Kate Gosselin Spanks Leah

What do you think: Is spanking ever okay?

kate gosselin spanking daughter leah

New photos from In Touch have leaked that show Kate Gosselin spanking a distraught Leah. In the first photo, Gosselin is raising her hand at her daughter, and in the second, her daughter is in tears.

According to In Touch, Leah had been asked to stop blowing a whistle and was not listening. "The girl was screaming and crying. Kate just pushed her away and walked off with her coffee," a witness told In Touch. "Her older sisters were trying to make Leah feel better."

But Kate is defending herself.

"Whether the paparazzi are there or not, I am a mother first," Gosselin told Life & Style Weekly. "I love my children and when they misbehave, I discipline them as I deem appropriate for the situation."

In this month's Elle magazine, cover girl and supermom Gwen Stefani firmly states she will NEVER reach the breaking point with her kids and resort to spanking.

What do you think of Kate's spanking incident? Do you spank your kids? Comment below.

On a lighter note, it seems that everyone -- celebrities included -- wants Kate Gosselin's hair. We're happy to oblige!

next: Brazilian Prosecutor Wants to Ban Fast-Food Toys
leelee June 17, 2009, 1:48 PM

I have had to spank my boys on occasion. A swat on the bottom, through their pants, is enough in most instances. Spanking is used very rarely and in only certain instances. It’s not the usual form of discipline and should never be. Also should not be done in anger and the child should be spoken to about it when they have calmed down, so they understand why they were given the spanking and how they can adjust behaviour to avoid further spankings.

Renee June 17, 2009, 2:34 PM

There is a difference btw a spanking and a beating I was spanked as a child as many of were back in the day and we turned out ok. I have spanked my own kids when they were totally out of line. That is the problem with kids today parents are not allowed to be parents. Each child is different where some may need to be spanked and some may need a talking to. Don’t judge until you are in that situation.

Sara June 17, 2009, 2:38 PM

I would never spank my child. I’ve sure gotten frustrated and upset but there are better ways to deal with behavior. I was spanked as a child and it did nothing to help me not want to repeat the behavior, it just made me petrified of my dad.

Reading that the witness said that Kate just pushed her away and walked off with her coffee makes me sick. I used to love that show and family, but now I just feel sorry for the kids who are stuck in this mess but yet the parents STILL KEEP THE SHOW GOING! The family clearly needs to work on their home life, not a TV show!

trickytrip June 17, 2009, 2:48 PM

There is nothing wrong with spanking a child. This form of discipline was said to be in appropriate by the baby boomer generation. I call that generations off spring “the outlet protector generation), because they relied on outlet protecors rather then a slap on the hand. Therefore creating a generation of undisciplined whiners, who think the world owes them, and have no respect for others. Spare the rod, spoil the child. Open handed isn’t abuse, close handed is.

kris June 17, 2009, 2:49 PM

You are totally right Renee. I spank when the situation calls for it which is rare. Any other time a stop or please respect others is sufficient to get the misbehavior under control or stopped. What really gets to me are the moms and dads that attack you for YOUR method of discipline. And to them their way of thinking, dscipline is correct, and you are wrong and abusive to your child. Some people can get down right fanatical or nasty about it. Please people let the parent dsicipline their child how they see fit.

Jill June 17, 2009, 2:51 PM

What does this article have to do with Elle Magazine and Gwen Stefani? That’s pretty random… how much did Elle Magazine pay for that little bit of juicy advertising in an obivous hot article?

chris June 17, 2009, 2:52 PM

I also have swatted my child behind a couple of times when he was younger. I certainly didn’t do it as the first form of discipline. I love it though when someone says “I would NEVER do something” because never is a long time and just because they haven’t had a reason to do something yet doesn’t mean a situation may not call for it. I had a friend who used to say that and one day we were outside talking and her 2 1/2 year old ran in the street and just missed getting hit by a car and she freaked out and her first reaction was to grap the child and yell at her for running out in the street and then she swatted at her butt. I know she reaction out of fear but she did something that she said she would never do.

Anonymous June 17, 2009, 2:55 PM

a spank is quick and easy and sometimes less cruel than a time out. My kids get spanks only when they are openly defiant to me and it settles quickly who is boss. Most of the time spanks don’t even hurt physically they are humbling and a surprise. I don’t do it because i want to hurt the kid or because it makes me feel better, I do it because I want them to know they are children and I am the adult. I would not spank past age 6 or seven, however, because they should be reasonable by then and accept other types of corrections that are more cerebral. I think people who say they will never spank end up either breaking that promise or using some other kind of physical response, or retraint. Three year olds, to around five, are just not that reasonable and dragging them to a chair or some kind of isolation, or stuffing them into a carseat is more cruel if you ask me then a quick spank on the behind.

trickytrip June 17, 2009, 3:03 PM

The “spanking pics” were taken by the p-people on the day Kate called the police to come because there were so many of them around, and they were starting to be intrusive on her property. If you look at the photos posted from that day, you see Kate carrying Leah. Distortion of the facts is very common in gossip mags. Only believe about 10% of what they publish, that would be, they have the people’s names correct.

JESSICA June 17, 2009, 3:07 PM

SHE HAS LESS PATIENTS WITH THEM NOW THAT THEY ARE OLDER THAN WHEN THEY WERE BABIES. I THINK ALL THIS MARRIAGE PROBLEMS IS MAKING HER LOSE IT AND TAKING IT OUT THE KIDS. SHE IS LETTING THE SHOW GET TO HER LIKE IF SHE IS A COOL MOM. SORRY KATE TRY BEING NICE FOR A CHANGE. YOU ARE ENOYING SOMETIMES. WELL PRACTICALLY ALL THE TIME.DONT SPANK YOUR KIDS. THEY LOOK LIKE WELL EDUCATED CHILDREN THAT WILL LISTEN IF YOU JUST TALK NOT YELL.(LIKE YOU USUALLY DO)

Suzee June 17, 2009, 3:12 PM

I think in rare, last resort instances a swat can curb an out of line child. Kate was angry her daughter blew a whistle again after she been told not to while Kate was on the phone (too much!). The prudent thing to have done was to take the whistle away from the child, reprimand her, but not spank her for that. Kate seemed out of control and should know better with paps following her to do this.
I hope her show fades away fast.

LOL@GwenStefani June 17, 2009, 3:15 PM

Yeah Gwen will NEVER spank her kids. Her nanny will. People do not need to judge. As the previos poster wrote, spankings and beatings are not the same. When myu oldest was toddling around, he reached up to grab a hot pan and I quickly popped his hand to avoid a serious burn. Parenting in the “outlet cover generation” (that’s freakin RICH! Love it!), is hard.

Lauren June 17, 2009, 3:17 PM

There is not a THING wrong with a mother spanking her child, be it in public or behind closed doors. It’s a shame this is even a question now a days. It’s why there are so many kicking, screaming, fighting, back-talking brats out there I want to bend over my own knee.

nicole June 17, 2009, 3:19 PM

Way to go Kate!!! A spanking is not abuse. And if she just walked away that would make sense too, sometimes as a mother you get overly frustrated and have to walk away and give yourself a little timeout. Why are we all so judgmental? That’s absolutely terrific if your child responds to other forms of discipline, but there’s a lot of children that don’t. Lets all agree to disagree and worry about ourselves!

Nydia June 17, 2009, 3:22 PM

I have and will continue to spank my child … although I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve had to do it in his 4yrs so far …

Kudos to Kate for disciplining her child … kids get out of control and I can’t stand those mothers that let them run rampant …

Gwen will and probably HAS reached a breaking point assuming she’s actually raising them and not a team of nannies …

ame i. June 17, 2009, 3:24 PM

My 2 have only received a smack on the behind a time or two when they were younger.. I have never and would never strike them repeatedly.
My daughters are 9 and 11. The 11 year old is as tall as me (5’7”) and the 9 year old isn’t far behind. I don’t think a smack on the butt after saying “Stop hitting your sister!” would work very well. Sitting in a chair for 10 minutes with nothing to do but look at a wall works better.

Leeza June 17, 2009, 3:40 PM

If Kate chose the better choice, it would have been to have taken the whistle away after her daughter wouldn’t stop blowing it.Spanking should be the last resort when there are no other options.For a parent, it’s always best to “act” instead of “react”.If Kate had taken away the whistle up front,she would have spared herself resorting to spanking,Leah hysterically crying (making her siblings feel so helpless and sad), and now Kate has to see pictures of herself spanking her little girl on all the magazine covers of tabloids for the next month.I don’t know what’s more humiliating- Leah being spanked in front of so many people must have made Leah feel so humiliated and embarrassed. Or Kate feeling humiliated and embarrassed once she sees herself spanking her daughter on the cover of every magazine and the negative headlines that will go with those pictures about Kate losing it in public! How sad for Leah,not Kate.

Blair June 17, 2009, 3:46 PM

Where is Jon in all of this? He should be there helping with his children. No wonder Kate is so stressed!

julie June 17, 2009, 3:48 PM

Umm hello somtimes kids have to be spanked, so be quiet all u no spanking parents thats why ur kids are non listening brats ..Yes theres a difference between spanking and beating or abuse ..

Anonymous June 17, 2009, 3:53 PM

If Kate had taken away the whistle, as some seem to think she should have, it would have taken away Leah’s option to choose. Leah chose not to listen to her mom & she got punished. That’s life. A person is responsible for their own actions, even a 5 year old. Luckily, there are PARENTS for 5 year olds to teach them there are consequences if you break the rules. Good job, Kate.