Prom night is almost here! Will your kid be attending as a teen tart? Here are some of the barely-there dresses that are being marketed to our daughters.
Don't worry: momlogic's got your back with fashion-friendly yet appropriate prom dresses that will keep Mom, daughter and wallet happy. Plus, here are six tips from psychologist Dr.Lisa Boesky on how to deal with those fashion fights.
1. If your daughter is under 16, do not purchase clothing you do not approve of. She won't be happy, but she'll get over it.
2. If she is over 16, negotiate on how sexy to dress. She may want a micro mini skirt and you want ankle length -- compromise with right above the knee. Allow her one sexy item versus an entire outfit.
3. Be aware of your own clothing choices--your daughter is paying close attention. If you dress much younger than your age, don't be surprised if your teen dresses more provocatively than hers.
4. Ask your daughter how she feels when she dresses sexy. Why does she display so much skin? Really listen...even if you don't like what you hear.
5. Ask your daugher to explain how her sexy outfit corresponds to her actual behavior. Does it send the message that she is available sexually? Is she even aware this is what boys assume?6. Have her father -- or another man she trusts/respects -- talk with her about how boys view girls who dress overtly sexy (slutty, bimbo, airhead, material, etc) He should emphasize the 'sexiness' of subtlety and leaving something to the imagination. Want more advice from Dr. Lisa? Check out her book!