Reportedly, Jon grew very suspicious of Kate and bodyguard Steve Neild's relationship.
Okay, it might sound like the plot of a Whitney Houston/Kevin Costner movie ... but the new issue of Us Weekly reports that "Jon & Kate" mom Kate Gosselin grew so close to her bodyguard, Steve Neild, it caught the attention of her husband, Jon -- and he even threatened to hire a private investigator to find out what's really going on.
Us Weekly reports that Kate has made 50 public appearances since May 2008 and Neild is often at her side while Jon stays home with the children.
When the cat's away, the mouse will play?
Neild's wife Gina tells Us that the affair allegations are "ridiculous." Kate says she's "horrified" by the accusations that there's anything going on between her and her bodyguard.
However, Us reports that the couple is on its way to Splitsville. "Jon says it's over," says the family source. "Kate doesn't want to work on it, he doesn't want to work on it."
But complicating matters is the fact that there is TONS of money on the line here.
According to Us Weekly, Kate only flies first class, received a free tummy tuck after the birth of her kids, and sells signed photos of her kids for $20 apiece at appearances. It's no coincidence that their show ranked No. 8 on the list of cable shows with the most product placement.
Us Weekly shares a sample of the freebies they've scored:
- Free beds
- Front-loader washing machines
- New furniture
- Free solar panels for "Going Green" episode
- Clothes from Gymboree and Gap
- Mady & Cara birthday at American Girl Place (2 dolls and birthday package for 2 adults & 2 kids): $710
- Trip to Florida Keys for Jon's 30th birthday
- Tickets to Dutch Wonderland amusement park: $309.50
- 1/2 an organic cow from Natural Acres Farm: $1,395.00
- Tickets to Philadelphia Zoo: $104.00
- Tickets to Walt Disney World: $654.00 per day
- Utah house rental (estimate: $5,000), ski lift tickets ($72 for six days), ski school lessons ($140 per child)
- Upright piano, which they got rid of when they moved into their new $1.1 million home: $5,550-$6,350
- Violin: $100-$300
- Old house re-carpeted
- Crayola Factory Tour: $90.00
- Teeth Whitening (for Jon and Kate): $1,310 (average price for 2 adults)
- Hair plugs (Jon): $5,200 (average cost)
- Sesame Street Place tickets: $509.50
- Day with Thomas the Tank Engine: $180.00
- Beach trip to North Carolina, house rental, Jeep tour
- Sight & Sound Christian Theatre tickets: $236.00
- SkyBox at Phillies game
- LegoLand tickets: $550.00
- San Diego Zoo tickets: $278.00
- Grand Wailea Resort (Hawaii) for 2008 vow renewal: Suites range from $725-$1,080 per night
- Two purebred German Shepherd puppies: $1,000-$3,000 per dog
- Please Touch Museum tickets: $150.00
- Giants grocery store: $5,000 in gift cards and a year's supply of diapers
The newest issue of Us Weekly hits newstands Friday.
What do you think of the rumors circulating Jon and Kate? Does it make you want to boycott their show ... or get a Tivo season pass to see what happens next?