MySpace Mom: There Will Never Be Closure

Lori Drew's sentencing has been postponed until July 2. Megan Meier's mom reacts.

myspace suicide mom tina meier with photos of megan meier

Lori Drew, the Missouri mother once accused of scheming over the Internet to humiliate 13-year-old neighbor Megan Meier, who later committed suicide, was supposed to be sentenced in U.S. District Court yesterday for three misdemeanor counts of accessing computers without authorization. The sentence has now been delayed until July 2.

Momlogic spoke with Megan Meier's mom, Tina Meier, and here's what she had to say:

momlogic: What was your reaction when the judge postponed Lori Drew's sentencing until July 2nd?
Tina Meier: I am certainly disappointed that she was not sentenced yesterday. Every time you go, it's an anticipation of what's going to happen, but at the same time, the judge still did not dismiss the case, so it keeps me somewhat hopeful that the judge is truly taking everything into account and thinking extremely hard about what to do at this point, and with everything he's got. I hope he will see there was the intent, it was a game, and I hope the judge will sentence Lori Drew to the maximum jail time, which is three years. The prosecutor has asked for the maximum on each count, which is one year in jail and $100,000. She is facing 3 counts, which could give her a total of three years in jail.

ML: You traveled from Missouri to California to attend the sentencing. Now that it's been postponed, do you think you'll get a sense of closure?
Tina Meier: A lot of people say the word "closure" ... there will never be closure. I hope to walk out of the courtroom knowing the judge has sentenced her to a maximum of three years in prison, and I hope this case will serve as a model for other cases that may arise. Sadly, this will not be the last case. I know others who are going through this and enduring this, and I hope they will have a case to look at and use as a model for people to be penalized. It's extremely stressful to go through this. At the end of the day, I don't make the decision. It's up to the judge, and I have to hope and pray the judge will take his time and make the right call. When I left the courtroom, it was certainly disappointing, but I am going to continue to speak out against bullying and cyber-bullying, so people can understand the effects of this. I am working very hard with the Megan Meier Foundation. We are asked to speak at schools across the USA daily. The way I know it's helping is I had five children from Indonesia send me an e-mail because they are working on a report and they're talking about Megan's story. If I know this story can get to Indonesia, Australia, the U.K., and all over the world, and I answer questions for these middle school children, then I know positive change is happening. And to me, that's amazing. I try to focus on the positives.

ML: Will you return to California for the July 2nd sentencing?
Tina Meier: I will definitely be back for the July 2nd sentencing hearing. We came this far! There is no way I can sit at home and wait.

ML: How is your daughter, Allison, handling all of this?
Tina Meier: I am leaving in an hour and heading back to St. Louis to be with my daughter, Allison. It will be nice to get back home to my daughter, who did not come to California with me. I am trying to keep Allison away from all of this. She's aware of what's going on, but she's almost 13 years old and I want her to enjoy being that age. Certainly, if she has questions we talk about it, we talk openly and honestly, but as far as calling her and telling her about the postponement, I absolutely don't do that. I talk about normal things with her, like what's going on in school. Allison wants to see Lori Drew be served the maximum jail sentence, but as a 13-year-old typical girl, she's into her friends, boys, and everything besides school. She's a great child and we keep a good eye on her, and make sure she's okay. We're on top of things with her. She's gone through a lot, and she's doing very well under the circumstances.

Do you think Lori Drew should get the maximum sentence of three years?

next: 99 Cent Store, Day One: The Ick Factor
Eke May 19, 2009, 2:33 PM

She sure should go to prison. What an immature, evil, thing to do to such a young girl. She has showed no remorse whatsoever. I think she should get more than three years. I feel for the family of this girl. I hope there is justice here.

Anon May 19, 2009, 2:58 PM

“Do you think Lori Drew should get the maximum sentence of three years?”

If Megan were my daughter, she’d be begging for the three years…and would still find me waiting for her when she got back. I applaud Tina Meier for starting the foundation in her daughter’s name to try to make sure other children and mothers don’t have to go through this again. For staying strong and keeping her other dauther Allison’s life as normal as possible. I applaud her for taking the high road. I don’t know if I’d have such strength.

Sara Jane May 19, 2009, 2:58 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Meier have been incredible through out was has become a nation wide story. Their daughter was at a sensitive age and fell under the weight of such cruelty, instigated by an adult. I hope that justice is served on this so-called ‘parent’ and that Lori Drew and her family will know that they are responsible for their actions; cyber-bullying is not lifeless – mindless chatter. It is real and carries a heavy toll on those who suffer from such acts of violence. Yes, I say that cyber bullying is a form of violence.

Did Lori Drew or any member of her family apologize? NO! Have the made any gesture to acknowledge that their ‘words’ led to the death of a sensitive child? Cowards!

Gigohead  May 19, 2009, 4:14 PM

Dragging this out until July is not a bad thing. It gives Mier more time to go on air and discuss this issue until the cows come home. That will make Drew’s case less sympathetic. I can’t wait for judgment day for Lori Drew. It would be good for her to get some jail time so she can feel for a change what’s it like to not be with her daughter, albeit temporarily whereas Mier has to live with this for the rest of her life.

Davidsgirl03 May 19, 2009, 5:06 PM

She should go to prison, and I don’t think 3 years is enough! It’s absolutely unacceptable

Mary May 20, 2009, 1:26 PM

She should get FAR MORE than just three years! What she did was pure evil. I dont know how she can sleep at night. This family (Miers) are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jill (the other one) May 20, 2009, 5:10 PM

She should get, and serve, every single day of that three years, and more.
It just boggles my mind that an adult - herself a mother - could instigate and perpetuate such cruelty against a child.

Anonymous July 7, 2009, 5:16 PM

I am disgusted that the judge is throwing out the conviction of Drew I think she should get life for what she did to Meier’s daughter the same thing happened to my daughter and everyone wanted to throw it under the rug and act like I was overreacting, I am fortunate enough to still have my daughter. God wont let it go unpunished Drew will be judged in his court, “if” she makes it there.

Donna July 7, 2009, 5:58 PM

She deserves 3 years and more. I can’t even imagine the evil mind behind a woman that would even think of doing such a horrible thing to anyone much less a kid. And this judge - what is he thinking?? My heart,thoughts and prayers go out to the Meier family.

Lauren July 7, 2009, 6:12 PM

YES.. she diserves the maximum sentence. it sickens me that a women of her age could actually say such horrible things to a young girl..! what a mean, mean spirit she has!!!
3 YEARs isnt enouph!!! may justice be served for poor tina meier!

megan davis in california July 10, 2009, 9:52 AM

hi i think this story it very very wrong i am a mother and my son is 2 i was to be able to make sure he will be okay using the internet whats make me really sick about this story is that . this is her neighbor? she is grown and its a 13 year old ? what is wrong with the world ? if any one could please tell me what i can do to help this mom that would be great my email is megandavis17@aol.com
people behavior can not be tolerrated and she needs to be convicted . everyone needs to think about their children this could happend anyday to our kids so please again write an email and tell me what i need to do. thank you everyone megan
megandavis17@aol.com

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 3:08 PM

Nice site. Enjoyable and fun reading. I just have one point to offer about tee shirts.