Prom Date Costs Student Graduation Date

USA Today: An Ohio senior is suspended today from the fundamentalist Baptist school he has attended since kindergarten for attending a public school prom.

promex270.jpg
The Courier in Findlay, Ohio, reports that Tyler Frost, 17, danced and held hands with his girlfriend at the Findlay High prom, attended by about 800 students.

Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, hand holding and rock music. Frost's grandmother, Karen Frost, who teaches at Heritage Christian, said she had been praying for her grandson to "make the right decision" and skip the prom.

But Frost told the website he never wavered from his decision to attend with Rebecca Smooty.

Heritage principal Tim England said Frost will receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments and will be banned from graduation ceremonies, but will receive his diploma after completing his finals.

Frost's father, Stephan Johnson, said the suspension is unfair and that he plans to sue the school.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

AM  May 12, 2009, 1:31 PM

I hope the dad does sue the school. The school does not have the right to enforce their rules for activities students attend outside the school. By suspending the boy and not allowing him to attend his graduation the school is robbing him of his right to reap the fruits of his lifelong labor.

nicole May 12, 2009, 1:33 PM

Absolutely ridiculous and a perfect example of why I can’t stand organized religion. Get off your freaking high horse and catch up to the times. I love all these “Christian” do gooders that think they are so high and mighty for living for their Lord and doing as he would want. However, isn’t the biggest and greatest thing about God that he forgives our sins? I would think the punishment being brought on this kid shows no forgiveness. Pathetic!

Jodi May 12, 2009, 5:34 PM

I hope the dad does sue. What the student does away from school property is he decision. Their rules are to be followed on campus and campus alone. They can not play big brother and police their students activities and personal decisions away from their campus.

Lisa May 12, 2009, 6:59 PM

I hope this teen is smart enough to break free from this cult. Sounds like he’s already questioning it, otherwise he wouldn’t have broken their rules.

anon May 12, 2009, 9:35 PM

Harsh to say it’s a cult because I think it is not, but I hate the legalism. You can’t dictate a person. Even God wouldn’t. What’s so bad about going to the prom? It’s part of growing up, and the memories that come along with it. I don’t see anything wrong with his decision to go.

Anonymous May 13, 2009, 12:49 PM

Never judge God by manmade religions. Even Jesus was against religion. Satan came to steal, kill and destroy, but Jesus came that we would have life, and life abundantly.

anonymouse May 14, 2009, 3:36 PM

thank you, Nicole.

Anonymous May 15, 2009, 5:05 PM

The school does have the right to expell Tyler because he attends a private school. However, I believe that the rules are from way back when. I mean not being able to hold hands, dancing at prom, I think that every teen looks forward to prom. Tyler has an exciting story to tell his future kids and grandkids about his prom. lol. But I think that it’s a little too old fashioned and that it’s prom, not dirty dancing. The school should appreciate the fact that they did a good job of showing Tyler the right path to go down to not act like a maniac because after he does get his diploma he’ll be pushed into the real world anyway.