Kate Gosselin: "We Might Split Up"

Kate Gosselin tells People magazine that she and Jon have been privately struggling for months.

Kate Gosselin

In the new issue of People, which hits newsstands Friday, Kate finally comes clean about the turmoil in her marriage.

Here's a sneak peek of the shocking interview:

- On the affair allegations: "I don't know that we're in the same place anymore, that we want the same thing. I've been struggling with the question of 'Who is this person?' for a while. I remember where I was the first time I heard her [Deanna Hummel's] name. It's one of those things where you can try to make it go away, but there's blaring, red flashing lights."

- On living without Jon: "You can't imagine yourself in a certain position when all this first happens, but you can do it over some months. It's a lot like when I was first pregnant with the babies, and it was pure shock and denial. But over time I imagined six cribs in my house, and six car seats. When your mind is ready to go there, you can accept any number of scenarios."

- On the future: "I will never give up hope that every member of our family can be absolutely happy again."

Do you think Jon and Kate will split up?

next: Alec's Bad-Mouthing His Daughter ... Again!
Sammy May 13, 2009, 3:11 PM

I really hope they don’t split up, for the kids sake. they really need to make it work, I’m sick of people just thinking that they can get out of it. Marriage is a commitment and I think in Hollywood especially people just think, “well if it doesn’t work out we can always just get a divorce” thats not how it should be.

Rachel May 13, 2009, 3:23 PM

I hope they don’t but sometimes divorce is the best thing. Sammy, you don’t know what goes on behind closed doors and you don’t know who has or has not tried everything they can to make a marriage work. I’m sick of judgemental people saying “Just stick it out”. Most of the time, that is NOT what is best for the kids. They don’t want to grow up in a hostile environment.

Nikki May 13, 2009, 3:25 PM

It makes me sad that they took their children to Hawaii and made a pomise before them and god that they would be together forever no matter what…and now this. Poor kids.

Briellis May 13, 2009, 4:04 PM

I blame her haircut and his hair plugs.

Len May 13, 2009, 4:29 PM

They owe it to their kids to try and work it out.

Lisa May 13, 2009, 5:17 PM

I hope they don’t let becoming “celebrities” destroy their family. They have 8 children. They need to step back and work through this. I pray that they will work it out. If not, it’s a tragedy.

ame i. May 13, 2009, 6:20 PM

I think the stress of the limelite has caused problems for them. We all know they would be in dire straits if not for the cash coming in from their reality show. John could work 16 hours a day and still not be able to make ends meet. College for all of those kids? Shudder!
Be careful what you wish for, I suppose.
Honestly, I don’t care what the outcome is. They had 2 children, they wanted more. Guess what? I had 2 children, I wanted more, then my husband died at age 38 when my daughters were 3 and 5.
I married a wonderful man almost 2 years ago. He was 46; this is his first marriage, my (our) daughters are his only children.
I could pull the selfish, more-for-me act and demand another child or two, but the image of him trying to retire while sending the lastkid (or 2) through college is not a picture I want to see.

michelle May 13, 2009, 8:40 PM

Ame.i. Dear God, I am so sorry you lost your first husband at age 38. My husband is 38 and we have two young daughters 7 and 13. We’ve been married 10 yrs and marriage is work, but it’s play too. You have good years and not so good years. I can’t imagine life without my husband.

Amy May 13, 2009, 8:44 PM

I don’t feel sorry for Jon and Kate at all. They need to get out of their TV contract, stop whoring themselves and their children out and get back to what matters - working on their marriage and family.

Beth in SF May 13, 2009, 8:48 PM

I can imagine having 8 kids under the age of 10 is quite harrowing, and probably puts a lot of stress on a marriage. Can’t say I didn’t see this coming. I think I made it through 1.5 episodes before I could no longer handle the whining, bitching and utter chaos.

Melissa May 13, 2009, 8:55 PM

Divorce is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. My parents divorced a few years ago and it’s done nothing good for anyone. It only destroed relationships between my family members and has brought lawsuits and fighting over little things. With eight kids, divorce would be the worse possible solution to this road bump.

Jenna May 13, 2009, 9:10 PM

They should get out of the lime light and try and work it out. If they try and work it out with all eyes on them it’s never going to work. And they both have to want to make it work if one of them isn’t in 110% it’s never going to work either way.

I agree… people think that you can just get out of marriage if and when it get’s hard. It shouldn’t be that easy. They made a commitment… TWICE… they have to at least try.

Julie May 13, 2009, 9:32 PM

I think it’s sickening that both John and Kate try to come off as good christians, John is always wearing T-Shirts with a bible verse on it, but yet they are enjoying the Soap Opera that has become their life!
it’s obvious that John and Kate got married when they were too young and needed to wait until they were more mature and ready to take on the responsibility of having so many children.
I think the minute Kate found out she was having sextuplets she had dollar signs in her eyes. She clearly enjoys basking in the limelight and receiving all the freebies. Kate is definently mean to John. Can you blame him for cheating on her.

Hopefully though they will have enough common sense for the kids sake to get counseling and try to work through this. The kids are the ones I feel sorry for , not the greedy money grubbing parents!

Nikki May 13, 2009, 10:19 PM

So Julie…when your spouse is mean to you…cheat. Great advice. Try having 8 kids and see how nice you are all the time.

Nikki May 14, 2009, 7:41 AM

get out of TV you idiots I Don’t feel sorry for any of them.

makeadiff21.com May 14, 2009, 8:41 AM

I can’t imagine the stress of having that many kids. Then they added Hollywood to that? Which again, in itself is unbelievably stressful. To me, it’s only a recipe for disaster. If they don’t have proper boundaries and rules for the family and Hollywood’s involvement in their home, they have no chance to survive. If the parents especially don’t take drastic precautions to protect their relationship, it is doomed to fail. It appears that Kate is enjoying the limelight more than her husband (and I’ve only seen the show a few times). Personally, I don’t think this commitment to doing the show should go on indefinitely. Ya, it’s interesting for the public to see how families that big operate. But really, is it worth the potential breakup of the family? No way. They need to end this now, and use the money they earned doing the show to get help to put the family back together again. They need to be reminded why they are together in the first place, and focus on each other. Kick the cameras out!

Jill May 14, 2009, 12:29 PM

Marriage with kids is stressful. Once you have kids there is not much time that a couple can spend alone to reconnect with each other. I can see where Jon would have his breaking point with their marriage. Each show, Kate is yelling at him, talking down to him in interviews and correcting him as if he is a child. Yes, we all fight with our spouses but our fights are not on camera for the world to see. And, those poor children, have to grow up with many of us knowing the good, the bad, and the ugly (hair cuts). If working on their marriage is something both want to do, getting out and way from the cameras is the only way to go. They need to be able to stay in doors and work out their issues with other with out distractions.

ewok May 14, 2009, 3:36 PM

Can’t say I did not see this coming. Kate would get on anybody’s nerves. Word of wisdom to weak men with over bearing women: Take a loooong look and ask yourself if you can deal with it for the rest of your life? But please don’t ask this after having 8 dang kids. When you do things for the wrong reasons, it bites you in the backside….like money for having a bunch of kids, being on T.V., and freebies that come with it. Kate never shuts up and is very mean to him and he just takes it…only had to watch the show once to never watch it again….she got on my nerves.

Lyris May 14, 2009, 5:03 PM

Is it just me or has Jon always looked unhappy from day one? From the very beginning, Jon never looked happy or enthused. He always had a look on his face as if to say, “I should have never let her talk me into having so many babies. I don’t want this life but it’s too late because I have responsibilities”.

I would hate to see this couple divorce or any for that matter. If they plan to save their marriage, step out of the limelight and get back to basics! They need to think about the future of their children minus the dollar signs.

Emily May 16, 2009, 10:11 AM

This just breaks my heart! This used to be a great show that I could sit down and enjoy with my two young children. I felt like it showed true family values and a home filled with love and excitement. Now I’m not sure what to think of it. I feel so terrible everytime I hear more about Jon and Kate’s marriage problems. I honestly never thought it would come to this. There were many, many episodes were Kate AND Jon both seemed really happy. Everyone has problems in their marriage occasionally and I guess being famous makes it a hundred times worse. But I do think they should try to work it out. They have 8 beautiful children!! Things will never be the same for those kids if they get a divorce. As bad as I hate to say it, maybe they should cut back on the shows and try to get back to reality. I know they need the money but family definitly comes first. I hope and pray they some how make it.