Jon and Kate + Celebrity = No Happy Ending

Candy Spelling: I know more about Jon and Kate than anyone but their closest friends and family should know.

jon and kate and candy spelling

The same with Susan Boyle. I really know way too much about her private life.

I also know a lot about celebrity and its effects. And, Jon and Kate and Susan Boyle, real-life people who became not only celebrities but temporary media superstars, are currently the most visible examples of celebrity on steroids.

Jon and Kate were ordinary people doing what they thought was ordinary, and then they were "discovered" and packaged as "Jon and Kate Plus 8." The wrapping was impressive, but not enough attention was being paid to the "content" -- who were actually real people.

Jon and Kate went from being adorable and loved (by a relatively small audience) to sensational magazine covers and big ratings when they started to act up.

A rare talent emerged from Susan Boyle's unlikely physical package, and life would never be the same. Susan was set up to melt down. And how could things not go wrong? We're not trained for celebrity.

Fortunately, my family's celebrity evolved over a period of time, as my husband became more successful and his shows became major pop culture influences. We were not "reality" figures. We had private real lives, and our professional lives were of interest. We could retreat and take a time-out from time to time.

Upcoming movie, TV, and music stars aren't trained for fame, either, but they have "handlers" around them to help with the transition. They become "brands," and people can make a lot of money working with them over long periods of time.

Jon and Kate and Susan were also assigned handlers, but their handlers were not looking out primarily for them. They were people who worked for the networks, sponsors, producers, and record companies and the entities that would profit from their instant and fleeting celebrity. And, the handlers know these celebs are "temps," not those who would later star in a string of action movies or set records for sold-out arena concerts, making millions of dollars for everyone around them.

The Gosselins and Susan are what the industry calls "civilians." And civilians aren't equipped to deal with fame. Will Susan Boyle ever be intimate with a man? Will the Gosselins survive divorce?

More important is what will happen to the Gosselins' children, the "Plus 8." My heart is with them, and my hope is that they can live in relative privacy, leaving their temp jobs as celebrities behind them.

next: Death Toll 7 in D.C. Metro Crash
abbi June 23, 2009, 8:04 AM

CANDY SPELLING?! Oh my yes, you’re reeeeally the one to talk!!
*rolls eyes*

latina mama June 23, 2009, 9:20 AM

candy spellin???? are you f-kidding me???

is official momlogic is not about parenting is another gosip magazine.

how she can been givin any kind of advice? proud grandma of kids that she dont know????

“yes candy, we all are here, waiting for your blogs, because in fact, we make us better moms.”

Jill June 23, 2009, 9:59 AM

Its ironic that Candy Spelling is discussing privacy, when two posts down is a video about her daughter.

PEGGY June 23, 2009, 10:57 AM

WHY DOES MEDIA ALWAYS EQUATE JON AND KATE WITH SUSAN BOYLE
SUSAN’S STORY IS NOT A SAD STORY
SHE IS A SINGER WHO WAS UNEMPLOYED. WHO HAS NOW SIGNED A MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CONTRACT .. SHE IS GETTING TO DO WHAT SHE ALWAYS WANTED—SING
SHE IS A SINGER, NOT Wlk onto screre reality like JON AND KATE
THERE IS GOT TO BE LIMIT TO YOUR GLOOM AND DOOM TALE. dont equate susan boyle with failure.

jess June 23, 2009, 11:49 AM

I can’t imagine what it’s like being watched all the time. I’ll pass.
Ordinary and happy are fine.

Kristin - MotherProof.com June 23, 2009, 12:04 PM

As sad as it is that they’re becoming another statistic, I actually think Jon and Kate’s separation and divorce playing out on TV can help so many people going through it right now. Just to see the similarities and know they’re not alone can provide a sense of relief.

Lisa June 23, 2009, 1:38 PM

Putting aside the ridiculous fact that this article was written by Candy Spelling, who recently announced on national radio that her daughter, Tori Spelling, CAUSED HER HUSBAND’S DEATH when she stopped talking to the family … (!!! what kind of mother does that?!?!!?)

Last night’s show was eye opening in that it just really showed how selfish and immature Jon is. How can you think of getting a divorce with six 5 -year olds and two 8 year-olds??

Jon even said last night “Well, who knows what the schedule will be, this is all so fresh — I MEAN, I COULD GET OFFERED A JOB.” What?!? So he is moving to NYC and he might get offered a job — but he is going to continue to be in his childrens’ lives in Reading, PA?? Puhleaze.

Also, the fact that he felt it necessary to point out top viewers that he was “only 32” —well, by golly, he’s got his whole life ahead of him!! Except, wait a sec Jon … that’s usually the kind of sentiment you hear from a single college grad who is embarking upon a new adventure. NOT a father of 8 who is an adult with adult responsibilities (whether he likes it or not). Jon wants to have fun. He wants to party. He wants to act like a teenager or kid in their early 20’s — diamond stud earrings and motorcyle and all! He may love his kids, but his actions will harm them.

littlepeapie June 23, 2009, 1:55 PM

Lisa, you hit the nail on the head…and his comment last night ” I mean, I have to take care of myself first…..and my kids…obviously they are my priority”….Really? That’s why he is out drinking and smoking and hanging out wiht 23 year old girls…b/c that’s good for his kids? What a d-bag.

Beth June 23, 2009, 2:19 PM

Oh, I’m so glad you said that Lisa. I just got more and more queasy as I watched last night. I can’t figure out who would sympathize with him after all of his self-pity and so forth.

Yeah, Kate can be a handful, but, frankly, she’s functioning as a single parent to eight anyway, of course she’s going to be frazzled and difficult. I’m frazzled and difficult and I only have two. This is going to turn into the Kate and Kids show and that’s okay with me.

Charlotte June 23, 2009, 2:47 PM

They’re terrible people, but being in the media spotlight doesn’t help. No one can function being watched, and Jon and Kate always tried to be “on” to show what they thought the audience wanted to see.

Susan Boyle was just left out there to fend for herself.

Rose June 23, 2009, 3:34 PM

I am sorry for those 8 sweet, innocent children who are about to be put on one heck of a roller-coaster ride. Their parents are not thinking of these 8 children, they are thinking of themselves & their fun, which they think they are missing…how tired they are of each other, how tired they are of just playing house all the time for the public to view…they are in the public’s eyes 24-7; Media coverage everywhere they go…This is rough on a family to maintain day in & day out,in it’s right. Reality shows have hit an all time high popularity with people. People rather watch other peoples lives falling apart then living their own. Spending quality time with their families & friends visiting, eating out or just enjoying good conversation.. Sad…Very sad indeed…for the children who need good roll models & the love from their mommy & daddy. Kate can’t be expected to raise & care for those 8 children alone…that would be an undertaking in it’s self… they have to think about these 8 babies.. besides their failing marriage. And, mom logic what were you thinking..I agree with another commenter…Candy Spelling to write advise when she can’t even get her life with her daughter resolved. I am sorry…but children do come 1st & how can you compare Susan Boyles with the reality couple family, Jon & Kate…it’s like comparing apples & oranges…water & oil..there is no comparison… This was a blah…blah..article written by her…

Anonymous June 23, 2009, 3:35 PM

I think Candy is funny and in her own right an American Icon.
Jennifer Christensen

Jennifer June 23, 2009, 3:40 PM

I am saying again Candy Spelling is an an American Icon. I feel she has seen many public marriages, she would be a perfect “Ask Person” on momlogic.
Jennifer Christensen

RachelAZ June 23, 2009, 5:58 PM

I can’t believe momlogic would have Candy Spelling write a story for them…she obviously doesn’t have any MOTHER logic at all!

Hank's Mom June 23, 2009, 9:07 PM

In reviewing these comments, I am amazed at how easily people pass judgment on Mrs. Spelling and/or the subjects of these TV programs without walking a mile in their shoes. If you haven’t experienced “celebrity” or don’t truly understand how the invisible hands of the entertainment industry and entertainment media work, bite your tongues - That would set a better example for Jon & Kate’s Eight and kids everywhere.

Anonymous June 24, 2009, 1:11 AM

Candy Spelling is no celebrity; she was just married to one.

abbi June 24, 2009, 10:34 AM

I agree with Anonymous. Really Candy, what in the world is your ‘celebrity’ all about?
I’m pretty sure the only thing famous about you is your late husband and your daughter.
Unless you count your frigid-bitchness to your grandkids, I guess you’re sort of infamous for that.

But celebrity? No, No, No.
You’re a hanger-on Old Woman.

linjaynes@earthlink.net June 24, 2009, 6:57 PM

In theory you have some valid point’s about Jon & Kate basically being a commodity that will be used up & soon discarded. However you suggest they now become private? to late, the marriage is apparently over, & she has 8 kid’s to financially support,unlike you, who said your family had year’s to achieve your fame, Some private or otherwise, as well as the fortune,Kate must look out for her children & that requires the TV/ fame she currently has. She would be very foolish to let it go now.