Whatever Happened to Sunday Dinner

Chef Nikki Shaw: Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm constantly in search of great food, fun and adventure! I remember growing up and having wonderful family dinners at my Aunts house on Sundays. Our meal would be equivalent to a casual Thanksgiving feast, complete with assorted desserts. Everyone brought their specialty and those that didn't cook brought drinks, ice cream or paper products.

family having dinner

I promised myself to bring back this family tradition, starting on Mother's Day. We all get busy with our own lives, but it's important to keep our families close. The kids will be driving before you know it!

"NIK TIP": Sharing a good meal is the perfect way to reconnect with family. Pick one Sunday each month & have everyone bring a dish. A nice Potluck is a great way to keep it stress-free for the host.

In this bitter economy, I'll show you how to make life sweet right at home.

Perfect Peach Cobbler Recipe

next: Madonna's Adoption Case Appeal Adjourned
Susan May 10, 2009, 7:49 PM

Great article!

Allie May 12, 2009, 9:04 PM

When I read this article it just took me back to my childhood. It is crazy how things remind you of how things use to be. i want to thank you for this great idea. Mother’s day was not only great, but it was our first of many “Sunday Dinners”. Please keep inspiring me.

Allie

Lisa Morgan May 15, 2009, 7:58 AM

This article reminds me of going to church on Sundays with my grandparents and then coming home for a big Sunday dinner. I think it is important for families to sit down for dinner and bond. Food is a great bonding event. I want to bring this tradition back in my family, escpecially now having a daughter and both grandmothers still around…thanks

Lynn Houston May 15, 2009, 2:22 PM

Wow, I remember Sunday Dinners and our house, or my Grandmother or my Mom’s Sister’s house - the food was not always great, but it was fun to be with family and friends.

Ridgeley May 18, 2009, 10:19 AM

I sooooooooo remember Sunday dinners! Growing up, I always felt a sense of love and comfort during these dinners - and had the chance to eat some good ole’ home cooking!! At my house we would eat and jam to the latest tunes all at the same time… Earth Wind & Fire, Marvin Gaye, Phoebe Snow and even some Bob Marley - it was great and I miss it.

Thanks for your special message and the tip NIKKI - I LOVE UUU and allll of your ideas - YOU ROCK.

I can’t wait to see what is in store for you and for all of us who love your great ideas!!! Yummy.

Sonya May 18, 2009, 12:17 PM

Great article - it moves one forward by remembering the warmth of the past.

Dolores S. May 18, 2009, 9:59 PM

I love this family potluck idea….so simple, so inexpensive, and so necessary to keep in touch with extended family. Also, I loved your great peach cobbler recipe!

Phyllis M. Wherry-Carey May 29, 2009, 11:20 AM

Great memories come to mind…… I’m going to initiate family dinners, they were always very comforting and relaxing. And had the b e s t foods….

Susi June 1, 2009, 8:31 PM

This recipe sounds great. I’ll have to try this out for our next family dinner.

Zawnuvab June 24, 2009, 8:05 AM