No Pimps and Hos Welcome at This Prom

Should schools ban songs from prom? This one did.

car radio as a compact disc is inserted

Sweet little babies grow up to be teenagers who "Get Low," "Right Round," and "Smack That." No, we are not talking about the teens who actually become prostitutes, just the ones who enjoy the top 40 dance hits of today. Several of these popular tracks glorify prostitution, casual sex, and inspire some major bumping and grinding on the dance floor. Go observe some teenagers at a party ... it's a sight to see.

Gone are the days when prom meant wearing gloves and drinking punch, and polite invitations to slow-dance. After all the hard work of high school and applying to college, many students go on to schools that host "Pimp and Ho" theme parties. It's so charming.

The Women's Health and Issues Club at Arcadia High School in Southern California decided to take action. They made a list of three hundred songs that they find objectionable and degrading to women and asked that those songs not be included in the playlist at the prom. This request led to the school banning twenty songs:

"Shake" - Pitbull
"Get Buck in Here" - P. Diddy
"Drop" - Timbaland
"Low" - Flo Rida (feat. T-Pain)
"One More Drink" - Ludacris
"Starstruck" - Lady Gaga
"Go Girl" - Pitbull
"Right Round" - Flo Rida
"Smack That" - Akon
"Lollipop" - Lil' Wayne
"Get Low" - Lil' Jon
"Turning Me On" - Keri Hilson (feat. Lil' Wayne)
"Rockin' That Thang" - The Dream
"Beep" - Bobby Valentino (feat. Young Jac)
"Boom, Shake, Drop" - DJ Laz
"Turn Me On" - Kevin Little
"I'm In Miami" - LMFAO
"A Mille" - Lil' Wayne
"Bojangles" - Pitbull
"Put that Thang Down" - Ying Yang Twins

What do you think about high schools banning songs at prom? Okay or no way?

next: Plus-Sized Yoga Classes -- Seriously?!
Kristen May 16, 2009, 12:10 PM

I think this is FANTASTIC!!! What’s better is that it was a club made up of teenagers that started it. The music that they asked NOT be played is disgusting and should NOT be considered artistic.
Good for this club, they are our true leaders for the next generation.

P May 16, 2009, 12:10 PM

Let teens be teens! This is ridiculous. Sorry if it’s a rude wake up call, but attention whining moms: your 16 and 17 year olds are not babies; they’re young adults!

Kristen May 16, 2009, 12:24 PM

Yes P, they are young adults and it was these young adults that asked for this kind of stuff NOT to be played.

Monica May 16, 2009, 3:27 PM

I think its a great idea. I’ve seen it been there and not done that when I was younger. I already know how they act at proms and dances. Nothing short of an orgy. I also hope they have plenty of parental supervision as most proms need anyhow.

Anonymous May 16, 2009, 3:31 PM

Wow, maybe I would have actually gone to my prom if they promised not to play all that crap. Really, it’s all crap. They wouldn’t play any of the death metal that I liked to listen to in high school so they shouldn’t play all this crap too.
The kids made up this list? That’s kinda cool. Good for them.

Rachel May 16, 2009, 4:51 PM

OMG who even cares? They’re songs!!!!

Anonymous May 16, 2009, 8:01 PM

today’s music sucks anyway

MarMar May 16, 2009, 11:22 PM

My school prom banned “Mony Mony” when the prom was held at a restaurant, at least until it was closed. (Anyone who knows the lyrics shouted in-between the lyrics knows why.) There were other songs banned as well. But then again, I went to a Catholic school, I was used to that sort of thing. This is a PUBLIC school, right? And are we talking the Clear-Channel radio-friendly versions of the songs?

K&C's mom May 16, 2009, 11:25 PM

Good for them!!!! I find a lot of music offensive, and I’m glad someone stood up for what they believe in!! They played some of this stuff at my high school reunion, and very few people danced!!!

Briellis May 17, 2009, 10:20 AM

I love teen feminists. Makes me nostalgic for high school.

Mae May 18, 2009, 10:58 PM

This is just silly. Any intelligent, *well-raised* teen can dance to these songs at the prom without losing their grip on reality. Have a little faith!

Anonymous May 25, 2009, 5:16 PM

Strange world in which everything thinks we should ban Christian music, but they get all out of joint if someone threatens to take away their pimp and ho music.

Christy May 26, 2009, 7:58 PM

I think it is awesome that these young women have the courage to stand up for themselves and demand the respect they deserve. Many people downsize the importance of lyrics and say “It’s just a song,” while ignoring the meaning behind the lyrics and what they represent.

Brenda  June 2, 2009, 11:34 PM

If the young ladies of the Women’s Health and Issues club had been able to get dates to the Prom they would have been thinking about what dress to wear and how much fun they would have instead of how to impose their musical taste and moral beliefs on the rest of the school. If your teenagers aren’t intelligent enough to dance to the music without imitating the lyrics you have bigger problems than Prom.

Golf September 14, 2010, 10:38 AM

In related news, Tiger Woods stars in a movie called “My Favorite 18 Holes.” It turns out it’s actually about golf.

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 3:15 PM

Thank you for this article, your internet site is doing good service towards the fashion business!

hello January 20, 2011, 8:42 AM

Employed with specified situations is rattling trying and I expect we soul to be rattling thorough in dealings with specified situations. Gripping things mentioned here in this instal. Convey you
birthday wishes

Annett Radaker January 22, 2011, 3:52 PM

Coming from the standpoint of a fellow member in the fashion sector, I truly appreciate your article.