Go Away, Jon and Kate

Diane Mizota: I want Jon and Kate to set a date. A date to go away, to raise their children free from working in reality TV. Just walk away from the money, fame, the freebies, and the paparazzi. Set a date. I dare you.

Jon and Kate

As a new mom, I watched "Jon & Kate Plus 8" for comfort. No matter how difficult my life felt, I took solace in the fact that at least I didn't have 8. In them, I saw that I wasn't alone in becoming a shrieking shrew and that my husband wasn't alone in becoming totally lame. In their struggles, we saw ourselves.

But the Gosselins have changed. Their "real" appeal has disintegrated into a parade of product placements, endorsements, and willing exploitation of their adorable brood. Out of mom solidarity, I could forgive Kate for cashing in on the free tummy tuck, but when Jon stopped working and got the sponsored hair plugs ... they lost me. Milking their television celebrity for vanity was a complete turnoff.

Their family is now a cash cow. They've got books and exotic travels and a million-dollar house. While Kate seems completely happy filming the show and all that goes with it, Jon admits to having a tougher time. (How she treats him like such a child and they remain married is a whole other post entirely.) They've made the cover of Us Weekly, a dubious achievement, and though the cheating allegations may be wholly untrue, let's just say, "Where there's smoke ..."

Get some perspective here, people. Does the name Lohan mean nothing to you? More stuff, a bigger house, and whiter teeth do not ensure happiness. For the sake of your kids and your marriage, get out while you're ahead. Before any family member enters rehab. In the end, college will be paid for and you will still have the best home movies of all time. Set a date. Preferably sooner.

As the new season begins this month and Jon and Kate work only as reality TV stars, I can predict the typical episode story arc: Kate packs for outing. Insert produced family outing. Mayhem ensues. Kate loses her shit. Jon rolls his eyes. Kids are adorable. End Scene.

Yawn.

next: Screw Teacher Appreciation Week
Erin H  May 5, 2009, 9:59 AM

Does it really matter to you? How is it affecting you personally? If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. I think that they do an amazing job with the kids. They found a way to make ends meet and the reason they gained “celebrity” status is because of all of us who watch the show, buy the books, etc… Can’t blame them for us watching and buying.

jennifer May 5, 2009, 9:55 PM

I live in Hershey PA and trust me, Jon and Kate are not loved around these stomping grounds. Kate expects to get the VIP treatment everywhere she goes. With or without family in tow. Kate is bratty and Jon gets by with hanging out with his pals at bars and clubs. Nothing romantic, the guy just likes to get out and be “just Jon”. I’ve personally seen Jon and Kate out more times than I can count, without each other. I, nor anyone else I know, have ever seen them out together. Those kids have handlers. They do not wrangle those kids on their own. They’ve bastardized themselves and have exploited those kids.

Janelle May 6, 2009, 11:45 AM

I’m appalled at the majority of comments from women who hate this show. Simply put - if you don’t like it, stop watching. Part of the problem is that these women are completely obsessed with the show, but for all the wrong reasons. Who cares if they get freebies? Wouldn’t you want freebies if you had 8 kids? Wouldn’t you want to have enough money to send them off to college? As easy as it is for us to judge their family, you have to be realistic. I would hope that next season is their last, so that they can have normal lives.

jaye May 7, 2009, 1:41 PM

Kate Gosling is it in for the money and freebies and fame, no doubt about it. She is not interested in saving her marriage because she doesn’t think Jon will leave her and the kids. You really think they have any type of husband and wife relationship when the cameras are off? They Married in 99, had twins in 2000 and Sextuplets in 2004. When did they have time for each other? These are virtually strangers who are married and raising 8 kids in front of a viewing public. They have no personal life. They chose this life and could stop the celebrity machine if they wanted. But now the stakes are too high, the money is enormous and Kate LOVES the limelight. They do need to be gone for the sake of the kids. We may find the show amusing, but let’s not forget these are real people, real kids who don’t know what a normal life is like. They are growing up with cameras in their home; they think that is NORMAL.I don’t envy them anything. By gaining a hit show, they seem to have lost their souls. Let’s not forget how many couples who did reality shows have gone their separate ways. They claim to be Christians, so maybe they should revisit the virtues of living an HONEST life.

Anonymous May 8, 2009, 8:49 PM

I think everyone should let them be. I think they are doing a good job raising their kids who happen to be in the spotlight of the nation. I enjoy watching the show and I don’t think the kids are being exploited for freebies. They deserve to have free things and nice things. Who here would have no problem giving up their job to stay home with their kids, I wouldn’t do it willingly but I would do it. I think it’s possible to still have a job and a life with 3 or 4 kids, but 8, that pretty much means they will never have a free minute until the kids all turn 18 and move out. I feel for Kate and I understand why she would be bitchy sometimes, I would be too. Leave them be, I would like to see them work through their problems and continue with the show because the kids are adorable and they are only benefiting from the TV show.

Alicia May 8, 2009, 9:29 PM

I can not believe the nerve of you people. You have no idea what it is like to be in their shoes. With eight children, it would be impossible for Kate to work and how would you expect them to support all those children on only Jon’s income. When I watch the show, I see happy, well adjusted children that are loved very much. So what does it matter if they receive free things. I see it as a blessing for them. They have a financial and emotionally sound future for their family. I agree with the others, If you don’t like it don’t watch. With all your new time you can start discussing some real issues.

Anonymous May 10, 2009, 12:27 PM

Oh for the sake of the kids, the parents need to serious counseling and quit the TV biz !!

Kelli May 10, 2009, 2:32 PM

I just can’t believe anyone is amused/entertained by what a B&TCH that woman is to her poor husband…all she does is correct him, scold him, yell at him…is she EVER nice?

I cannot imagine not respecting my husband. He’s my backup in the world, my soft place to fall, and I don’t understand why I would want to emasculate him at all. What would that get me, but an unhappy spouse?

Have some respect for the man, Kate. And Jon….for goodness’ sake, grow a pair!

Nadine Williams May 11, 2009, 12:14 PM

There is so much I could say….so I’ll just agree with Diane. ut isn’t there a way that someone could start a “protest” for people to sign and send to TLC that proves ALOT of people are sick of watching these 2 train wrecks exploit their kids!! Cancel the show already!

brandy May 11, 2009, 6:13 PM

i dont watch the show anymore who the hell can relate to someone living in a 1.3 million dollar house, and is never home. get real

CrystalApple May 17, 2009, 8:41 PM

This is a joke, 8 kids on display for money, and all the other shows prompting this sad disregard for entertainment. How could you even feel sorry for them when they basically asked for it when they signed up for the show. What’s really sad is they still accept charity and hand outs, knowing they get 75,000 per episode and then tries to hide it. I love the episode when they sold some of their old stuff and then donated the profit to a charity. I only caught that one because it was the only thing on at the time, “nice time slot”. Some people would say if you were in their position you would do the same, “NO, I WOULD NOT” I believe in karma and what goes around comes around, that’s why they are being made a mockery of right now. I wish them the best of luck and God Bless the Children.

Sam May 19, 2009, 1:23 PM

Amen!They really need to go away. Kate is mean and treats Jon like one of the children. She has been putting on a fake persona for a long time. Acting like she is a perfect Mother, with all the right answers, activities planned, etc. Maybe Jon should do a show with just the kids. Kate can go away!

Steph May 23, 2009, 2:01 AM

Get over it people! The show is really interesting and everyone argues the way they do but they don’t show that side to the world. They have 8 kids and they have to do what they have to to take care of their kids financially. If me and my husband could stay home with our kids and still make money, we would in a heartbeat! I am sure they do more work at home than most people do at work. Work would be a vacation for them.

Fay May 24, 2009, 8:00 PM

So the kids get to choose if they want to be on camera? What an idiotic statement! Do they also have the choice to quit the show? Do they edit the film and choose what airs? Of course they don’t. They’re children!
I understand they needed money to support these children. We all need money to raise children but we don’t exploit the childrean to get that money. They’ve made enough and now these children deserve a normal as possible life. Jon & Kate need to get real jobs and life needs to go on. Who knows if they’ll split. The money & fame has ruined them and I don’t see how they can possibly get back to where they were. They’re too far gone! Watch and learn how money and greed ruins everything folks!

Anonymous May 24, 2009, 10:15 PM

Why dosen’t everyone quit watching the show and maybe TLC will take them off the air. I’m sick of seeing Jon & Kate’s cash cow and them benefiting from the suffering of her marriage and family. What would have Jon and Kate have done it they didn’t have a reality TV show and all 8 kids? They would do what the rest of us do, work. I used to like watching the show when the were a regular family, pre hair plugs and tummy tuck. TLC, take them off.

mel May 25, 2009, 6:34 PM

to rachel…previous post:
you make it sound like poor jon and kate have been cursed with their brood of 8. Reminder: they chose unnatural conception and they chose to have 8 children. I don’t mind if they decide to display their lives on tv so that others get whatever they get out of that. However they should not earn royalities and they should forfeit their right to whine about the exploitation!!!!

Anonymous June 14, 2009, 8:33 PM

I am so thankful that finally someone else, someone who might just be heard, says for these two horrible people/parents to GO AWAY! (8 IS enough already!)
f~

Jeanne September 16, 2009, 2:39 PM

Here, Here! Let’s get them off the air.