Trendy Mom

Jennifer Ginsberg: The other day I greeted my husband in my perfectly constructed outfit which reflected that latest trend, Boyfriend Jeans. For those of you living under a rock or from the Midwest (don't worry, this trend will roll your way in a few years), the look is as follows: super-baggy, distressed jeans, rolled up, tight top, sexy shoes.

Woman wearing baggy jeans

"Honey" my husband said, treading lightly, "What the hell are you wearing?"

I immediately got defensive. "What do you mean?"

"I don't get it," he said. "The shirt: great. The shoes: great. Those jeans -- awful. Why the hell are you wearing jeans that are five sizes too big for you?"

"It's the look," I explained, as if he were an imbecile. "They are boyfriend jeans. They are very in right now."

"Why would you wear something that is so unflattering to your butt?" he earnestly asked.

"Are you saying my ass looks fat?" I was becoming hysterical.

"Fat?" he laughed, "it is nonexistent. You have no ass in those jeans. It looks like you are wearing my jeans!"

"That's the point!" I retorted triumphantly. "They are called boyfriend jeans."

"Well, they are ugly!" he concluded.

"You just don't get it!" I muttered, struggling for composure, a difficult thing to achieve as your jeans are hovering below your ass crack.

I have to concede that most trends are worn for the benefit of other women, not men. As I breezed into Starbucks later to get my Venti Iced Green Tea (no water no sweetener), I couldn't help but notice the approving glances of a group of thirty-something, ultra-chic, L.A. women. Who cares if my ass is nonexistent? I have mastered the trend!

Take the cultural obsession with looking ultra-thin. Over and over, in every study, men overwhelmingly report that they prefer women with curves and flesh on their bones. Yet thinness is a way of garnering respect, envy, and praise from other women, which seems to be the goal.

I recently went shopping with my dear friend Heather. She tried on a deliciously comfy gray cashmere sweater-coat. As she modeled it for me, enveloped in layers of buttery softness, I told her, "I love it. The look is very in right now. But it is one of those things that men just don't get. I know what Adam would say: 'Why the hell did you spend $600 for a glorified bathrobe?'"

One of the reasons I love Heather is that she is oblivious to most trends, and dresses to feel sexy and beautiful, regardless of what Katie Holmes is wearing on the cover of Us Weekly.

"He is right," she said, and put it back in the dressing room. She picked out a pair of super flattering jeans instead. And her ass looked amazing.

next: Manny Ramirez Suspended after Testing Positive
Maeby May 7, 2009, 2:48 PM

do you guys seriously talk like that?
“they are” instead of “they’re”?
“you are” instead of “you’re”??

Jill May 7, 2009, 3:46 PM

I live in the Midwest and have heard about boyfriend jeans. We’re not oblivious like you think.

Renee May 7, 2009, 4:28 PM

I live under a rock (according to the rest of the country anyway…) and I have heard of boyfriend jeans. And I hate them. Your husband was right.

ness May 7, 2009, 4:51 PM

UGLY please, midwest is always light years behind on fashion. roll them up? really?

kate May 7, 2009, 5:01 PM

Maybe we Midwesterners have enough self-worth to not bow to ridiculous trends. I’ve not seen anyone wearing humongous jeans, nor do I expect to anytime soon. It’s almost summer after all, Chicago’s other season, and we don’t wear jeans this time of year! :D

Kathy May 7, 2009, 5:17 PM

I must live under a rock because I’ve never heard of this before. LOL Maybe you need teens to hear about it!?

Kelly May 7, 2009, 5:51 PM

I have to say that the boyfriend jeans look is one of the UGLIEST trends I have seen in a long time.

I also have to add that I am a thirtysomething and live right outside of NYC.

Sarah May 7, 2009, 6:34 PM

Yes, people do talk like that. Some people even capitalize the beginnings of their sentences. Why is everyone so angry over the fact that she bought baggy jeans? Grow up. The story was funny. I have lived all over the US and trends do reach certain areas much later than others. And yes people do wear those trends when they arrive, regardless of how ridiculous they look. Everyone makes fashion mistakes at some point in their lives. If you need proof, dig out your prom pictures.

Lucky May 7, 2009, 7:48 PM

boyfriend jeans? GAG

Maggie May 7, 2009, 8:16 PM

Sounds like your husband was right - and yet you ignored his wisdom. Just because something is a “trend” doesn’t make it flattering. People who follow a trend just to be “in” when that trend is a horrible one, typically have no self esteem or confidence. Sexy comes from within - not from the clothes you wear. Someone who feels sexy will look good in anything they put on - that’s why your friend looked so good in her jeans- because she feels good about herself. I get the point in the article - but it sounds like the author is reaching out when she should be reaching within. Skip the trend, work on yourself, and listen to your husband’s advice. If he finds you sexy - and didn’t like the jeans - perhaps there’s a good reason for it. And PUT DOWN that magazine!

Alexcia May 7, 2009, 10:34 PM

She tried way too hard to make the article interesting. Couldn’t get past the first paragraph. Everyone’s comments were more interesting..

CJ May 7, 2009, 10:42 PM

As a comedic effort, this is a good piece…however - boy jeans? give me a break. and this comment “do you guys seriously talk like that? “they are” instead of “they’re”? “you are” instead of “you’re”?” is right on. Really, who talks like that? If it’s conversational writing it needs some work.

Heather B May 8, 2009, 1:13 AM

I agree. All women dress for other women! I totally agree with the writer and I have fallen into a few not so flattering fashion flubs trying to be trendy and young! I think this is hysterical and I find the people that are living under rocks or from the midwest to be a little too sensitive! That is not the point of the article!

Kelly May 8, 2009, 8:05 PM

The Emperor’s New Clothes

Tabitha May 9, 2009, 5:15 PM

Anyone who says they have never chosen the wrong piece of clothing just once is lying. FYI, mom jeans are the wrong piece of clothing.

messymom May 10, 2009, 9:19 PM

you know i had no clue about this style- and i’m your LA friend karen!

Anonymous May 13, 2009, 7:57 PM

I just have to say that Maggie’s comment sounded like she cut and pasted it from a women’s magazine - “sexy comes from within”.. “work on yourself first”.. blah blah blah. Well, sometimes no matter how much you’ve ‘worked on yourself’ you just don’t feel sexy, and you have to resort to putting on silly, trendy clothes. What’s the big deal? I think this is a hilarious piece. And by the way, if you read the article to the end, she does imply that her husband was right after all. So everyone can get off their self-righteous soapboxes now….

Katharine May 13, 2009, 8:00 PM

akumaxkami August 30, 2009, 3:13 AM

Admittedly, this was pretty funny, boyfriend jeans look horrible on everyone. Yes, even Katie Holmes.

But if you find them comfortable then go ahead and wear them, trend or not.

That comment about the Midwest stung a bit though - with the invention of the world wide web, everyone’s getting the same news at the same pace.