Beware! Child Predators Are Targeting Moms

Before the Internet, child predators had to "groom" their victims in person -- often taking weeks or months to gain the trust of their prey.

Beware! Child Predators are Targeting Moms

The Internet allowed pedophiles a whole new way to access children -- by pretending to be other kids, they can specifically target children in order to lure them into dangerous situations.

And now, if that wasn't bad enough, child predators have found a new, and more disturbing, way to get close to your children -- through you.

Momlogic contributor and Internet Safety Specialist Lori Getz made us aware of one of the scariest new trends among child predators -- infiltrating parenting websites and befriending parents in order to get to their kids:

Let me give you an example. You are a new parent again, you already have a 4-year-old, and now you have a beautiful new baby who just won't sleep. You don't remember having this same issue with the older one (we all know how amnesia sets in), and you are desperate for sleep. It's 3 AM and you are searching for answers on the Internet.

You come across a parenting networking site where you can ask questions of experts and get advice from other parents dealing with similar issues. A young dad logs in and sees your desperate post about sleep training. He knows the perfect person to help you. He even sends you a message through the system with the sleep trainer's name and phone number and his personal e-mail address in case you need more support. You are grateful for the advice, log off, and wait for morning to call the sleep trainer for help.

To be polite, you send the dad a thank-you note, and after a few e-mail exchanges, you realize you two have a lot in common. Your kids are the same age; you live near one another and even play at the same park. So you set up a playdate. However, when your new friend arrives, he tells you the kids got sick but he wanted to come by and say hello in person. You are excited to introduce your new friend to the other parents at the park and subsequently your children and all of your friends' kids too.

STOP! You may have just let a predator into your life, and because you trust this person, so will your children.

Predators are lurking in parenting networking sites, teachers' forums, and anywhere else they believe they can cultivate relationships with adults that may lead them to children.

When a teacher brings in an expert on volcanoes to demonstrate the power of ammonium dichromate, the students believe this is someone they can trust. "If Mr. Johnson trusts him, I can too." But where did Mr. Johnson meet this expert? Is he really there for the benefit of education, or does he have an ulterior motive?

We, as adults, need to be careful who we let into our lives and the lives of our children. Once a child trusts a predator, it is easy for the predator to manipulate that child. Using the friendship and trust the predator has established with the adult can actually be used against the child. "Your teacher will be impressed if you come with me to finish an extra credit project." Or "Your mommy sent me to pick you up. Remember me? She introduced us at the park."

According to Getz, it is important that we keep this in mind the next time we log onto any site where we can communicate with strangers. Follow these tips to ensure everyone's safety:

1. Create a screen name that does not give away personal information. Your online name should consist of random letters and numbers and not your real name or the names of your kids. Do not give anyone an opportunity to use your personal information in your screen name to strike up a conversation.

2. Use a pseudo-identity. Use a fake name every time you set up an online account for any networking site, forum, blog, or wiki.

3. Never give an online stranger the opportunity to meet you or your children face-to-face. Like I say to the kids, it's better to hurt someone's feelings than put you or your family in harm's way.

4. Report suspicious behavior. Just use common sense here. If you see something on a forum that looks suspicious or makes you uncomfortable, contact the webmaster immediately!

Parenting networks, teacher forums, and help columns are great ways to get information -- just don't use them to make new friends!

next: Throw a $10 "Twilight" Party!
SMOORGOVORB December 24, 2010, 3:23 AM

www.JulianaFurs.com are in style. Everything fromSable Coats to Chinchilla Coats. Fur Recycling is big. Antique garments are remodeled into new styles. The average age a garment that isre cut into current style is 5 years.

diete rapide December 27, 2010, 6:18 AM

I was been searching the Internet for such information and i wanted to thank you for the post. Also, just off topic, how can i download a copy of this theme? – 10x

Oswaldo Tisdale December 28, 2010, 6:47 PM

Wow! Thank you! I constantly needed to write on my blog something like that. Can I implement a part of your post to my blog?

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 1:35 PM

I have been looking the Internet for such information and just wanted to say thanks to u for this post. BTW, just off topic, where can i download a version of this theme? – Regards

Shu South January 11, 2011, 7:28 AM

Just like the saying goes, while in the pro’s head there aren’t many choices, however for a person with a newbie’s brain, the entire world is wide open.

cosmelan białystok  January 14, 2011, 3:19 AM

OH MY GOD… That’s all I got to say …

short 2011 haircuts for women January 22, 2011, 12:26 AM

Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.

hairstyles for round faces January 22, 2011, 12:47 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Torty February 2, 2011, 1:17 AM

Something I have never seen before is always welcome, thanks!

Tom Toulson February 6, 2011, 7:45 AM

I am continually browsing online for posts that can assist me. Thx!

stomatolog Koneck February 8, 2011, 8:54 AM

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this .

wymiana szyb samochodowych warszawa February 8, 2011, 9:09 AM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just too magnificent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.

ortodonta Oborniki February 9, 2011, 8:18 AM

Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, very nice article.

meble nowoczesne February 9, 2011, 9:06 AM

It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

naprawa turbosprężarki February 9, 2011, 11:07 AM

Hey very cool web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your web site and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find a lot of useful information here in the post, we need develop more strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing… …

Cheap Conveyancing  February 15, 2011, 2:28 PM

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thanks again

bumble and bumble red hair shampoo February 17, 2011, 10:05 AM

orkiestry weselne February 19, 2011, 2:11 AM

I’ve red about this somen time ago, but thanks ;)

erotyka February 24, 2011, 2:10 AM

THE BEST ARTICLE AT THE WORLD!

zarabianie w internecie February 24, 2011, 3:07 AM

I know one thing: you are a great.