Just more evidence of the dumbing down of America; no wonder the rest of the world is laughing at us.

Momto2 May 5, 2009, 4:40 AM

I agree. I hope they will follow your advice.

Leeza May 5, 2009, 9:08 AM

Jon holds the key to putting his family back on track, meaning a new beginning (away from cameras, camera crews and filming in their home).He and the children deserve a private life in their family and home.Jon needs to reclaim his position as husband or at least MAN,which includes 50/50 decision making & mutual respect! Jon needs to stand up to Kate and give her an ultimatum! The Show or Jon.Even though, there won’t be a show without Jon as husband/father. Jon needs to finally be the advocate for his CHILDREN’S well beings and protection from further exploitation. Kids at school can and will tease these innocent children relentlessly,especially because of all the negative rumors on the internet (about Jon and Kate’s marriage troubles). If Jon has to divorce Kate, in order for the show to end,so their kids can flourish. Then that’s what he needs to do.

ashley May 5, 2009, 9:23 AM

I couldn’t agree with you more. Kate seems to go more and more psycho every episode. I used to feel comfort as well, but now I just feel resentful.

nikole May 5, 2009, 9:40 AM

stop hating! if you don’t like the show don’t watch it. as i sit in the home i can afford and continue to contribute to my daughter’s college fund, i cringe when i think about a second child and the costs that would ensue. i also look in the mirror sometimes and wonder “what happened?”. so if kate can get her hair done for free, make sure her kids are taken care of, and live with enough space to read a book in private, good for her. and amen to the post stating that raising 8 kids is a full time job.