Saudi Girl, 8, Divorces 50-year-old Husband

Associated Press: An 8-year-old Saudi girl has divorced her middle-aged husband after her father forced her to marry him last year in exchange for about $13,000, her lawyer said Thursday.

8saudi270.jpg
Saudi Arabia has come under increasing criticism at home and abroad for permitting child marriages. The United States, a close ally of the conservative Muslim kingdom, has called child marriage a "clear and unacceptable" violation of human rights.

The girl was allowed to divorce the 50-year-old man who she married in August after an out-of-court settlement had been reached in the case, said her lawyer, Abdulla al-Jeteli. The exact date of the divorce was not immediately known.

A court in the central Oneiza region previously rejected a request by the girl's mother for a divorce and ruled that the girl would have to wait until she reached puberty to file a petition then.

There are no laws in Saudi Arabia defining the minimum age for marriage. Though a woman's consent is legally required, some marriage officials don't seek it.

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Family Says 45-year-old Mom is Missing
rugbymom May 1, 2009, 11:21 AM

Where are all the other comments? When the rest of this country wakes up and sees this post (I’m going out on a limb here) I think there will be a lot of outraged moms. I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Having laws to make this legal does not change the fact that it is pedofilia. Using religion to justify gross sexual misconduct is almost more disgusting than the act itself.

melissa May 1, 2009, 1:10 PM

i can NOT believe that any country would allow a baby…because that is what an 8 year old is…to do anything other than attend school. marriage?! that is an outrage. i can’t get over this!!

Carrot May 1, 2009, 10:01 PM

people have justified perversions since the bible days. This father should be made to pay the money back and the girl should get a settlement so she can get her education. A possible future lawyer in her country to change these laws.

Ayana May 1, 2009, 10:06 PM

May somebody tell me please. What is the different of Islam and Muslim people?

Ryan May 1, 2009, 10:32 PM

i don’t know what should i call such a people in saudi Arabia murders or crezy people? A father selling his own doughter who is an 8 years old that is actually crezyness and he realy realy spost to see a docter for his brian because he is sick.

mohamed May 1, 2009, 10:41 PM

Man i think that is crezyness too, they don’t have to do that to a kid or all the women that is violence and world should stop them doing stupid things and they using the name of Religion they are liaring.

Mary May 1, 2009, 10:44 PM

And in the United States we arrested Moms for making their unruly children walk. This worls has some crazy standards

Momof5 May 1, 2009, 11:33 PM

Or for that matter, Mary, we get arrested for disciplining our children in public. Mine still get little butt spanks when they are overly crazy (screaming the “I hate you’s or the I want that tantrums)or just plain rude to someone in a store.

Jackie May 2, 2009, 12:33 AM

So what happened to the 50 year old man and the father?? Did they just walked away freely after what they had done?
I hope the 50 year old man and the father that sold his own daughter burn in he”doublehockeysticks”.

JJ May 2, 2009, 1:56 AM

I lived in abroad (Middle East) due to my job. Often I wondered why there were blonde haired little girls and boys there. Without going into details I wondered if somehow these were children taken from the USA.

Loki May 2, 2009, 2:50 AM

@ JJ
The Western countries are not the only countries that have Blonde people.Middle-east/East people are not restricted to dark-hair.

And to other readers.Middle east (or Saudi Arabia,in particular) isnt all “pure” and “innocent” as u expect.Only Makkah and Madinah Munawra are,coz there are twice more tough laws there and the fact that non-muslims are not allowed to enter.A friend of mine (a Palestinian) told me that there are just as many heinous crimes/acts in Saudi Arabia as in the rest of the world.There’s even Homosexuality there (yipe!)

(Btw,im a muslim.The name’s just a net-nick)

So the next time anyone hears such news/stories as this,dont think it’s Makkah or Madina.

@ Article
Well,atleast she’s free now.
Shame something as sick and blasphemous as this happened.(And before anyone twist’s his/her panties and throws a bf-Islam has nothing to do with this,as it is said “a person can marry only if they reach puberty” and i cant say anything about the age factor but it’s obvious that a difference of one year is allowed between the couple.And-for reasons quite obvious,the “four wife case” is only applicable if the other wife has a problem or if the husband can give each wife her proper share and time)

This was a clear case of greed and paedophilia.
Hope the girl doesnt have anything to regret.

Maria May 2, 2009, 3:00 AM

To the person that wanted to know what it the difference between Islam and Muslim, I will tell you. Muslims are the followers of Islam. Islam is the religion. People that do this are not following Islam. They are following custom. In many countries where Islam is the religion there is a fine line between what is done and what should or shouldn’t be done according to Islamic law. To the other person who posted about blond/blue eyed kids thinking they aren’t Middle Eastern,WRONG! There are many blond haired, blue eyed Arabs that if you did not hear them speak, or see the woman in hijab (headscarf) you would think they were non-Arab. Many Arab countries have fair haired/eyed people, just depends on what you perceive to be Middle East, since there was no country listed just a label.

Anna2009 May 2, 2009, 3:06 AM

This definitely is pedophil behaviour on the man’s part. As to the father selling her into marriage for 13.000, he should be in jail also. Disgusting and degrading a small child is the worse crime in any language or country I can possibly think of. Eight yrs. old that is just a baby and a 3rd grader in school. I can’t imagine how that poor little girl felt when he wanted her sexually. I sincerely hope she will be alright mentally as she grows older. However, I seriously doubt it without proper medical care and psychic counciling. How can any country allow this to happen?????

maymunah May 3, 2009, 2:03 PM

wow!!!!!! this is crazy because where is the mother of the eight year girl when her father was selling his daughter?? thats what i wanna know. i am a muslim and a proud one and i dont see anywhere in quran thats says its okay for eight year old should be married off its says we should wait UNTIL we reach puperty, these people are greedy and are not followig the islamic law or (sharia)

mimi May 3, 2009, 2:53 PM

Waw! is it actually real! How can a father be so selfish. I mean, i was 18 when i introduced my bf to my parents and my dad had a heart attact simply because he could not imagine his little girl with a man! Now u have some bastard selling his 8 year for money and the law allowed that! God Bless America. i am so gratefull for being an American!

tori May 3, 2009, 3:40 PM

This is so gross.why?why let a 50year old,i would say he a pedifile there is no reason for this

unamed May 4, 2009, 3:38 PM

why would he marry and 8yr old? when she has a kid it will be just like having to little kids to take care of…

Anonymous May 4, 2009, 5:10 PM

Just want to say USA allows marriage for young girls in the south as young as 13.
This girls story is SICK! I cannot forgive a money hungry father to allow his 7 yr old daughter to marry a Gross 50 yr old. And your all rite WHAT DID HAPPEN TO THE 2 MEN?? They got off scott-free. No crime in selling your own kid for marriage against her will. It apparently happens more often as the article states, Women are ‘supposed’ to ‘concent’ tot he ‘agreement’ She did NOT- could you blame that poorlittle girl?
EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I dont care where thet are from what the religion, thats just GROSS!!!
My god, shes a CHILD and hes a discusting gross PERVERTED FOOL!

annonomus

Anonymous May 4, 2009, 5:14 PM

To RugbyMom,
U R 100% RITE!
I almost threw up in my mouth, Trying to legalize this behavior is a crime all its own!
Anyone who behaves like these men and Preys on a innocent child is SICK and should be stoned to death!
I hope that poor girl grows up normal and isnt ruined for life by these horrible men.
annonomus

Anonymous May 4, 2009, 5:20 PM

By the way—- I am NOT defending the south for allowing 13 yr old girls to get married i think thats gross too!
Noone should get married before 21 in my book and even then if you think your happy and in love better check again…
Its not the 50s anymore.
Want another job get one want a better house get one want a nicer car get one need a diffrent hey welcome to the USA were so free were killing ourselves!!!
HOWEVER,
We are NOT marrying 8 yr old kids!! so stick that in your pipe and smoke it!!!
A.