Single Mom Sells Body on eBay

BillieJean Irizarry, a single mother of three, needs money fast ... so she decided to sell ad space on her body on eBay!

BillieJean Irizarry

momlogic: How did you come up with the idea to sell ad space on your body on eBay?
BillieJean: My sister and I were talking about ways to come up with money that didn't require a vehicle or daycare, because I don't have access to either. She listed a few odd jobs like babysitting, but I have 3 kids and don't need to watch anymore. She mentioned she saw a girl who did this a few years ago on eBay. I figured I would try it. It sounded fun and interesting.

momlogic: So once you came up with the idea, what did you advertise that you'd do?
BillieJean: I was going to allow the winning bidder to advertise their website, business logo, product, or anything they would like (within reason) on a reasonable spot on my body. I would do it on my stomach, back, neck, calf, and possibly forehead. I would not allow anything nude, no profanity, and nothing racist.

momlogic: What drove you to sell ad space on your body?
BillieJean: I am a single mother with 3 children. I am currently living with my parents, who are on disability. My parents are unable to watch my children because of their health issues, so I cannot work right now -- the money I would make wouldn't be enough to afford daycare for 3 children. I figured this would be a non-traditional way to make money to help raise my kids.

momlogic: The auction ended this afternoon.... Did anyone win?
BillieJean: I set the reserve for $2,000 but the bidding only went up to about $250.00. This was my third attempt to sell the ad space on my body. I am not sure if I am going to do it again. This idea isn't selling, so I am thinking of doing something else to make money. I am not sure what it is at this moment, but stay tuned to my eBay page.

Would you sell ad space on your body on eBay?

next: "Reno 911" Star's Jedi Training Snub
Kristen May 20, 2009, 7:28 AM

I feel sad for this women and her children. She is truly in a catch 22, can’t work because of no daycare and can’t work because she couldn’t afford daycare anyhow. I hope things work out for her. Maybe she could try taking classes at the local college.

Angie May 20, 2009, 11:40 AM

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. There are finance companies who would gladly loan her money so she could buy a cheap used car and then she could find a job and use the rest of her loan to start her kids in a daycare. She could then pay the loan off and afford other things with the money she makes at her job. She could always advance her career later. There are a lot of things she could do, like taking online courses. They’ll work with most people on the money situation.

Laura May 20, 2009, 11:55 AM

Lazy!! Everyone wants to be successful and comfortable, but not have to put forth any effort at all. Apply for jobs at a daycare center - you can take your kids to work with you! Research some of the nonprofits out there whose purpose is to empower and help women. Get some better job training so you CAN get a job to support your family. Where’s the baby daddy here? He should be putting forth money to support his babies, too.

cougarwife May 20, 2009, 1:22 PM

Angie & Laura, Have you ever looked into online courses? They are VERY expensive. Daycare is not always the best either, my daughter was in daycare and we were at the doctor every other week, she was always on some sort of medication, and they even had her on breathing treatments. She has been home with me for over a year and has not been sick once! I am so sick of people judging others based on their own situation.

kitty May 20, 2009, 2:37 PM

If she was hot, she’d probably get the bids.
No offense, but why would you spend fat cash to advertise on a broken billboard? Makes you look cheap.
This girl has her eyes on the prize, but doesn’t really understand that she should market herself in a more attractive way to snag potential buyers.

Jodi May 20, 2009, 6:56 PM

Angie- Who is going to give a loan to a woman with no job? And if they do at what price? 28% interest? How does that help her?

Angie& Laura- I am a SAHM with a similar situation, only (and thankfully) I have a hubby who’s job is able to make ends meet. I am having such a hard time finding a job that I looked into online courses. ITT Tech costs $40,000 for a 2 year degree. Yes, only TWO years. My husband took 5 years getting his BA in biology and racked up less than $30,000 in loans. It’s expensive not to mention if she was only doing online courses how would she feed and clothing and provide shelter for her family? More loans? Do the math. You’re talking what almost A HUNDRED THOUSAND by the time she got done with her measly 2 year degree. Life’s tough right now, cut her some slack.

Laura May 20, 2009, 7:27 PM

> am so sick of people judging others based on their own situation.

Well, you’ll be pleased to know that I’m judging her based on her making an idiotic ploy to get some quick cash, and then talking about it on the internet, expecting sympathy. Really nothing to do with me at all. Actually, I’ve been a single mom with no job skills. I’ve DONE all the stuff I suggested. Believing you deserve a better life is the first step - assuming the world owes you something isn’t going to get you anywhere!

anony  May 21, 2009, 12:27 AM

no judgement here I say do what you need to do… but she should check out womenforhire.com ……… it’s a great site that has lots of resources that may help and people that will call you back. Also I suggest that people without a lot of experience apply at banks… you can start out in entry level positions such as tellers and customer service over the phone and usually move up from within the company.

Otmffrqo June 23, 2009, 2:42 AM

CCxGTY comment6 ,

IP Camera September 10, 2010, 7:23 PM

Astounding article bro. This kind of is just a exceedingly nicely structured posting, just the tips I was hunting for. Thanks

泳鏡 November 25, 2010, 4:00 AM

This is genuinely a wonderful info. An document similar to this shows precisely how greatly the concept is actually appreciated by creator.