Facebook Do's and Don'ts

Here's all you need to know, courtesy of momlogic contributor and Internet Safety Specialist Lori Getz.

woman using the computer

There's no doubt that manners are important. But who knew that there would be a whole new set of etiquette for online interactions? Well, there are. In part two of our Cyber Safety series, find out the do's and don'ts of Facebook.

Do: Check your privacy settings!
Within Facebook, there are 3 "Settings" tabs: Account, Privacy, and Applications. These settings allow you to control everything from how your page looks to who can see what you post. Within the Privacy setting alone, there are 4 sub-categories, each with several options. It is important that you read through all of them and make appropriate decisions about who can see what!

Do not: Use friending to alienate or become "famo."

A friend request is a precious thing. Do you remember walking up to a new friend on the kindergarten playground and asking him or her to be your friend? Well, welcome to the 21st century version. You don't want to use this power to alienate others, but at the same time, you only want to let people in that you know in the physical world. "Famo" refers to becoming Internet Famous. Kids love to "collect friends," whether they know them or not. The more friends you have, the more famo you are. People you meet online that you don't know face-to-face are strangers. It's just not safe to let them into your inner circle!

Do not: Use the Honesty Box to slander or defame others.
The honesty box in Facebook is an application on your profile page where people can drop anonymous comments. When teens use this feature, it is usually to harass one another. That's just plain old cyber-bullying!

Do: Control who sees your News Feeds.

On the top menu bar of Facebook, you have 4 main options: Home, Profile, Friends, and Inbox. On the Home page, you see the News Feeds. These are status updates of what your friends are doing and thinking (much like Twitter). Make sure you know who can see these updates -- you will find this control in the Privacy setting. You wouldn't want to accidentally tell the world you are leaving town for the weekend and that your house will be empty.

Do not: Fall for Phishing scams.

Phishing is the act of attempting to trick users into divulging sensitive and personal information by directing them to a fake website that collects things like usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, etc. Facebook has encountered several phishing scams where you will receive a link in your inbox directing you to a new page that looks like Facebook but requires you to log in again. DON'T DO IT! At the log-in page, the hacker is now waiting for you to type in your username and password so they can collect it. Hackers usually do this to steal your identity and break into other accounts where the username and password may be the same (such as your online banking account). If you are redirected to a page where you are asked to re-enter your username and password or any personal information, scrutinize it carefully. If you are unsure and don't need to access the page, just close the window and forget about it.

Do: Read the Terms of Service.
Have you ever noticed in Facebook that it appears the ads seem to be just for you? That's because Facebook scans your posting and accesses your personal information in order to learn what you like and don't like. That way they can attach appropriate advertisers to your page. It's a great way to direct-market. Make sure you read Facebook's Terms of Service and understand their role in the content you post.

Do not: Poke incessantly -- it's annoying!
I think this one is pretty straightforward. Poking is a way to let someone know you are trying to get his or her attention. But there is no message attached, just the fact that you received a poke. Can you imagine if someone sat next to you and poked you all day ... it would drive me crazy!

Do: Understand the difference between private messages and the Wall.

The second option at the top of your Facebook page is Profile. This is your public Wall. Think of it like a billboard on Sunset Blvd. Everyone can see everything posted to your Wall, including passersby. If you want to send a friend a private note on Facebook, then send them a message rather than posting to their Wall. The Wall is not the right place to make plans or talk about personal things.

Do not: Use Facebook to send SPAM or chain letters.
Not only are SPAM and chain letters annoying, they are usually sent to gather your personal information. A chain letter is created by one person and then sent to others. But every time you forward a chain letter, there is code in the e-mail that sends all of the e-mail addresses back to the creator of the chain letter. So don't give up your personal information or that of your friends by forwarding the e-mail. I promise you will not have bad luck for 7 years!

next: Bodies From Air France Crash Flown to Mainland
Vernon Auguste March 13, 2011, 4:47 PM

not too long and simple to grasp

Dating Tips for Women March 13, 2011, 5:09 PM

My close friend referred this valuable link to me. This really is specifically what I have been hunting for.

Steve Venturino March 13, 2011, 7:05 PM

I am glad i was ready to find your submit I actually admire the knowledge Would you thoughts very if I position a one way link from my internet website ?

Marg Dyll March 13, 2011, 9:09 PM

I want to mention thanks for this

Catina Wachowiak March 13, 2011, 11:45 PM

Wow, this was a true quality post. In theory I’d prefer to write like this too – taking time and real effort to form a good article… however what can I say… I keep putting it off and never appear to get one thing done

Parker Ejide March 14, 2011, 3:04 AM

I was been scouring the websites for this information and that I wished to many thanks for this post.

chivaring March 14, 2011, 2:05 PM

Salute! Inspiring art! Bye Bye!

Karisa Hanrahan March 14, 2011, 4:47 PM

Nice to be here! I’ll share this with all of my friends!!. and then, Continue the good work; and then, Many thanks for your good posts this particular data quite usefull!!. plus, Everyone ought to take the time to put up articles nearly as good as this one and never saturate the web with nothing!!!.

zwrot podatku holandia March 15, 2011, 3:25 AM

Howdy! Nice article! just one site See You!

Ryan Sobran March 15, 2011, 6:39 AM

Just enjoy commenting for the sake of it. It makes whoever posted the piece remember that someone cares. and we do

Zula Willette March 15, 2011, 9:09 AM

I liked reading your weblog, thanks for posting this sort of great content.

scrapebox forum March 15, 2011, 12:41 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here. People must be using SCRAPEBOXLIST.COM

Cell Phone Number Look up March 15, 2011, 10:22 PM

I have got 1 recommendation for your weblog. It appears like there are a number of cascading stylesheet issues while opening a number of web pages within google chrome as well as firefox. It is working alright in internet explorer. Possibly you can double check that.

מעוניינים לרכוש מתנה לילדים? אתר האינטרנט allgifts הוא הכתובת שלכם, עם עשרות מתנות מקוריות, שלא תמצאו בשום אתר אחר.

CieAura March 16, 2011, 4:19 AM

We found you alternate web page plus thought I might check things out. I like what I notice therefore now I am following you. Looking toward looking at ones web site yet again… Mmm whats the latest on Middle East remarkable news flash.

meet a malaysian man March 16, 2011, 1:43 PM

Fantastic website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics talked about here? I’d really love to be a part of community where I can get feedback from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you!

Palma Cruson March 16, 2011, 8:20 PM

excessive log you’ve pick up

monster domains March 16, 2011, 10:06 PM

I agree with what you’re saying to a certain extent, but there’s always going to be someone who doesn’t agree with what you’re saying.

little girls dresses March 16, 2011, 11:31 PM

Have you considered adding some relevant links to the article? I think it might enhance my understanding.

Visually Explosive Minisite Designs March 17, 2011, 3:51 PM

I do consider all of the ideas you’ve introduced to your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. May just you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.