Denise Richards: Everyone Is Judgmental!

Denise Richards spoke with momlogic about spying on her kids and why having her girls on her reality show makes life easier.

denise-richards.jpg
Denise Richards' reality show might be called "It's Complicated," but her attitude about protecting her children isn't.

"As a parent now, it's harder to keep tabs on our children, but I will be vigilant," she tells momlogic. It's a parenting style she picked up from her dad. "When we were teenagers, he used to tap our phone," she says. "He worked for the phone company, so he had all the equipment." Although her dad always seemed to be one step ahead of what she and her sister were up to, the actress and ex-wife of actor Charlie Sheen says "We weren't doing drugs -- I wasn't even sexually active."

Richards has no plans to keep such sneaky tabs on her daughters -- Sam, 5, and Lola, 4 -- anytime soon. "They pretty much think boys are yucky," she explains.

Her girls' aversion to boys is typical, but their lives certainly are not. Currently, they'll be appearing on the second season of their mom's E! show. With so much attention now being focused on the possible abuse of child labor laws by TLC's "Jon & Kate Plus Eight," Richards deals with her share of criticism for allowing her girls to appear on TV. "Everyone is so judgmental when it comes to raising kids: if you breastfeed or not, feed them only organic foods.... The bottom line is, I'm not exploiting my children," she says.

Richards points out that her daughters get very little screen time. "They're on for about a minute here and there," she explains. "The show isn't about them." If anything, she says, there's a huge plus to being on a reality show: "I get to incorporate them into the show -- which means I can take them to school as part of my job. How many single working moms can say that?"

Would you let your children play a role in a reality show?

next: Mom at 18, Grandma at 35
dhonesty June 10, 2009, 7:18 AM

Anyone who has ever watched her show knows she is not exploiting her kids. She is absolutely correct in that they are typically on for barely one minute and it is usually just her saying good night or the show wrapping up with her playing with them.
I started watching her show fully prepared to dislike her but all it has done is make me see her as just another mom struggling to do her best and make me want to route for her.
Go Denise!

kitty June 10, 2009, 1:56 PM

Speaking of being judgemental, her face is so old and busted.
I think someone told her that “thick eyebrows make you look younger” or some tripe like that, and now look at those fuzzy hedge shelves above her eyes!

ew.

Sara June 10, 2009, 3:02 PM

Kitty- Are you kidding me??? She looks GREAT!!! Her eyebrows look just fine. Give me a break!

Sally June 10, 2009, 3:25 PM

What a terrible mother. She really gets me sick.

Slim June 10, 2009, 3:25 PM

she is BEAUTIFUL!! love her show!

Lisa June 10, 2009, 3:59 PM

So I’m on my lunch hour at work and spending some time on the momlogic website and couldn’t help but notice at least 3 negative remarks for different articles from “kitty”, so I have to ask… kitty, do you ever have anything nice to say, or do you just have cramps today.

Steve June 11, 2009, 11:34 AM

Please stop writing about this washed up never-was,gold digging b***h and let her fade away to where she belongs.She has been treated like a star when she has no credible acting on her resume.Being married to Charlie Sheen didn’t help her career so she left him & is now vainly trying to keep herself in the public eye.Her appearance on “Dancing with the Stars” proved that you need more than a big smile and large breasts to succeed,you also need TALENT,something she is sorely lacking.

Anonymous June 11, 2009, 12:01 PM

She’s as much a celebrity as Heidi and Spencer. Who cares?

dotDotDot June 13, 2009, 1:48 AM

I reluctantly watched the show one day when there was nothing else on to watch and I was sick in bed… I truly didn’t think I would like it but I have to admit that I’m now a fan of the show :O)

GPC June 16, 2009, 2:09 AM

Why does anybody even care about celebrities? Do you have no lives of your own?

lilikindsli October 4, 2009, 5:40 PM

2OCOaq I want to say - thank you for this!