Do You Have a Secret Bank Account?

Danielle Hoston: Late last week, a woman filed a lawsuit against Chase Manhattan Bank for contacting her husband regarding a bank account that she had kept secret from him ... a bank account that contained approximately $800,000 obtained prior to their marriage. For obvious reasons, marital strife ensued and "in an effort to save her marriage," the wife gave her husband $155,000. Now she wants Chase to pay.

Shoe box filled with money

Without a doubt, the bank has violated her privacy by revealing the contents of her bank account to a third party, regardless of the fact that it was her husband. On one hand, the business-minded side of me can find justification for keeping assets such as these private under the right set of circumstances. On the other hand, the romantic side of me (yes it does exist!) imagines that I would be furious if I found out that my spouse was keeping an $800K secret.

"The man who has no secrets from his wife either has no secrets or no wife." -- Gilbert Wells

Don't get me wrong ... I'm a firm believer in community property ... as long as community property refers to assets obtained during the marriage. I also believe that prenuptial agreements should firmly protect all assets (and the fruits they reap) obtained prior to the marriage.

Many marriages operate successfully with separate bank accounts that allow for individual, unmonitored spending while other marriages are built on full and complete disclosure when it comes to finances. But haven't we all heard the horror stories of divorce? Tales of emptied bank accounts, transferred or missing assets, and frozen credit cards are enough to motivate the most die-hard romantic to tuck away some measure of "mad money." And how do we handle our lovable yet financially irresponsible spouses? Gambling addicts? Perpetual shoppers? In-laws and other family members who always seem to have a hand out that our spouse can't help but oblige? We hope that we are able to agree with our spouse on how the money should or shouldn't be spent in these circumstances, but if we can't ... Is there something wrong with saving a little more on the side in the event of a rainy day?

Do you have a secret bank account? Does it help or hurt your marriage?

next: Whatever Happened to Sunday Dinner
Anonymous October 6, 2009, 5:04 PM

Generally, I feel that keeping a bank account secret is a bad idea. Secrets rarely stay secret. Keeping a personal bank account’s balance private is another thing. I think that the difference between keeping something private or secret is important to understand.

mehh October 6, 2009, 5:08 PM

So why was she even married to him? If you can’t trust someone knowing you have a certain amount of money, then why are you marrying them? This goes for stupid pre-nups. If you feel you need one, WHY ARE YOU GETTING MARRIED? Stupid immature twats in relationships. Wasting air and time.

Trish September 15, 2010, 12:40 PM

I am with Gail. My husband has a mental illness and we have three children. For the sake of them, I am starting a ‘secret’ bank account. Poop occurs.

helosesi January 23, 2011, 10:21 PM

There acquire been several improbable stories of survival against all tbe ratio and implausible valour. But there are galore stories of monolithic inefficiency in the organisation of aid. And Haiti is now out of the intelligence in benignity of additional stories yet the state is in fearful condition of operation and assets
mitral valve stenosis

3 peaks challenge March 6, 2011, 4:09 PM

A really good set of info which I will be certainly coming back to read again. Thanks very much to all those who contribute.

Katlyn Houseal March 17, 2011, 6:31 AM

I’d have to bury the hatchet with you here. Which is not something I typically do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

Christopher Cropp March 26, 2011, 10:36 PM

This is {my first visit to your site|the first time I have visited here|one of my favorite blogs|sites|websites. I found a lot of great|fascinating|interesting|amazing information|articles|posts|stuff in here. From the well written comments|tons of comments|active readership on your posts|articles, I can see|guess I’m|I am not alone here|the only one! Keep up the great|good job|work|Thanks for the good|great job|work.

do follow list of blogs March 29, 2011, 12:29 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

high pr backlink list March 29, 2011, 2:03 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Sid Beagley March 29, 2011, 7:12 PM

You made some nice points there. I did a search on the topic and found most persons will go along with with your website.

Karl A. Katz March 31, 2011, 4:08 AM

Exciting

Eugene A. Pate April 5, 2011, 7:04 AM

Hello, - discovered your current website due to pure luck while drifting round the internet this morning, and delighted that i did! I like the design and colorings, but I really should mention that I’m having issues when it loads. I’m making use of ELinks 0.11 internet browser for mac, and the menu block won’t lineup properly. i’m fairly certain I’ve applied a matching layout on a company’s web site, but the menu seems Ok on mine. I have an idea the problem is at this end and I guess it is time to switch!

act sat conversion information April 9, 2011, 4:42 PM

I always was concerned in this topic and still am, appreciate it for posting .

Leigh A. Harper April 9, 2011, 11:05 PM