The Recession is Driving Moms to Drink

Our survey finds that 1 in 3 moms are turning to vices like overeating, drinking, drugs and gambling to cope.

stressed woman

During times of hardship and financial crisis, moms have historically been the ones keeping the family together. But what happens when mom reaches her breaking point? Momlogic.com surveyed moms -- and learned the situation is dire.

Our survey results reveal that:

1 in 3 moms are turning to vices like overeating, drinking, drugs, and gambling to cope
64% of moms feel intensely negative emotions
50% of moms are less satisfied with their lives now than before the economic downturn
• Of moms with partners who have lost their jobs, 80% feel overwhelmed and nearly 50% say they spend more time fighting and less time having sex
1 in 4 moms are having less sex
27% of moms 25-34 want more children but are holding off because of the recession

Psychotherapist and mom of two Jill Spivack offers the following coping strategies:

Remember: You are not alone. No matter how isolated you feel,you are not the only one going through this. Hundreds of thousands of women are in the same boat you are, and they can provide invaluable emotional support.

Let loved ones lighten your load.Rather than turning to vices, turn to your spouse, parents and friends who can support you and help you release your tension.This is an opportunity to bond with neighbors, family, and friends, and lean on each other for help.

Increase physical activity.In this recession, moms are more stressed and anxious than ever. Exercise, sports, deep breathing, meditation and yogaare all proven to relieve stress. Even if you can get in fifteen minutes of exercise or meditation after the kids go to bed, that will help decrease your anxiety.

Try to maintain a positive attitude. Acknowledge that economic downturns can be frightening to everyone, but the economy will turn around. You need to stay as positive as you can for your family. Make a list of the things you feel are blessings in your life (healthy children, a beautiful environment, a loving relationship with your spouse, etc.) and post them up where you can review them daily.

If you are having feelings that you want to hurt yourself or kill yourself, including having a plan, acting recklessly, seeing no reason to live (extreme hopelessness) -- call someone immediately! The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.

Still struggling? See your family doctor or mental health practitioner, or visit a community health clinic, local hospital, or mental health facility. You can also gain support by talking to a spiritual leader, school counselor, or joining an online support group.

Click below to protect your marriage and kids in this recession:

Click here to see Jill Spivack's appearance on "Today" discussing momlogic's recession survival guide.

Come back tomorrow for our Momlogic Recession Survival Guide, full of inventive strategies to empower you to not only survive but thrive. We'll share how to get FREE BABYSITTING, FREE CLOTHES ... even FREE SUMMER CAMP!

next: Partridge Family Mom Gets Nekkid at 75?!
STRESSED May 12, 2009, 3:31 PM

Trying to buy our first home after many years being married with 3 children. Overwhelming to say the least. Mortgage too high. Turned to alcohol when we had to move from our rented house.
Alcohol calms me and puts a little smile on my face. Sometimes laugh too much. But I don’t want to rely on that and am against anti-depressents.

ame i. May 12, 2009, 6:54 PM

Ha, abbi! Years (ok, decades ago) I liked the high before dinner. Tried it a year or so ago, HATED IT! Paranoia!
Thank God the recession seems to be helping the business my husband works for but that can change in a hot minute.
I want a couple of glasses of wine after I get the kids to bed and after my husband turns in. He drives 90 minutes twice a day for work,so he settles into bed before I do.
By the time I’ve taken care of evening duties, I’m quite awake.
I find it odd that I would turn to wine to make me drowsy instead of the Ambien I’m prescribed, but by the time I have time to let an Ambien start working, I don’t have 8 hours left to sleep.
I do find that an hour after lunch to relax, read, nap for no longer than 30 minutes (longer makes me feel more tired) really improves my mood for the afternoon/early evening. I look forward to picking up my girls from school and to my husband coming home.

rugbymom May 26, 2009, 3:47 PM

I think there is another solution that many doctors and bloggers may not suggest, God. I’m not pushing Him on anyone, but it is something to consider. I have drawn closer to Him during this extremely difficult year, and at one point I thought my marriage was over, my children were not getting the attention they need, my job was horrible and my husband was unemployed. I now have a good job where I am paid fairly, my husband (after finding employment, then being laid off…twice) is now a SAHD. Our marriage is getting better all the time and I was able to quit a second job to spend more time with my kids. The one consistent thing throughout this incredibly tough year was God. I sought Him daily, put him first, tithed what little I could and prayed heartily all the time.

I am not saying your problems will go away. I am saying He will see you through, comfort you, and heal your broken-heart. He has done this and more for us. Take it from someone who always when to alcohol first as a coping mechanism! You just end up digging a deeper hole, rather than pulling yourself out of one!

Yzkaddtz June 22, 2009, 4:38 AM

gTuWvA comment4 ,

Online Banking Guide October 18, 2010, 2:47 PM

I think that is an interesting point, it made me think a bit. Thanks for sparking my thinking cap. Sometimes I get so much in a rut that I just feel like a record.

Rory Feliu October 25, 2010, 12:33 AM

My buddy and I have been just talking over this specific article, she actually is continually endeavouring to prove me incorrect! I will present her this post and additionally rub it in a little!

Donita Camidge October 25, 2010, 5:51 PM

After reading a number of your posts I really found this specific one to generally be excellent. I’ve got a blog site also and want to repost a number of snips of your content on my blog website. Would it be alright if I do this as long I personal reference your blog or create a back-link to the write-up I took the snip from? Otherwise I understand and would not do it without your acceptance . I have book marked this article to twitter and squidoo account intended for reference. Anyway thank you either way!

Clarissa Giambanco October 26, 2010, 9:22 PM

We’ve been traveling like a bat out of hell.

Audry Sisomphou October 27, 2010, 9:53 AM

My mom and I wish to develop a blog site similar to this for our internet site, I stumbled across your website looking for some ideas on the theme and design. I am taking some html coding course in college but not certain that I would have the capacity to develop a internet site like this one just yet. Did you code this website on your own or retain the services of a qualified?

Jefferey Speak October 27, 2010, 6:59 PM

I think this says it well, Timing is everything.

Justin Mercadante October 28, 2010, 10:34 AM

I reckon I’m going to do that soon.

Lavern Fontenot October 29, 2010, 1:50 PM

I expect a lot of.

Vance Waterman October 30, 2010, 11:05 AM

Judging from what top experts say regarding , what I have is an indisposition about.

Clifford Terepka October 30, 2010, 6:31 PM

You can’t compel them do your bidding and I remixed it for you in this article.

Marcus Krzemien October 31, 2010, 9:53 AM

I’m a noob, so you understand where I’m coming from.

Gene Few November 2, 2010, 5:35 PM

Yes, you can try the BlogEngine wiki to make a start if you want to use Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, VistaDB, or other databases. It can be more popular blog platform for blogengine.net in the future Smile

Coy Finney November 3, 2010, 12:04 PM

Let’s get eyeball to eyeball on.

free iphone 4 November 3, 2010, 4:34 PM

Hi

Saran Deras November 9, 2010, 9:25 AM

How do jokers get old traps?

Penni Rifenburg November 10, 2010, 7:41 AM

My Internet connection is being quite flaky today.