Jon Gosselin is NOT a Stay-at-Home Dad!

As a stay-at-home dad, I am offended that Jon calls himself one.

Jon Gosselin

Jay Brown: Watching "Jon & Kate Plus Eight" this week turned my stomach. Both of these people have sold their souls, yet claim everything they are doing is for "their kids." What a crock!

Seeing Jon claim he quit his job to be home with the kids literally made me laugh. He quit his job (or was fired from it, depending on what you believe) because HE WAS ON A TV SHOW. That's his job.

He's not a stay-at-home dad. He has a staff of people helping him with those kids 24 hours a day. He checks in, heads to crafts service, lets the crew deal with the kids, and then he goes out. I mean, how can you go out if you have EIGHT KIDS? He's obviously not dealing with making dinners and lunches, helping with homework, picking up and dropping off kids, arranging playdates. That's what a real stay-at-home dad does!

On the show, Jon claims, "I love being home with the kids." That's like his go-to line, even though he's slouched on the couch looking miserable. I don't buy it. I can assure you I do not "love" staying home with my kids every minute. As any stay-at-home parent can tell you, there are highs and there are lows. There are moments when this is the best job in the world, and moments when you'd love to pull your hair out and go freaking berserk. You would do anything for a break. It's HARD work. It's not a walk in the park, and it's not a breeze. At times, it's aggravating. It's not just the kids you have to deal with. You're in contact with every single person that they're in contact with -- their teachers, their playdate's parents, their doctors, their dentists. It's a lot to manage having two kids, much less eight.

This guy shouldn't have a chance to breathe if he has eight kids and he's a stay-at-home dad. Larry Shine, the widowed lawyer who has nine kids on his own, is someone Jon should take some lessons from. A real stay-at-home dad is up at 5:30 AM making breakfast and lunches, and doesn't stop working until long after the kids have gone to bed.

Jon says that Kate is always off doing her book signings and at speaking engagements, while he is home with the kids. They get paid $75,000 an episode. Why is it really necessary for her to be gone so much when they are already making that kind of money? GREED. She claims she does "everything for her kids," yet she's traveling when there is really no financial need to. Well, if it's hard for you or your marriage, that makes great television -- and that's what the producers want. If my wife was gone days or weeks at a time, I would be going berserk without any help ... and we don't have any assistants or nannies or babysitters or PAs like the Gosselins do! They're playing right into the producers' hands.

Jon also says, "I didn't choose this -- it was chosen for me." What, Jon? You didn't sign on the dotted line? You didn't agree to be in a reality show? Who "chose" this for you, then? Take some responsibility for your actions. You agreed to be in a reality show where cameras follow you and your kids around twenty-four hours a day. No one else chose that for you. No one forced you to sign the contract. YOU accepted the free hair plugs. Your wife accepted the free tummy tuck. You stood in line for freebies with your hands out, accepting all the "good" parts of fame, but now that you have to experience the "bad" parts of fame, you're crying and whining about it.

Jon, you said you did the show to document your kids' lives. If that's your goal, get a Handicam and start it rolling like normal people do! You also said you worry your kids are going to Google you when they get older. If that's true, you better think about everything you do or say, and be able to hold your head high. When they look at the line "I didn't choose this life," you better be able to explain that to them.

Jon: Give back all the free stuff, give back the house, fire all the help, and THEN be a stay-at-home dad without all the luxuries that you're being offered. That's a show I'd actually want to watch.

next: The Hidden Dangers of Home Gyms
Janet May 29, 2009, 6:51 PM

JON AND kATE, i UNDERSTAND YOU ARE TIRED AND WORN OUT, AFTER HAVING EIGHT CHILDREN ,IN ten YEARS. aLSO being on realty tv and the stress . Jon and Kate get off of the show and Kate quit signing books and get home to your family. You are Christians, youre not acting like it.Get back to church and take care of your children. Their is time later for your personal life.

Maria May 29, 2009, 11:35 PM

Why doesn’t everyone leave them alone. They are going through alot right now and nobody cares about that. Nobody cares how all of these rumors and crap said about them are affecting them. All you are doing is firing people up and making it worse. How many people who have sextuplets given the opportunity would have their own show? Probably the majority. Yes they are getting free trips and vacations but they couldn’t do all that otherwise if it wasn’t offered. I would do the same thing if I was them. I think people are jealous honestly. I dont believe for one minute that Jon or Kate have cheated on each other.HELLO! People pay other people thousands of dollars to say things and start stuff. It started with Jon taking a picture with 2 fans at a bar. 2 FANS!!! If I saw Jon somewhere I would ask to take a picture with him too. God forbid I put it on Myspace and someone get ahold of it and say he’s cheating on Kate. That’s what happened you moronic people!!! Since then they have had their eyes on him like a hawk. Every little thing he does and who he talks to is looked at in a negative way. So he goes out every once in a while. How many husbands do the same thing who dont even have 8 kids? But bc he does it’s horrible. As far as the school teacher crap goes. Her brother is mad at her for taking over the house so he had to ruin his sisters life by saying she is sleeping with Jon. She is in the same group of friends as him so of course they will be seen together. And I don’t think Kate is a bad wife or mother at all. What if everyone had camera’s in their homes, how many wives will be caught yelling at their husbands? Because they are known and on TV it’s so horrible that they bicker but it’s ok for everyone else to do it in the privacy of their own home. Kate said in the very beginning that she will not be fake, mothers want to see a reality show and she will not hide anything in front of the camera’s, and bc she’s real people have issues with it. I’m tired of hypocritical people. They don’t deserve what everyone is doing to them. They are going through alot now bc all the accusations and everyone just keeps kicking them while their already down. Shame on all you horrible people with no heart. Why dont you put yourself in their shoes and stop acting perfect.

RachelAZ May 29, 2009, 11:58 PM

oh get over it already!!!!!!!!!!! poeople need to stop being jealous!

Leanna May 30, 2009, 11:54 AM

This is very well said article! Oh and to “Jenna”, what do you mean “just leave the Damn people alone.”??? Duhhh! They put their business out in the public eye on television for the whole world to see!!They have made their business OUR business! Next time think about what your going to write before you put it down for a comment! Nuff said..

christinefleeger May 30, 2009, 3:22 PM

I have to say I loved this show for years but this last episode was totally not on mark. In the past we have seen them deal with everyday issues of raising 8 kids. This was them and how they could get done what they had to with the least amount of contact not only with each other but with the family. I have had birthday parties not at home and I could never get away with having someone else bring my 2 kids let alone 8 kids. I am sitting here writing this while my kids are in the living room with me and wishing my husband and I could have a night out but with two kids who by the way are sick that is not likely happening this weekend and we live just across the driveway from my parents. I will continue to watch this season but I truly hope they get back to everyday life with the kids. I know Kate can explode at times but as a mom of two kids I can do that at least in the past she has admitted that it was hard but it is even harder to come back into a family when you have been away for weeks at a time and try to take control and respect that a parent deserves.

Veronica May 30, 2009, 3:23 PM

WOW!! You have said so wonderfully clear! I must also say AMEN!! Thank you for laying it out like that. what it really means to be a TRUE stay at home parent! *applause applause* ;)

Beverly Tallent May 30, 2009, 3:27 PM

You hit tha nail on the head. My husband and I have worked for years together to cover our parenting needs..Jon and Kate are so blessed that these children survived birth. I really think they both have lost perspective, if they ever had one..I am not trying to be mean..I am sure they love their kids but to complain because you “have” to take care of your kids, especially with all the support they have, is really unthinkable..Shame on both of them..Here’s a shout out to all stay at home Dad’s and Mom’s!!!

Veronica May 30, 2009, 3:34 PM

just read “Erika”s post where she states “Whenever a man is a stay at home parent it makes me sick.”

My goodness. It still amazes me to see someone so ignorant feel the need to prove their ignorance! That statement is RIDICULOUS!! yes Erika you are welcome to your own opinion, stupid as it may be, but beware of karma!! whew!
And I do resent that you Erika assume that a stay at home mom is not “providing” for her family as much as a “man” who works. Remove head from sphincter than type sweetie!
no offense :)

I absolutely COMMEND a Real Man who provides for his family by caring for and raising his children by being an at home daddy if he chooses so or needs to!

Anonymous May 30, 2009, 4:19 PM

I used to work with Kate, and I happen to know for a fact that both Jon and Kate DID “choose this”; not in the way you may think… Kate was an RN employed by a large hospital on a Maternity unit. She and Jon KNEW that they were not disclosing full information to the fertility doctors who(unknowingly?)implanted Kate with too many eggs. They both KNEW they were in an ideal position to trick the medical community. They planned to cash in from the start!

Tess May 30, 2009, 4:20 PM

Jay’s comments just emphasize the fact that SAHP is a hard job for a male or female. I was a SAHP for several years until divorce then made me a single parent of two sons.Once again that was an even harder job. One of my sons is now a SAHP and just recently told me he now understands a bit more of what I went through.I had to laugh when he said that he sometimes would do anything for some help, some adult company, some time off! I think it’s a very good thing for a father to stay home with the kids and be in charge of all of the housekeeping duties.Once they have had the experience they will never disregard that job as EASY, or think that stay at home Moms are just lazy people who do nothing! I’ve seen other SAHD’s do a complete turnaround when it comes to their attitudes about their wives and their children, and the effort that goes into being a good SAHP.
Jon and Kate got themselves into a mess for sure and it’s up to them to fix it! Too bad the kids have to be in the middle of the current upheaval in their home.Putting the family constantly in front of a camera crew has to be the hardest thing, even if they did get free things for it they are now paying a high price. Nothing is free!!! But what would any of us do when faced with, HOW DO WE PAY FOR ALL OF THESE KIDS NOW? Instead of putting out bad thoughts towards these parents or the situation we all need to have some compassion,positive thoughts and prays so that the family survives intact and those kids thrive in a happy home. Join me won’t you in sending out good thoughts for them?

Meredith May 30, 2009, 4:48 PM

Hell Fricken’ Yeah!!! Well said.

SHERRON TEAL May 30, 2009, 5:31 PM

THESE PEOPLE MAKE ME SICK, THEY HAVE BEEN GIVEN EVERYTHING INCLUDING EIGHT PRECIOUS CHILDREN AND STILL THEY CAN’T GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER, GOING DOWN THE ROAD OF MAKING MONEY YOUR GOD WILL ONLY BRING UNHAPPINESS, STICK TOGETHER AND KEEP THIS FAMILY INTACT THAT IS WHAT TRUE HAPPINESS IS ALL ABOUT..

Anonymous May 30, 2009, 5:36 PM

ME: in my opinion only very ugly woman, controlling with low self stem will accept to support a guy and allow him to stay at home with the kids I don’t care what a good job a men can do there is not way you can compare the care of a good mom, it’s not in their instinct, so I don’t care what a “open mind” you want to be go and get a real man and loss that P….Y that you have as a husband! Matty

Reenie May 30, 2009, 6:02 PM

Since when are woman ‘more capable’ in raising children than men? It amazes me that those who sign ‘anonymous’ don’t have enough courage in their convistions to sign their real names to such crap.

As a senior psychology and education student I can tell you the facts prove women, merely by virtue of their gender, are NOT more capable parents than men. It is all individual, as many women are complete morons when it comes to caring for themselves, never mind a child!

To unilaterally state that a man is a ‘p…y’ just because he steps up to take care of his family is as ignorant a staement as I have heard on this forum. I would trust a man with my kids more than I would trust some of the women who have made such stupid, uncaring and uneducated comments here.

It’s women like yourselves that make it hard for men to step up, as they now need to add the stigma of “Why is he doing this?” “Does he have an ulterior motive?”. How about “He just wants to be the best dad he can be!”

Let’s support those men rather than cutting them down!

anna May 30, 2009, 6:04 PM

We really do not know what there lives are like. They did what they had to do at the time to help them financially. Who are we to judge. Although Jon is a crybaby and should use better judgement on being seen with other women, regardless of what his marrige situation is. It’s just TRASHY!

lynne May 30, 2009, 6:36 PM

wow.. your absolutely right.. he is kinda acting like a spoiled brat… this family is just in shambles.. and it is the greed that has done it… your right… guess we should all keep them in our prayers… especially the children…

Wendy May 30, 2009, 6:53 PM

I would stil love to see proof there is so much “help” in their day to day lives. I’ve yet to see nothing but assumptions based on the gossip that has been flying around these past few weeks.

Msmissiepoo May 30, 2009, 7:59 PM

I agree and Yes Jon was let go, he was spending too much time at home.

Anonymous May 30, 2009, 8:09 PM

he is right and wrong!! i think JON should try to be a stay at home dad!! but they diserve the free stuff they have 8 kids!! although they chose that life!!

Carla May 30, 2009, 8:38 PM

I NOMINATE YOU FOR FATHER OF THE YEAR!!!! Well said REAL STAY AT HOME DAD JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!