twitter facebook stumble upon rss

Toddler Dies After Swallowing Button Battery

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

Now her mom wants to warn other parents about this hidden danger.

toddler dies from swallowing battery

This story just breaks our hearts. Last week, 2-year-old Elaina Redding bled to death three weeks after swallowing a button-sized battery.

Her parents told CBS they believe she got the battery from a handheld Yahtzee game. Elaina swallowed the battery on May 2 and started clutching her chest, saying it hurt, her parents said. She had endoscopic surgery to remove the battery, and she was released on May 6.

On May 20, she began coughing up blood. She hemorrhaged to death about 2 AM on May 21. Elaina's esophagus and aorta eroded, causing the esophageal hemorrhage.

Elaina's mother, Donna Ryan, has a warning for all parents. "Put the batteries under lock and key," she says. "The nurse at the hospital said batteries are like bullets and you need to keep them locked up like that."

Pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson says ingested batteries can be extremely dangerous for three different reasons:

• The battery itself can block the airway or the intestinal tract
• Batteries contain alkali, which can corrode tissues
• The voltage generated by the battery can cause a burn.

The National Capital Poison Center said more than 3,000 people of all ages in the United States each year unintentionally swallow miniature disc or "button" batteries. Ten percent of kids who swallow button batteries die, according to the poison center. That's because batteries lodged in the esophagus can cause severe burns in just two hours. Within six hours, the battery can eat through the esophagus or the organ it is lodged against, and within eight to 10 hours, it can cause death.

Symptoms in children include refusing to take fluids, an increase in salivation, vomiting, and abdominal tenderness. But in one study, nine of 25 patients had no symptoms at all. That's why officials say do not wait for symptoms to develop before getting an X-ray. If the battery remains in the esophagus, it must be removed immediately.

Experts warn not to give your child ipecac if he or she has swallowed a battery.

This story reminds us that common household items -- like batteries -- can pose very real risks. Remember to keep batteries out of the reach of young children. If you have an older child, remind him never to put a battery in his mouth under any circumstances.

Our thoughts are with Elaina's family in this tragic time.



next: Tennessee Man Fathered at Least 20 Kids
38 comments so far | Post a comment now
Hot Hair Colors For 2011 December 10, 2010, 11:30 PM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Wedding Dresses Bridal Gowns December 15, 2010, 2:19 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 6:49 AM

I have been searching the WWW for such information and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, how can i download a version of this theme? – Thanks

prices 2011 vw golf January 22, 2011, 2:10 AM

The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.

bay window treatments January 22, 2011, 4:36 PM

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I unquestionably liked every bit of it. I have your website bookmarked to find out fresh material you post.

Todd Woodlin January 27, 2011, 1:27 AM

Nice info. Nice piece of info, great share.

shades of red hair color chart January 31, 2011, 9:23 AM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

code of navajo torrent March 15, 2011, 10:33 PM

I am always browsing online for tips that can assist me. Thank you! %WEBSITE%

Chance Chaisson March 17, 2011, 6:44 AM

jumbo tally you’ve possess

cheap replica football jerseys March 28, 2011, 5:57 AM

Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.

Carmella March 28, 2011, 9:13 AM

my heart goes out to this mother I know how it feels to have your child swollow a button battery my Grandson who I am raising swollowed one, we thank God all the time that he told us that he swollowed it,he got very sick right away,he went to childrens 2 days after and they removed it , the battery was already starting to break down.I am doing a big paper and poster for colloge to warn others about the dangers of button batteries.

dofollow article directories March 29, 2011, 2:32 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Toni A. Daniel March 31, 2011, 4:44 AM

Intriguing

Ann N. Underwood April 5, 2011, 7:04 AM

Hello there, - discovered your current website by chance whilst roaming across the internet this afternoon, and pleased that I did! I like the structure and different shades, but I should point out that I’m having issues when it loads. I’m making use of Shiira 2 internet browser for mac, and the menu bit won’t lineup correctly. i’m convinced made use of precisely the same design on a customer’s internet site, but the menu seems all straight on mine. I think the fault is with my outdated browser and just maybe today’s the day to swap!

Candance Zabriskie April 7, 2011, 3:16 AM

Great website.

slippa akne April 9, 2011, 12:15 PM

I dugg some of you post as I cerebrated they were very useful very helpful

Courtney U. Kumar April 9, 2011, 5:21 PM

Beneficial

louis vuitton Handbags May 9, 2011, 2:52 AM

Dude, you should be a writer. Your article is really interesting. You should do it for a living


Back to top >>
advertisement