Kentucky Fried Rip-Off!

Think you're gonna waltz right in and get your free chicken with Oprah's coupon?? Think again!

momlogic's Gillian: Anyone who knows me knows that I am a fast food junkie. (Yes, I know it's gross, bad for me, full of hormones, from bad factory farms, and I am pretty much putting garbage in my body -- I still eat it. Don't judge.) So, when I printed out my free chicken coupon from Oprah, I was STOKED! Woo hoo! Colonel, I'm comin' to get ya!

kentucky fried chicken free grilled chicken plate

Three of us trundled down to our local KFC today to cash in our coupons, expecting to try the deliciousness of their NEW grilled chicken. WRONG.

What we found when we got there was INSANE. There was a NEAR RIOT. Apparently, in this economy, KFC didn't think anyone would want free food or that people watch Oprah. This poor manager, who looked like she had been through the wringer, was trying to calmly explain to a customer that because "demand was so high," no FREE chicken was "available." They are only serving 100 orders a day, we were told, and they'd already met their quota. You could come back tomorrow and try to get it when they open (at 10 AM!!) or you would need to fill out a form, attach your coupon, and in SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS you would get a coupon for free chicken in the mail.

Here's the kicker -- you are, of course, welcome to BUY their chicken ... they have plenty of that "available." I thought the guy in front of me was going to have a coronary -- and not from all the grease. He started swearing and stormed out.

There must have been 10 other people in line -- and man were they pissed. Needless to say, we purchased our chicken and left. But it was a little irritating. And how's this for more fowl play -- the coupon is good 'til May 19th ... EXCEPT ON MOTHER'S DAY! Wow. WTF.

kfc coupon example is not good mothers day

And get this -- El Pollo Loco is getting into the mix, offering to redeem KFC's coupons on Mother's Day! In their campaign, "What Does KFC Have Against Moms," they say they'll take your useless coupon and give you a free meal, no mailing required.

I'm not sure about you ... but I'm hitting up the Crazy Chicken. Ole!

UPDATE: KFC is CANCELING the coupon!

Angela  May 8, 2009, 9:49 PM

I really wish everyone would get some prospective! KFC stepped up and it worked out nicely for both parties. They get word out about their grilled chicken and in time people get free chicken. I wish you people complaining would get a grip on reality. KFC did this for the nation and they are being ripped apart for not be able to give away all the chicken. I wonder how many places laughed in Oprah’s people’s faces when they said what they wanted to do!
I’m sure glad I didn’t stand in line with any of the complainers when I went. I sat patiently and gave my info for the rain check and when it comes I will be THANKFUL for the free meal b/c unlike most of the people that downloaded the damn coupons I could actually use a free meal and I’ll be happy to get it when I get my rain check. Who knows by then I might need it more than I do now! Thanks KFC for doing this monumental thing for Americans! It’s amazing to me that everyone expected to waltz in there and get free chicken! Do you have any idea how many people watch Oprah? Do you have any idea how many freaks come out of the wood work when the word “free” is mentioned!?!? I’m just happy my mother taught me to be grateful and I wouldn’t dream of going to a restaurant, fast food or otherwise on mother’s day!

Seriously May 8, 2009, 11:24 PM

Can you fact check before you post negative information about a company? You posted they cancelled the coupon and linked…did you read it? They simply ask that you take your unredeemed coupon to a KFC to get a RAIN CHECK which will have varying dates on it to prevent a bunch of freeloaders taking over the place again and for the trouble, they’re adding a FREE PEPSI.

How about reposting about how they’re handling it well? Were they prepared for the offer to be posted on every bulletin board and blog? Were they ready for the scammers that downloaded tons of coupons and hit different stores? No, because who knew that people would lose their minds over free chicken.

Gesh.

Here’s the info from the link you posted. How about a retraction or update?

FROM THE KFC SITE http://www.kfc.com/coupons/raincheck.asp

We are so sorry, but due to the overwhelming response to our FREE Kentucky Grilled Chicken™ meal coupon, we can no longer redeem the free coupon at this time. But we will honor our commitment to giving you a free Kentucky Grilled Chicken meal.

Please visit a participating KFC restaurant for a rain check form. Complete the form, attach your original coupon , and give it to the KFC restaurant manager or postmark per the form’s instructions, by May 19, 2009, and we’ll send you a rain check for your free Kentucky Grilled Chicken meal at a later date, plus a free Pepsi with our compliments. Your participating KFC restaurant will provide you with the form you need.

Please note that the redemption periods of the rain checks will vary. All other terms and conditions of the original free Kentucky Grilled Chicken coupon will apply.

Roger Eaton
Roger Eaton
KFC® President

mel May 9, 2009, 3:18 AM

Omg, why don’t you try just being grateful this offer was given at all? I went the day after and yes, had to wait 30+ minutes for food and didn’t get to choose my sides, but as a broke college student, I was fine with that. It’s a FREE meal to MILLIONS of people! Use your brain - of course there are going to be long lines, restaurants running out of food, managers making decisions on how to honor the coupon, etc. I think the decision to stagger out the redeem dates is a great idea. You still get food, and you won’t have to wait an hour.

And yes, the Mother’s Day thing makes perfect sense. KFC is already busy with this promotion, can you imagine the Mother’s Day rush? Plus, the lines, the wait.. it would ruin the day. Who is classless enough to take their moms to KFC on Mother’s Day anyway?

But seriously, quit sounding like a spoiled brat. If a long wait and chosen sides really make it seem like such a horrible deal, you aren’t hungry enough to be complaining about food.

mercaties May 9, 2009, 3:28 AM

I think some of you are coming accross a bit stuffy. Not everyone can afford a “five star” restaurant. I’m a mother and I wouldn’t be at all offended to be taken to KFC for mothers day. NO, I’am not a 300 lb redneck either. I would just rather save the money we have than go to some over priced restaurant that isn’t kid friendly and I have to leave a 15% tip.

Proud American May 10, 2009, 1:19 PM

If you go to the KFC cancellation link, you’ll see a video of the President of KFC talking about the need to cancel the promotion. He’s an AUSSIE. The President of KENTUCKY Fried Chicken is not even an American. If there’s any reason to boycott this restaurant it should be for not finding a United States of American to be the head of the Company. I bet the head of their marketing department isn’t American, either. If they were, they would have realized that extending the promotion through May 19th was idiotic and that chaos would ensue at all KFCs.

mary SD May 10, 2009, 3:44 PM

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I couldn’t even print out my coupons. I installed the print coupon app that KFC said I needed to be able print them Only to be told once it was installed that I had already printed my allotted amount of coupons. Oh not so…. Tried again.. same result. Then I tried doing all the things they said delete cookies blah blah blah. Again same result. Gave up.. Im still bitter that the stopped selling extra Crispy chicken any ways. I think it was a nice Idea to offer this, just that is was poorly executed. And as far as the stores loosing revenue. From my understanding they will be reimbursed at some point for all of the coupons used. Probably by Oprah’s people or what ever. When you use a coupon the store you use it at does get reimbursed for the value of the coupon. Thats why they keep them when you give them to them so they can redeem them and make their money back. Just my 2 pennies.

Miss Rocky May 12, 2009, 10:43 PM

well i live in Alaska & no pollo loco here-nor coupons to get used. we went there-1 other person in line not with a coupon—could see huge overflowing tray of the grilled chicken-the store manager says u have to pay & mail this thing in-well if i had money i wouldn’t have gone in 1st place with coupon-I am pissed—no reason here for this to have happened-no big rush or line etc-could see it plain as day & think ridiculous—we only have 2 KFC’s here anyway & they can let them go like the other places—we now have 1 Burger King which is on the Army base-1 wendy’s —3 mcdonalds so what the hell —this was just wrong -who cares if not on Mother’s Day how bout any day

LtDarkstar November 1, 2009, 6:57 AM

I was ripped off to, it made me so mad I even purchased the domains kfcripoff.com and kfcfraud.com to show what a bunch of LIARS they are to the world!

BigAl April 21, 2010, 12:27 PM

Forget the coupon! I just went to get one of those 5 dollar lunches they were advertising. It was a choice between the strips or two piece (wing and drum) meal. They tried to charge me 5.73 for it and it came with NO drink. I said I was going to write an article about it to the local paper until the mgr noticed the overcharge. Still ended up paying 5.23 for it and got no drink or sauce. KFC continues to be a ripoff since the Colonel died and the corporate thugs took over.