Infant Dies after Pacifier Taped to his Mouth

Associated Press: Authorities say the foster mother of a 9-month-old boy who died when she taped a pacifier to his mouth faces charges.

passsoff270.jpg
Investigators say neonatal nurse Angela Dukes was in her first day caring for the boy on Feb. 8. They say she tried to quiet him but the taped pacifier blocked his breathing and he died that day.

State Law Enforcement Division spokeswoman Jennifer Timmons says the 30-year-old Dukes of Columbia was charged Wednesday with felony unlawful conduct toward a child.

Officials say Dukes is in the Richland County jail awaiting a bond hearing. It wasn't immediately clear if she had an attorney.

A woman identifying herself as Dukes' mother said she didn't want to talk about the arrest.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Trendy Mom
Wendi May 7, 2009, 3:25 PM

And that lady is a nurse!!! That poor baby.

Danielle Buffardi May 7, 2009, 4:22 PM

WHAT is wrong with people? SERIOUSLY! Like the woman above me said….she was a nurse to boot. UNBELIEVABLE. Poor Baby.

Anna May 7, 2009, 4:24 PM

Horrified.

Sarah May 7, 2009, 4:31 PM

I don’t really understand this, unless the baby has a stuffy nose, a 9 month old can breathe through his nose, or make noise even with the pacifier in his mouth if he is uncomfortable. I just don’t understand how this happened…

AM  May 7, 2009, 4:31 PM

I’m floored! The ignorance of some people just astounds me. My heart goes out to the family of the child… they must be devastated.

Margherita May 7, 2009, 4:33 PM

How horrible for that little baby.

rugbymom May 7, 2009, 4:40 PM

A co-worker told me this morning of a child thrown onto the interstate in FL. I hear about it on the news when I go home…. This has to stop!

Rachel May 7, 2009, 4:53 PM

I dont think she did this intentionally!! She was just tryign to keep the pacifier form falling out..but a 9 month old baby should be able to pick the pacifier back up and put it in his mouth…soo who knows!?

Kathy May 7, 2009, 5:19 PM

WOW is all I can say without getting myself into trouble. LOL

Anonymous May 7, 2009, 5:29 PM

I wonder if the baby choked on his own saliva? But either way this is a horrible loss.. stupid on the mother’s part but mainly just sad.

Kasey May 7, 2009, 5:32 PM

I cannot believe this is happening! What is wrong with people? Every day I am hearing of a horrifying event to a child. Every day. What are we going to do to keep them from hurting their children? Public executions? I say bring it on. Flog them, burn them at the stake, whatever! If you hurt a child your punishment should be so severe that others do not want to do the same, that they are scare to! But then, why in the hell do we have to scare people with punishment to keep them from hurting a child!? WTF? A co-worker told me this morning of a child thrown onto the interstate in FL. I hear about it on the news when I go homeā€¦. This has to stop!
- rugbymom

ITA! 100%

Jodi May 7, 2009, 6:33 PM

A NEONATAL NURSE did this? What the EFF is wrong with people? This woman should have known a hundred ways from Sunday that taping a pacifier to a child’s mouth is so far beyond dangerous. I just can’t stop wondering what the EFF is wrong with people????? WHAT THE EFF?????

Sylvia May 12, 2009, 3:33 PM

She better be lucky that wasn’t my kid. As soon as I found out, I would have ripped her hair out in chunks and made her suffer immensely!!! Since we shouldn’t curse, I can’t say much more…it doesn’t matter to me if I would have to go to jail for my kid..but she WOULD NOT walk away withouta scratch

RMX May 13, 2009, 2:24 AM

Dear God,
not another Casey,Melissa,Andrea,Susan,etc.

Also I wonder,how did Casey,Melissa,Andrea,Susan,etc. spend their mothers’ day?

BTW today was my B-day - 28 years - man haters!This “little boy” is still alive and I plan to stick around for a while!
PRAISE THE LORD!

Oh and God Speed ATLANTIS STS 125!

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 8:59 PM

Nice post. Nice to read. I have got one thing to give about t-shirts.