Ear-Piercing Parties ... for 6-Year-Olds

This new trend is disturbing to one mom.

young girl smiling

Meanest Mom Jana Matthews: A few days ago, my six-year-old daughter received an invitation in the mail to a friend's birthday party. The party is being held at a children's hair salon in town. After being educated in the art of prepubescent hairstyling, each of the party guests will be treated to a beauty treatment of her choice: a manicure, a pedicure, a classy "up-do," or a free ear piercing. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a box labeled "tattoo," because I would have checked it.

Question # 1: Who throws an ear-piercing party for six-year-olds?!!

"Mani, pedi, or hairdo?" I asked my daughter, pencil in hand.

"I want my ears pierced!" she cried. The panic rose in her throat as she realized that my omission of her desired choice was not by accident.

I reminded my daughter of our agreement: she could get her ears pierced when she was eight. This proved to be small consolation to a six-year-old with a penchant for glittery hoops.

A few days later, I was telling this story to my friend when she broke me off mid-sentence. "You're not seriously thinking about letting your daughter get her ears pierced anytime soon, are you?" she asked.

That's when I heard about nasty infections, imbedded studs, earrings that rip through ear lobes, and a host of other problems endemic to pint-sized pierced ears. To be honest, I had never thought about the "proper age" to get one's ears pierced, but the more friends I spoke with, the more I realized that a lot of people have very strong opinions about when it's okay -- and when it's not -- to pierce your daughter's ears.

So what's your take?

Question # 2: When did you let or when do you plan to let your daughter pierce her ears and why?

A six-year-old with a fondness for hoops (and her mother) want to know!

next: Teens Get Cash to Not Get Pregnant
alan August 12, 2010, 6:32 PM

it’s perfect ,the quality of the shoes are quite good ,I feel very satisfied,and i will introduce my friends to purchase the shoes on this website!

Mark Mascola November 28, 2010, 10:52 PM

Hey mate! I thought I might write a comment and assure you that your webpages theme is really smudged on my iPhone 4. Appears to work okay in Opera though. Anyway keep up the fabulous work!

Charles December 22, 2010, 1:53 AM

Many girls in my family were pierced since pre-toddler with no complications. Tell your adamantly opposed friends to chill.

Kasey Ropers February 10, 2011, 9:50 PM

I simply want to mention I am just beginner to blogging and site-building and absolutely enjoyed your page. Most likely I’m going to bookmark your website . You amazingly come with impressive article content. Bless you for sharing your website page.

Genaro Gruben March 17, 2011, 6:50 AM

I’d be inclined to grant with you on this. Which is not something I typically do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Alva Buco March 29, 2011, 6:08 PM

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This information provided by you is very effective for accurate planning.

Eileen O. Wooten March 31, 2011, 4:38 AM

Very helpful

Maragret Schaller April 6, 2011, 11:50 AM

vanessa whitwell

passat recall

passat recall

herbal treatment for hemorrhoids

kami April 14, 2011, 9:15 PM

I moved to ajapan 18 years ago and each year I return on a visit I am shocked how sexualized our young girls have become. I see american parents weak and wanting too badly to fit in or not to be left out. Japanese children do not get piercings until they are 17 or older. The parents put emphasis on their intellectual growth and not on their bodies. Americans need to elevated woman on a higher level than just being a professional and sexual identity. Look around at the high rate of pregnancies, abortions, sexual diseases and the dissappearance of a stable family.

www.momlogic.com May 30, 2011, 11:10 AM

Ear_piercing_parties_for_6 year olds.. Awful :)

www.momlogic.com June 3, 2011, 7:30 AM

Ear_piercing_parties_for_6 year olds.. He-he-he :)

www.momlogic.com June 5, 2011, 7:45 AM

Ear_piercing_parties_for_6 year olds.. Dandy :)