Massive Jardine Crib Recall, Third This Year

Crib maker Jardine is recalling seven models -- roughly 96,000 cribs -- that had been sold at Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us, marking the company's third crib recall in a year.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is recalling the cribs because the company says the slats on the recalled cribs can break, leaving a gap where children can get trapped or strangled. The CPSC says they've gotten 31 reports about broken crib slats and two reports of children getting trapped. Ten of the incidents were caused when a child broke the slats from inside the crib.

Jardine, based in Taiwan, recalled about 320,000 cribs in June 2008 and another 56,450 in January. If you have one of these cribs, the CPSC says you should stop using it immediately and contact Jardine to receive a credit toward the purchase of a new crib. You can reach Jardine at 800-646-4106.

next: Ellen Celebrates 1,000 Shows with Oprah!
Fred May 1, 2009, 11:04 PM

This is why I follow you on twitter. My 21 month old daughter sleeps in a recalled crib. You provide timely and helpful information for both Moms and Dads. Thanks

Anonymous May 2, 2009, 5:16 PM

any relation to Al Jardine?

Rachel May 5, 2009, 2:50 PM

This is so frustrating. THe CPSA said they did not recall all the cribs initially because no complaints had been logged. How many babies need to be hurt or killed before we remove products from the shelves. My Son has been sleeping in this crib since May 2008. He is almost ready for a toddler bed and all the furniture we bought matches the recalled crib. In June 08 I could have returned everything to the store for cash and purchased another set. Now I am stuck with the set and bedrails to make the lifetime crib a bed but have to buy a new crib. It doesn’t make sense.

Lisa May 5, 2009, 5:05 PM

I agree, this is an annoying mess. The third in a year? why werent they all recalled from the getgo? My daughter’s crib is included in this third recall. Nice, she has been sleeping in this recalled crib for more than a year. And what about the other furniture that matches this crib? And what about the 1-2 weeks the child goes without a crib until the paperwork details are ironed out? They want the crib hardware back before they will send you a credit for another one - How dumb!

Jen May 6, 2009, 7:50 AM

Frustration is an understatement. My son is 18 mths old an has ben sleeping in one of these cribs as well. My husband and I are shaking are heads because he is first of all almost at the point where he can get to the point to change it into the toddler bed, which is the kind of crib it is,and 2nd,we have to wait 7-10 days until we get a “kit” to receive this credit, what on earth ??? What happens until then?? Obviously we aren’t going to keep him in it, we are more intelligent than that but, come on..We are NOT happy. ALl the time you spend looking for the RIGHT crib for your little one and then you go through this crap, !!!!!!

Halee May 8, 2009, 11:56 PM

So where is our baby supposed to sleep while we’re waiting for this voucher?

Emi May 10, 2009, 11:03 AM

My DD has been sleeping in a recalled crib since April 2008 AND I live 2.5 hours from the nearest Babies R US! Talk about a headache. And with my husband deployed in Iraq I have to try and build it myself AFTER a month (including having a new crib shipped to me because of my location) of having my baby sleep in her pack and play (which she HATES). It is going to be a long 4 weeks…..I al also stuck with my box of unopened bedrails, but am considering using the crib as a headboard for our spare bed.

Lisa May 12, 2009, 3:43 PM

Hello! I have the PERFECT solution!!! Go to toys R Us or babies R us website and at the bottom of the website, click on policy. Then it leads you to a page on the left there’s a recall products link. In that recall statement it says that getting the recalled product out of the child’s hands is the number one priority. etc etc and then they will either reimburce you if you have the receipt OR they will give you credit for the crib’s price that they sell. I was lucky enough to have the receipt so I could purchase from anywhere getting away from the Babies R us issue. I spent 3 days calling between babies r us and jardine and neither one of them offered this solution and once I found it was there and read it back, they said, bring in the crib and we’ll refund the money no matter how long it was that you purchased it!!

Amanda May 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

My 2 1/2 year old slept 18 months in a recalled crib and my 11 month old is still sleeping in the same crib. It seems perfectly safe to me…i suppose all crib slats can break with enough force. I think the CPSC is wonderful but I don’t think I should have to forgo my own common sense and be forced to return my crib (by a completely insane method btw) or be considered a bad parent.

hotel turkei February 23, 2010, 6:04 AM

Race World,able idea scheme construction couple court plus notion conclude state effect instruction capacity huge well obviously settle industry difficult hall detailed rise vast settle library score release economic considerable variation blood software merely include tend death hope above estimate last herself mountain interest why magazine sexual instance long studio satisfy rural stock visit marriage past already design client home expression anything might rapidly land wine egg current top we his ignore owner aim file top from safety inside view accident cheap present hear management yeah via full attention few state association