Parents of Fat Kids Should be Arrested!

Recently, the mother of a 555 lb 14-year-old boy was arrested for medically neglecting him by allowing him to become obese. All I can say is that it's about time parents were held responsible for raising kids the size of baby elephants.

obese kids eating take-out by tv

Radical Mommy: As most parents out there are aware, being a parent is a huge responsibility -- it's also a huge pain in the ass.

I'm not saying that the children themselves are a pain (much), I'm saying that looking after them can be. In particular, cooking for kids can be a huge chore. Kids are picky eaters, and as parents, we're often too exhausted or overwhelmed to fight the good fight and get them to eat things that are healthy for them.

Often, exhausted parents resort to slapping a Big Mac or a pizza pie in front of a child because it's the easiest thing to do. As far as I'm concerned, when it's done in moderation and in conjunction with a good, physically active routine for the child, then more power to ya -- take the easy route. But when that's all a child eats, while sitting his fat ass on the couch -- then that is a freakin' crime, and you, the parent, should be held responsible.

Now I am not perfect -- my son doesn't always eat a perfectly balanced diet. In fact, last night he ate a cupcake before dinner and after dinner, so as you can see, I'm in no way a stickler.

The difference is, my 5-year-old son exercises. He takes swimming lessons twice a week, he plays soccer on Sundays, he runs around the park like a lunatic, and on the weekends you can't keep him out of the pool.

I know exactly what is happening right now as you all read this -- you're thinking that a lot of people don't have the luxury of a swimming pool in their backyard and many people cannot afford swimming lessons and soccer league. But let me tell you this: we save money so that my son can have access to these things, and as for the pool -- I live in Southern California and it came with the house.

Like many of you, I work, and I have to make my son dinner when I get home, so I know how tired you are when you get home and are faced with the ease of a frozen pizza versus the hassle of a healthy, cooked meal. Not only do I know, I've resorted to it on many occasions.

But as far as I am concerned, there is NO excuse for letting your kids get fat -- in fact, it makes me cringe to see kids that are even 10 lbs overweight. It's downright abusive to let your kids eat s*** and lay around like beached whales because you can't be bothered to cook for them or play with them and get them off their fat asses.

Being fat as a child is not only physically damaging, it's also socially and mentally damaging -- we all know kids will make fun of, and people will judge, your child for being overweight.

The turbulent waters of childhood and adolescence are hard enough to navigate when there is nothing physically "wrong" with you, so why would you allow your child to be set apart by something that can be 100% controlled? And don't tell me your child has a medical problem that makes him obese, because he doesn't (only something like 2% of the population has a medical condition that leads to obesity) -- his only problem is that he stuffs too many Ho Hos and Ding Dongs into his mouth and doesn't exercise enough.

Call me a bitch, I don't care. But if you allow your child to become obese, that child should be taken away from you -- because you are abusing him. It's as simple as that. You wouldn't allow a parent to give their child drugs, would you? Well, being morbidly obese at a young age is just as dangerous as doing drugs.

next: Jon Gosselin is NOT a Stay-at-Home Dad!
noop May 29, 2009, 3:43 PM

seriously- what the hell business is it of yours. along with religion, food , exercise, etc. is no one else’s business. btw, if your so sick at seeing fat people, live it! don’t accept service from any- that means your health care professionals too- just let that ambulance with the chunky EMTs pass you by when need them most, push away the 10 pound overweight nurse and refuse CPR on your child from the fat ER doc. Oh yeah, no retards allowed either, right?

Liza May 29, 2009, 4:18 PM

It’s so funny noop how you’re not even willing to put your name up. First off it is a parents RESPONSIBILITY to raise a child in a healthy enviornment. Feeding junk food and fatening foods is neither healthy nor RESPONSIBLE. If NO ONE takes responsibility for this the average life span is going to shrink because it’s a MEDICAL FACT that OBESE people have shorter lifespans and substantial medical bills. I’m sick of hearing “it’s genetic”. Well, guess what, it’s not genetic when you ate that whole candybar. It may be genetic to gain weight easily, but it’s not genetic to eat FATTENING FOODS. My mother died because of being overweight and I pray to God that people get it together so other parents and children can actually live long lives.

Jen  May 29, 2009, 4:32 PM

My child is fat. He was also diagnosed with heart disease at 1.5, has been on Beta Blockers to keep his heart beating and which also dramatically slow his metabolism, and is on strict orders not to exercise any more than “lightly” and to stop if he begins feeling lightheaded, which is often, so as to avoid that pesky thing known colloquially as heart failure. He’s 11.

God bless your child that he is able to swim, play soccer and sports. Mine will never, in his entire life (however long that may be) be able to. But good for you.

So, you know what? Bite me with your “don’t tell me your child has a medical problem” crap - you have no clue what the hell people you meet face, or why they are overweight.

Personally, I’d rather have a fat kid than a kid with an attitude like yours that feels the need to denigrate people with a sneering condescension because they struggle with money, nutritional food, finding the time between two jobs to shuffle their kid to soccer, or can’t afford to buy a house, much less find one that comes with a swimming pool in Southern California.

We get it. You’re better than us. Those not as good as you should be jailed. Thanks for letting us know. Feel better now?

Jeez.

HaHa Jen May 29, 2009, 4:37 PM

I think “noop” is fat and the article pissed her off.

mommy<3 May 29, 2009, 4:40 PM

I totally agree with this!!! Everytime I see a heavyset child, I feel so bad for them!!!

Frugal Babe May 29, 2009, 4:55 PM

I gotta say, there’s a huge difference between a 550 pound 14 year old, and a kid who is ten pounds overweight. The 550 pound kid probably needs to be hospitalized in order to get the care he needs, and that might involve forcibly taking him from his family to do so. But taking all overweight children away from their families would probably be counterproductive.
What we need are programs to make nutritious food more affordable (like farm subsidies for things like kale and carrots and apples, instead of corn and soybeans and wheat), and areas for exercise more accessible and safe. Parents who live in inner city neighborhoods might not feel safe letting their kids play outside, and chances are there’s no money for a Wii Fit either.
To clarify, I’m a health nut. My son eats green smoothies made of blended up kale and veggies, and snacks on things like bananas rolled in chia seeds. We’re mostly vegan, and steer clear of all processed food. But I recognize that our lifestyle is extreme, and never try to foist it on anyone else.
I think most parents want what’s best for their children, and are doing their best. Encouragement, education, and assistance will probably have more impact than efforts to try to take overweight kids away from their parents.

felicia May 29, 2009, 5:48 PM

I am glad that finally a parent is being held responsible for an over weight child.

Jeez May 29, 2009, 6:09 PM

9 times out of 10 that I see a fat kid, the Mom is fat too. It’s a lifestyle. It’s a choice. ANYONE can lose weight, even those with medical issues. BUT RE: the child with the heart problem, if his weight is due to medication, then that is TOTALLY different, that is, IF his weight is due to the medication. And not poor eating habits, then no matter if he can exercise or not, his diet can change. I do question why a doctor would prescribe medication that could cause obesity, considering obesity is very VERY dangerous and causes heart problems. If the medicine caused the weight, then is it counter productive? It may help the heart, yet strain the heart at the same time by adding on weight? Just curious…

Jodi May 29, 2009, 6:15 PM

There is a HUGE difference in a child, at 14, being 10 pds. overweight and weighing 550 lbs. Congrats on making enough money to own a house with a pool in So. Cal. Congrats on having enough money to put nutritious food on the table, have swim lessons and soccer. People who write articles like this have clearly never been truly poor. I’m not saying that it’s ok for a 14 year old to weigh 550 lbs but you also have a problem with a 14 year old being “10 lbs. overweight”? I think YOU have weight issues and are clearly afraid of being or becoming overweight. It’s nice to know that you and your children will the first ones to stand up and point out all the fatties. All the bullying and ridicule this child may face will come from your children and their friends. Congrats and raising intolerant children with ego centric views on life. Perhaps next time you could part of the solution instead of simply pointing and staring. How’s the view from atop that High Horse? You should be so thankfully you don’t have to walk among those poor, fat commoners. Lucky you.

Bess May 29, 2009, 6:34 PM

it’s sad to see a perfectly healthy person end up being obese and put their own health at risk. the parents DO have to take on SOME responsibility into allowing this on their child or succumbing to their child’s ill behavior into feeding them unhealthy diets as well as habits (ie. walking all over the parents by throwing hard-to-handle tantrums). Something HAS to be done. SEEK HELP if necessary. Obesity CANNOT be fought alone!

jeez again May 29, 2009, 6:50 PM

Why are people attacking the author? I did not read her article from an angle of her being better than anyone else. What gives? I know many low income families that are very overweight. It has nothing to do with being able to “afford” healthy food. It’s the choices people make. For some it’s easier to give their kid a $0.99 frozen pizza and a Hi-C. But that same person could also nix the soda and give their kid some skim milk too. To feed a family of 4 someone may buy 4, $0.99 frozen pizzas and a 6 pack of soda. For the same price someone could buy english muffins, a can of pasta sauce and some low fat skim milk cheese and a gallon of milk. There is some healthier pizza and drink for dinner. It’s ALL ABOUT CHOICE. Don’t attack the author because she can afford swimming lessons and soccer. She said she made sacrifices for that. I see fat Moms with fat kids getting their nails done while drinking Starbucks coffee. If they wanted their kid in a sport they could give up some of the ‘finer things’ in life. Again, it’s ALL ABOUT CHOICE.

Anonymous May 29, 2009, 7:38 PM

it’s called malnutrition. both the kids in africa and the kids in america have it, though it’s the exact opposite it’s still called malnutrition.

Anonymous May 29, 2009, 7:42 PM

Wow.. what a contraversial topic. To me, there is quite a difference between a child that is 10 pounds over weight and obese. Unless there is a medical reason, I feel that the parent is responsible if their child is over weight/obese. A parent buys the food and puts it on the table. It really makes me angry when I see and obese mother/father with their obese child. Example… one day at the grocery store, I saw a morbidly obese teen following her moridly obese mother in the provided electric carts buying doughnuts and other crap like that. That mother is KILLING her daughter.

Sam May 29, 2009, 8:12 PM

STOP WASTING PRECIOUS FOOD ON THE FAT ONES AND END WORLD HUNGER!

Daryl May 29, 2009, 9:08 PM

I agree with the author. I understand that she may be more financially stable than others but the basic principles of health (eat healthy, exercise, get enough sleep) can be achieved on any budget. It is a FACT, the majority of overweight children become overweight adults. It is damaging to their self esteem, causes a magnitude of health conditions, and it taxes our medical system and insurance premiums. In my experience, overweight children usually have overweight parents and it’s a generational cycle. Obesity is on the rise and one of the main factors is the amount of screen time we put in…video games, television, and computers should be limited/completely taken away for young children (and for those in a huff ready to fire back at me…I’ve spent over an hour exercising. I don’t watch TV during the day and I run after my kids all day). I believe the author’s point with the 10 pounds comment (and she can correct me if i’m wrong) is that if they’re young and they’re already overweight, it’s only going to escalate from there. It’s the snowball effect. So if you’re overweight, I don’t think this article is new to you. I can see you being slightly offended in it’s harshness, but sometimes a wake up call is necessary.

Nan May 29, 2009, 9:40 PM

I agree that parents who let/help their children become gigantic are abusive/weak/neglectful & lazy. I am not wealthy, I am a single school teacher & cannot even afford my own house in CA, but my family does not eat cheap fast food & crap. I encourage them to make healthy food choices, & get off their a**es in order to get some physical exercise. It takes effort to be a semi-decent parent!Obesity introduces all kinds of serious health issues for kids, so ,yeah, it’s risking your child’s safety & well-being. Being low-income is not an excuse, but being a lazy, stupid parent is. I’ve seen it at my job for the past 20 years…

RachelAZ May 30, 2009, 12:00 AM

I totally agree. There is NO reason for obese children and parents should be held accountable for ruining their child’s lives by letting them become that way.

jennifer May 30, 2009, 1:37 AM

ita! it is abusive and neglectful!

Jen  May 30, 2009, 1:54 AM

“then that is TOTALLY different, that is, IF his weight is due to the medication. And not poor eating habits, then no matter if he can exercise or not, his diet can change. I do question why a doctor would prescribe medication that could cause obesity, considering obesity is very VERY dangerous and causes heart problems.”

Because obesity could cause problems for him when he’s fifty, and his defective heart (which he was born with) could stop now, that’s why. Because kids with heart conditions are not high up on the “research dollars” winfall schedule, and because we make due with what we can to keep these kids alive.

Beta blockers are prescribed every day to keep hearts beating regularly. To do that, the metabolism slows down. Perhaps to the doctor, being 20 pounds overweight is not nearly as big of an issue as the heart not beating regularly. It truly amazes me the judgment people feel capable of passing when you have no idea what the situation of the other person is.

GPC May 30, 2009, 3:37 AM

I’m overweight (not obese) and guess what, it’s my own damn fault. In fact, I got called back to the doctor for Tuesday as I went for my physical last week. And my doctor is going to kick my buttocks! And you know what, HE SHOULD!!! I totally agree with this woman because I know from personal experience that I am the one shoving food down my gullet. Bravo for coming out and saying all of this Radical Mommy. Because it’s TRUE! It’s time there’s a reality check going on on this continent….a lot of us are lazy slobs…shameful considering a lot of people in this world are starving.