Did I REALLY Make My Kid Say A**hole?

I swear I didn't force my kid to have a potty mouth.

Momstrosity: So far, in working for momlogic, I've made a couple of little videos starring my daughter. For the most part, she really enjoys it -- and as anyone with kids knows -- preschoolers will not do anything they don't want to do. Anyway, it's not like I made her say c**nt.

Yet, one of the comments I got on the video I posted yesterday said I "shouldn't [have] had your little girl cuss at the end, that was VERY irresponsible of you." The woman's remark, and others like it, is in reference to the end of the video, Do Preschool Boys Make Good Husbands?, when my kid declares "Men are a**holes" after her three-year-old boyfriend dumps her. Her reaction was exaggerated for comic effect. I personally love men and so does my daughter. The offending word was, of course, "bleeped."

The thing is, it was faked.

I would never have prompted my child to say the word "a**hole" for a joke. Some of my friends  thought I had made her utter a profanity and they weren't the least bit disturbed. "She'd never remember she said it, she doesn't even know what it means!" said one incredibly supportive friend. I guess -- but I would never take the chance of her parroting a dirty word back to her preschool teacher.

The word I had her say wasn't a word at all. It was the made-up "asslows." Yes it still had the word "ass" in it, but so does "assignment." So I felt pretty safe.

Are my friends right? If I had asked her to say a swear word one time, would it have really been that big a deal?

Check out the outtakes ... and the censored version of the word.

See Also:

next: Girls are Boy Crazy ... or Just Crazy
Jessica June 4, 2009, 4:23 PM

I think you need to get a life! The videos you post on here are ridiculous. I was disgusted by the video posted some months back where the same little girl was bashing Bush. The poor kid has no chance of forming her own opinions with her mother brainwashing her this way already. Most men are NOT assholes, and we get that you weren’t making her say the actual word; but it really is the same thing. Grow up, “Mom”!

Tayor June 4, 2009, 4:33 PM

i think she might say it again i am only nine years old but i know a lot about moms You are right Jessica most men are not assholes, But who is the parent here, You or Her?

Lisa  June 4, 2009, 5:54 PM

I think Lily is the cutest little girl ever (with the exception of my little girl) and I enjoy her mom’s articles and videos. You all need to lighten up!

David Spark June 4, 2009, 6:22 PM

I’m in complete agreement. I think men are asslows too.

David
- Proud to be an asslow.

Brooke June 4, 2009, 10:16 PM

Taylor, while I don’t believe that you really are nine, if you are then you have some mom problems of your own. What parent lets their nine year old roam the internet freely?

maeby June 5, 2009, 12:39 PM

my mom cursed like a sailor and i never said a single curse word until i was in my 20’s. occasionally i get road rage and let a curse word slip, my 3 year old chooses this time to listen to me and repeats the word to kingdom come. its not a big deal. i dont think hes going to end up a mean little boy who rattles it off to whomever. they’re just words people, cool off.

Mel June 5, 2009, 3:05 PM

The only thing about this is children seem to repeat things that get them attention weather they know what it means or not and I would be a little embarassed if she were to repeat those words lets say like at church and was asked were she learned to say that and she said mommy becouse lets face it weather you taught her to say the actual word or not thats what it sounds like.

Cassie June 5, 2009, 4:55 PM

I totally agree with Jessica you are not funny and its obvious you manipulate your child for your momlogic “job”. Ugghh go away- its safe to assume that most people on this site have their own kids who say the darnedest things w/o watching you script a performance for your toddler. Its simply not cute when the mom makes a child say things.

Mary June 5, 2009, 5:58 PM

Are you people serious? Uh when a child doesn’t want to do something, they don’t. I guess none of you have ever tried to coerce your kid to eat their peas or to get in their car seat. Uptight people with no senses of humor are the ones who don’t get this sort of comedy. Hey guess what? Don’t watch it! But just because you don’t like it doesn’t give you the right to make assumptions about a mother and her daughter.

Jessica June 5, 2009, 6:39 PM

I don’t think anyone made any assumptions. I don’t think there’s a three year old on this planet who gives a flying flip about politics or whether men are a-holes or not. Therefore, she WAS “coerced” into saying those things. I don’t know what satisfaction can come from making a child say ignorant things.

Mary June 6, 2009, 2:15 PM

Cassie June 6, 2009, 4:22 PM

Mary -Thanks for posting the same statement twice. I actually didn’t watch any of her videos all the way through so no need to suggest I not watch them. The point is a mother who should be somewhat smarter than a 3 year old can manipulate said child to be her mouthpiece and thats what Andrea is doing with this child. So maybe you like the humour and thats your choice tacky as it may be. Some of us feel using a child to spew political or sexist opinions is not that entertaining so therefore we comment on it and yes we have that right because its an open forum and the mother put herself and child on the internet for financial gain.

Lisa G June 10, 2009, 12:40 AM

Lighten up, ladies. These writings and clips are funny. No manipulation here, just clean fun. And besides, most men ARE asslows, like David S admitted. Maybe those of you who don’t have a sense of humor should simply not read or watch this stuff?

Karen July 13, 2009, 3:59 PM

Man, am I glad I don’t have to deal with moms like these commenters in real life. What a bunch of silly mitches.

Maria March 31, 2010, 5:27 PM

Though I don’t remember it, I apparently knew the word sh*t by the time I was 5. According to the story my mom tells in which I say it, I was way more concerned with the fact that our bus driver told us to shut up than what my grandpa thought (that someone had “used a bad word for poo”). If you don’t make a big deal of it, she won’t either.

Ben April 3, 2010, 11:50 PM

So if curse words only have negative connotations because we as a society give them that connotation if you as a parent give the same connotation to another “similar” made up word haven’t you just taught your daughter the same curse word? Sure it doesn’t sound the same as the one we use but she will likely mean it the same way since you probably explained to her that its something bad to say about someone.

Please parents be responsible and teach your children the correct way to curse. I mean you dont want them getting made fun of in school do you?

Erin April 5, 2010, 12:27 PM

My stepfather used to swear like it was going to save his life. Even my mother threw the occasional F-bomb out there. But I tell you one thing, growing up I knew when it was appropriate to swear and I knew it was not appropriate to swear at an adult. Now as far as the video goes, this video is not funny because the little girl is swearing. This video is funny because these are two very young children, acting out a situation that most adults find themselves in. There is no more manipulation involved in this than there is in sitting around a group of your friends with a video camera and saying, “You know what would be funny?” Now, I don’t have any children, but I know that this innocent video is not enough to make me want to call someone’s parenting into question. I, in fact, found it cute and entertaining and I’d be willing to bet money this little girl won’t even remember doing anything like this by the time she’s my age.

free personal loans September 9, 2010, 10:26 AM

great job here. looking for more of this stuff. keep it up.if you need anything about Student Loan Refinance hit me up. I think i can help you out.