Mother-Daughter Abduction a Hoax

The mother and daughter were seen getting on a plane to Florida, according to news reports.

A missing Pennsylvania woman who called police to say she and her daughter had been kidnapped reportedly was seen taking her daughter by plane to Florida, reports FOX News.

bonnie and julia sweeten abducted

According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, security footage shows Bonnie Sweeten, 38, and Julia Rakoczy, 9, boarding a plane at Philadelphia International Airport hours after Sweeten's frantic 911 call.

This morning, we interviewed the grandmother of Julia, who was so distraught she could barely talk. Now it appears the whole thing was a hoax.

The newspaper reports that authorities now believe Sweeten used a fake ID to buy two one-way tickets to Orlando. Philadelphia news station WPVI also cited unnamed sources saying the pair had boarded a flight to Florida, but reported the destination was Tampa.

Investigators have now concluded that the pair were not abducted following a traffic accident, WPVI reported.

Sweeten had called police Tuesday at 1:50 PM and said that she was locked in the trunk of a car with her daughter and that her SUV had been stolen, after they were involved in a minor traffic accident.

Police found the SUV Wednesday morning, along with a parking ticket which places the car far from the accident's location at 2:20 PM, WPVI reported.

Why would a mother do such a thing? We will keep you posted as more details emerge.

next: I Hate the Ice Cream Truck
Renee May 27, 2009, 9:24 PM

I KNEW IT! After I watched the story on the Today Show I told my husband that something just seemed fishy about the whole thing and I had the same conversation with a lady at work!!!

Anonymous May 27, 2009, 9:37 PM

What is sad is that they impounded a Cadillac with front end damage. Can you imagine the poor innocent owner’s feelings? I wonder if that driver could sue her?

Katie May 27, 2009, 11:11 PM

I too, thought it sounded fishy from the start. I am so glad they are OK, but feel horrible for the father and grandmother who were put through so much torment. I am interested in seeing what will unfold for this woman who cares so little for her family’s feeling.

Stephanie May 28, 2009, 6:35 AM

YES!!! I NAILED IT, I NEW IT ALL WAS A BIG FAKE LIE.

The truth May 28, 2009, 8:41 AM

Hoax. It was obvious once the facts started coming out.

Let’s not forget this piece of trash played the “race card” by claiming that 2 black men adbucted her and the poor child.

She needs to do jail time.

Emma May 28, 2009, 9:04 AM

We women have amazing intuition lol it seemed like a hoax to me too.

Jill May 28, 2009, 9:44 AM

I’m very curious about her motives… she probably will have custody taken away (or at least supervised for a while). I wonder if she thinks its all worth it…

Gigohead  May 28, 2009, 9:57 AM

I saw the Today show interview yesterday with the dad and he was crying on TV. I’m not sure why anyone would do something so cruel. I think it will hurt real people who need help since now everyone is suspect of being a hoaxer.

They authorities should remove this child from her care because clearly she has mental issues. She must be mentally unstable to come up with such an elaborate hoax.

QueenMother May 28, 2009, 2:05 PM

The media is focusing on the wrong thing regarding this white woman’s kidnapped by two Black men HOAX!!! All of this sympathy for her is pissing me off! None of these fools are addressing the blatant racism and white privilege that gives heffas like her the right to be racist and get away with it! Police harassed the Black owner and compounded a black Caddilac — just because both are black and a white woman said…

Right now, I cannot care that she left her 8 month old or had her 15 year old daughter post a plea for her mothers return. I prayed and cried at the moment I head of the HOAX. Right now, I cannot care that she stole someone else’s identity for her and her daughter to board a plane and get to Disneyland! When did identity theft get elicit sympathy for anyone except this attractive white woman with a daughter?! This witch, of all the hoaxes to pull, played the race card! Writing the media now…

WhatIf? May 28, 2009, 3:04 PM

Maybe she did it b/c the husband is abusing her or her daughter? Has anyone thought of that?

Gigohead  May 28, 2009, 5:21 PM

There was no excuse..abuse or no abuse for what she did. If she was being abused why of all places would you hid out in Disney Land. This woman is a sick person. She needs to be hospitalized and her children removed from her care.

Nell May 29, 2009, 2:57 AM

Queen Mother,

Well, she does have a mental problem, that’s for sure. I always feel bad for another human suffering, which she obviously is. Now, the race card? She was COMPLETELY wrong for that. There is going to come a time when white women call “wolf” so many times, till they won’t be believed right away. That day is coming.