Is Slavery Why Black Women Aren't Breastfeeding?

In the first of a series, Kimberly Seals Allers explores this phenomenon in search of answers.

woman breastfeeding the mocha manual motherhood in color

Kimberly Seals Allers: When it comes to breastfeeding, black mothers have somehow lost their way. For over 30 years, African-American women have had the lowest breastfeeding rates, and though the numbers have greatly increased in recent years, black moms still have the lowest rates of all ethnicities. And when it comes to the gold standard of infant nutrition -- six months of exclusive breastfeeding -- among African-Americans, the rate is only 20% compared to 40% among whites. At a time when black infant mortality rates continue to climb to woefully high levels, momlogic and MochaManual.com take a deeper look at why more black mothers aren't breastfeeding, and urge moms to give their infants the healthiest start.

Slave Owners Purchased Us As Wet Nurses

To get to the bottom of this breastfeeding business, it's important to go back. Waaay back. A long time ago, black women were notorious for nursing. In fact, slave owners used and purchased black women as wet nurses for their own children, often forcing these mothers to stop nursing their own infants to care for others. "On the one hand, wet nursing claimed the benefits of breastfeeding for the offspring of white masters while denying or limiting those health advantages to slave infants. On the other hand, wet nursing required slave mothers to transfer to white offspring the nurturing and affection they should have been able to allocate to their own children," writes historian Wilma A. Dunaway, in the book The African-American Family in Slavery and Emancipation, published by Cambridge University Press. And since breastfeeding reduces fertility, slave owners forced black women to stop breastfeeding early so that they could continue breeding, often to the health detriment of their infants, Dunaway writes.

wet nursing and slavery

Breastfeeding is for Poor People

But there's more to our story than breastfeeding interrupted at the hands of slave owners hundreds of years ago -- though many may argue that some vestiges of slavery still exist in the mindset of the black community. Aggressive marketing by the formula companies in the 1930s and 40s made formula-feeding the choice of the elite -- "the substance for sophisticates" -- white or black. And who doesn't want to be like the rich and famous? That marketing continues to this day, down to the formula company-sponsored bag of goodies you probably received on the way out of the hospital. Then there's something I call the National Geographic factor -- that is, most of the images we see of black women breastfeeding are semi-naked women in Africa whose lives seem so far away from the African-American lifestyle and experience.

"'Breastfeeding is for poor people,' my mom once said to me," explains Nicole, a 37-year-old mom from New Jersey, who breastfed two children for a year. "My mom is a very progressive woman, but this was the thinking of her generation. I couldn't believe it."

Breastfeeding Hurts and Takes Too Long

As children of that generation, many modern mothers don't have that breastfeeding legacy or support from their mothers, mothers-in-law, or extended family members. And due to the oversexualization of the breasts, some women have forgotten or are even uncomfortable with using the breast for its actual intended purpose. Go figure! Others worry that their man will complain (please tell him baby comes first). Myths such as "breastfeeding hurts" (truth: only if the baby is not latched properly) or "breastfeeding is too time-consuming" (truth: whipping out a breast is a lot quicker than sterilizing bottles, mixing, measuring, or heating up formula) still linger among black mothers.

Throw in the economic pressures that put many black women back at work soon after delivery, and there's a "why bother" mentality that makes breastfeeding seem more like a challenge and a chore. The results speak for themselves. According to national data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, about 45% of African-American women breastfed their babies during the early postpartum period, compared to 66% of Hispanic mothers and 68% of white mothers who breastfed during that same period. Of African-American women who do choose to breastfeed, the duration is short, with many discontinuing in the first days after birth, their data shows.

"Before I nursed my son and daughter, none of the women in my family had ever breastfed before," says Kathi Barber, founder of the African-American Breastfeeding Alliance and author of The Black Woman's Guide to Breastfeeding. "But I decided change would start with me when I learned breastfeeding has health benefits for mothers and babies alike."

We Owe It To Ourselves and Our Babies

And while modern white mothers have reclaimed breastfeeding as hip and trendy, with help from outspoken and high-profile celebrity moms like Angelina Jolie, black celebrity mothers are still mostly mum on the topic. As a new generation of confident, empowered black mothers, we owe it to ourselves and our babies to give them breast milk -- the very best. According to the CDC, black babies are twice as likely as white infants to die before their first birthday. A 2001 study in Pediatrics concluded that an increase in African-American breastfeeding rates alone could reduce this disparity. To do so, every black mother needs to become our own celebrity spokesperson (hey, we're beautiful with full lips!) to speak out and speak up to encourage and support breastfeeding in our own sister circles. It begins with you.

What do you think? Discuss in our Community.

next: Mel Gibson's Girlfriend Definitely Pregnant
free dating December 23, 2010, 9:16 PM

Just discovered this site thru Bing, what a way to brighten up my month!

ingrasare December 27, 2010, 5:33 AM

I was beeing trying to find the google for this info and just wanted to say thanks to you for the post. BTW, just off topic, where can i find a version of this theme? – Thanks

down pillow reviews December 28, 2010, 11:15 PM

I have got 1 idea for your website. It seems like at this time there are a number of cascading stylesheet issues while opening a number of webpages in google chrome and safari. It is functioning fine in internet explorer. Perhaps you can double check that.

Sojourner Marable Grimmett December 30, 2010, 5:05 PM

DADS TO DO LIST TO HELP WITH BREASTFEEDING:

1. Adjust the positioning of the pillow
2. Provide water and food
3. Adjust the lighting in the room
4. Burp the baby
5. Change the baby if needed after feeding
6. Swaddle the baby after feeding and changing
7. Clean / cook
8. Massage
9. Take a shift
10. Encourage with love

Marissa Smith December 31, 2010, 3:11 PM

Thanks for the great post! I will be sure to subscribe to your updates from now on.

LSAT Prep Courses January 1, 2011, 9:06 AM

Hi I am having a trouble visiting your blog, I am receiving 505 pages pretty frequently, I’m not very certain why but when I refresh the page it returns right.

de slabit January 3, 2011, 9:14 PM

I was beeing scouring the WWW for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a copy of this theme? – Regards

Anonymous  January 4, 2011, 5:07 PM

To those who say “oh dont look down on the women that ‘choose’ to bottlefeed” What hock!!
Unless there’s a medical reason for to not nurse you shouldnt chose anything other than nursing. Having to go back to work is no excuse. Many of us nursing moms do it. If you don’t have enough time to devote at least the first 6 weeks to your newborn you shouldn’t be having kids. It’s a tiny baby, not some self sufficient tadpole!
I get so tired of hearing “I didnt have enough… My doctor put my baby on formula… I had to go back to work…” oh boo freaking hoo. If you start off making excuses for not trying your best then why are you bothering to have kids? Doctors don’t know jack anymore about breastfeeding. And it’s about time we put formula back to what it was meant for: sick moms. NICU babies. Dead moms. If you’re not in that category it is YOU who deserves the hackling those of us got when we chose the right thing. It is YOU who deserves to looks because you are bottle-feeding your 1yo in the subway. It is you who deserves the doctors recommending you should have breastfed your asthmatic child. I got the hackling because I did what the AAP suggested: minimum of 1year, recommended 2yr. I worked, went to school and nursed both kids for 24 months each. Your “choice” means you didn’t try hard enough. Period

Tony Wayne January 4, 2011, 7:41 PM

I actually knew about most of this, but having said that, I still thought it was useful. Nice job!

Sam January 7, 2011, 3:20 AM

Your joking, right?

HostNine January 11, 2011, 11:03 AM

Please, keep up the awesome work and continue to post topics like this. I am really fan of your site!

Hostel Bridge January 13, 2011, 5:56 PM

Nice post, thank you! Could you tell me about the second paragraph in more detail?

blonde hair colors pictures January 15, 2011, 12:30 AM

Eccentricity is not, as dull people would have us believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd.

Potenzmittel rezeptfrei January 15, 2011, 2:15 AM

Great Stuff, do you have a twitter profile?

tie front shrug January 15, 2011, 2:40 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Chicken Pox January 16, 2011, 12:04 PM

I found your website on another site. It helped me do my research on this topic. Its amazing to think one site could contain so muck information. Don’t stop writing articles, because I would become lost!

tuition agency singapore January 28, 2011, 1:22 AM

Just discovered this site through Yahoo, what a pleasant shock!

injury lawyer personal houston January 28, 2011, 2:30 AM

This site has lots of really helpful information on it! Cheers for sharing it with me.

Ally January 30, 2011, 9:21 AM

A lot of women are still victims to the “don’t do anything that white people do” theory. As a 24 year old new mom, my ex mother in law accused me of trying to be white for breastfeeding. She refused to touch any of the bottles that I had pumped into, calling them “nasty.” She accused me of being white for nursing, for participating in Mommy and Me, for having playdates, for reading to my child. It was so shameful to see how pervasive this was and still is in our community.

Torty February 1, 2011, 6:38 PM

I’m pretty sure this article is the best.