Marijuana Mamas!

Is pot the new pilates?

Gina Kaysen Fernandes: A new wave of reefer madness is sweeping suburbia -- but it's not just teenagers who are lighting up. Middle-aged, middle-class soccer moms are smoking pot ... a lot. These women aren't stoners: they're teachers, lawyers, and, perhaps, even your neighbor who prefers puffing a joint to sipping chardonnay.

woman smoking marijuana

"Marijuana is the magic in my life that helps me unwind, stay sane, and have more energy," says Sonia, a 24-year-old mother from Los Angeles. Working full-time as a restaurant manager leaves Sonia feeling stressed out and drained at the end of the day. She smokes once or twice daily to relax. "I have a stressful job, it's something that helps me wind down so I don't take out my frustration on my husband or my child."

Sonia became a mother at the age of 22 and suffered from some depression. She turned to marijuana to help curb the baby blues. A doctor later diagnosed Sonia with anxiety and wrote her a prescription for the herbal remedy. Sonia gets her stash from a medicinal marijuana clinic and takes comfort in knowing the pot she smokes is legal and high quality.

Mary is a 37-year-old, self-employed mother in Seattle who smokes pot several times a week. "It is relaxing, fun, and once in a while I self-medicate for cramps or headaches," said Mary. She says she prefers smoking to drinking beer because it's easier on the body and has fewer calories. Mary buys her bags from a dealer, making it more risky because "there's still a real danger of being arrested," says Mary.

The website, Chikii.com, surveyed hundreds of women nationwide between the ages of 25 and 60 years old. Out of that group, 52% admitted to using marijuana at least ten times a year. 27% smoked between one and seven times a week. And 78% of those women knew someone who got high on a regular basis.

The results of recent surveys are no surprise to Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, or NORML. "These findings are indicative of women's willingness to admit to the social stigma that was so high in the 1970s and 80s," said St. Pierre.

Both women who shared their stories with momlogic say that many of their friends smoke weed. But while it seems "marijuana mamas" are everywhere, this silent majority prefers to stay in the shadows. "They think if they admit it, it makes them a bad mom," says Sonia, who believes the opposite is true. "It makes me a better mother. It clears my head and allows me to focus on my child." Mary says it's important to be a responsible smoker "by doing it mindfully, only when I have downtime."

Sonia has a 2-year-old and is a few years away from the dreaded drug talk. But she doesn't plan to hide her habit from her son. "I want to be honest, I don't want him to feel marijuana is an evil thing," said Sonia. Mary says she's very open about her drug use with her daughter, Sierra. "We talk about responsible use pretty often," says Mary. Both women say they never smoke in the house or in front of their children.

There's a lot of debate over how to talk to kids about using drugs without sounding like a hypocrite, especially if you're the one hitting the bong. Zero-tolerance proponents believe you must support abstinence only. But advocates say a more real-world approach is to discuss drug use in moderation. This method is detailed in a pamphlet called "Safety First: A Reality-Based Approach to Teens and Drugs," which is distributed by the California PTA.

This growing group of ganja smokers certainly has the attention of lawmakers. A renewed debate is heating up over legalizing (or at minimum, taxing the medicinal sales of) marijuana to cash in on this potential cash cow. According to NORML, marijuana remains the fourth largest cash crop in America, in spite of the estimated $10 billion that law enforcement spends annually to attempt to outlaw the plant. In California, marijuana is the number-one cash crop. Thirteen states have laws on the books that allow for medicinal use of marijuana. The most recent federal survey finds more than 100 million Americans have tried pot at some point, and more than 14 million used it in the past month. "I think a lot of moms are starting to loosen up," says Sonia.

Both of these moms support legalizing marijuana. "It will help our economy, help our state, and take away that stigma," said Sonia. Mary believes pot smoking should be about personal choice, not politics. "I'm an adult and I make life or death decisions every day. The drug war has killed lots of people; smoking pot hasn't killed anyone."

What do you think? Are these moms on the right track -- or are they whacked out on more than just weed?

Photos courtesy of Michael Johnson

next: Have Your Cake and Meat it Too
mitzy June 25, 2009, 12:23 PM

I thiink its fine for adults to smoke but for me the danger is setting a bad example. Pot can cause huge problems for people who smoke early in life, especially in puberrty. But if you’re over 21 and use a bong or vaporizer and only smoke a few times a week I don’t see any problem and any health consequences will be minimal.

Even safer, make pot butter and just eat it on toast!

Mel June 25, 2009, 1:00 PM

Bottom line pot is illegal so no matter how you sugar coat it its wrong. Some of you say you smoke responsibly how is it responsible to have illegal drug possession. I think its a problem that people would rather break the law for the simple fact to get high is what it comes down to. It would be more important to you to get you daily fix and but your family in a horrible position if you were ever to get caught buying or having posession of it.Not only that, how would it sound to your child that just finished the D.A.R.E. program that everything they just learned is stupid the law that prevents the use of pot is stupid and thats why mommy breaks the law so she can get high. The excuses Im reading on here as to why people smoke are just so rediculous. Then you have the people on here who try to sound so smart about it try using those excuses to a cop when you get caught and see how that works out for you. So good luck to all you sorry sad pot users mabe one day you will be able to have a medical problem so you can smoke legally oh, and then you would have to live in the right state so good luck with that.

Western Lady June 25, 2009, 1:23 PM

What the ef?
I think that it’s irresponsible to do drugs as a parent.
It’s an illegal drug and so many people who smoke think it doesn’t have any negative effects. There is a reason it’s illegal. Politics aside, what about the moral issues and consequences to being a drug addict with a child?
This is absurd that Momlogic would have an article like this.

Western Lady June 25, 2009, 1:23 PM

What the ef?
I think that it’s irresponsible to do drugs as a parent.
This is absurd that Momlogic would have an article like this.

Ash June 25, 2009, 1:32 PM

I know a lot of mothers, mainly in my own family, that smoke pot. They don’t do stupid things, like ignore their kids or abuse them. In fact, they are able to enjoy their kids probably 10 times more than if they didn’t get high. There is a problem that one mother has though, and that is DRINKING. I worry when she’s trying to drive while DRUNK…not HIGH. There are just way too many health problems related to drinking alcohol that do not compare to smoking marijuana. Well, what about cancer you might say. There’s something called a vaporizer!! It all makes me sick that a great majority out there would actually approve decriminalizing/legalizing pot…but our government will not listen!!!

j June 25, 2009, 1:49 PM

“Cannabis is NOT Physically Addicting.”
If that’s true then why can’t any potheads quit smoking?

I also love how everyone thinks it so much better than drinking. Um, there is absolutely NO difference - you do just as many stupid things and are just as impaired when you’re high as when you’re drunk.

I’d appreciate pot smokers opinion more if they were honest - admit you’re addicted, admit it impairs your judgement and admit it’s irresponsible to get high while children are in your care. End of the day - it’s illegal. By your standards its okay to break the law but where does that end?

MaryJane Cannabian June 25, 2009, 1:53 PM

To everyone who says, it’s illegal so it’s wrong, well, the truth is that Cannabis never should have been made illegal in the first place. Example? These are some of the statements from Harry J. Anslinger, director of the newly formed FBN (all those feds were out of a job after alcohol prohibition was abolished, they needed a new target, Anslinger was the Nephew of Andrew Mellon, owner of Mellon Bank & Head of the US Treasury Department & friend to Hearst, newspaper and timber Baron, friend to DuPont, textiles baron) that helped pass the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937:

“There are 100 000 “*Marijuana” smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipino’s and entertainers. Their satanic music, jazz and swing, result from Marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others.”

*Marijuana was a Mexican slang word for cheap cigarettes, farmers who grew Hemp, and Dr.’s who prescribed Cannabis were unaware that the law was outlawing the whole plant, dubbed “Marijuana” by Anslinger.

“The primarey reason to outlaw marijuana is it’s effect on the degenerate races.”

“Reefer makes darkies think there as good as white men.”

“You smoke a joint and you’re likely to kill your brother”

Well, if miilions are smoking it today - where are all these dead boys killed by their marijuana smoking brothers?

Just because a law exists, doesn’t make it right. Where would we be if slavery had not been abolished? Where would we be if Rosa Parks hadn’t taken a stand on that bus? Where would we be if Women were still considered “Non-Persons” - not even allowed to vote?

I’ll leave you with one final quote:

“You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome in the club of disaffection. If the high didn’t solve whatever it was getting you down, it could at least help you laugh at the world’s ongoing folly and see through all the hypocrisy and bull**** and cheap moralism.”

Who said it? Why, President Barack Obama. What if he had been caught smoking Cannabis or doing Cocaine? He wouldn’t be President today.

Shake off the propaganda you’ve been fed your whole life, and for more info on prohibition and the failed Drug War, visit Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. www.leap.cc

MaryJane Cannabian June 25, 2009, 2:11 PM

to “j”

It has been scientifically proven that Cannabis is not physically addictive, and is less habit-forming than Coffee.

Back in my younger days, I smoked Cannabis here and there, but when I settled down, got married and had kids I never touched it. I had no physical desire to, I never “Jones’d” for it.

After my Husband and I had kids my health was deteriorating fast, and on a Doctor’s suggestion I started using Cannabis instead of the many prescription medications that were wreaking havoc on my system.

I only use it when I need it, and can go weeks without using it at all.

You cannot compare pot with alcohol either, alcohol is much more destructive - it’s why I don’t drink! And I’ve never done anything stupid while on pot, except for maybe watch a really crappy movie.

The reason why many pot smokers end up in “Rehab” is because their only other choice was jail when caught. They are not there from addiction, but because a court forced them there. Most users are “Casual” - only a very small percent use every day.

Jim Greig June 25, 2009, 2:14 PM

The original marijuana mama has been assisting Oregon’s medical marijuana patients for over two decades. You can find out about Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse at http://www.mamas.org/index.htm

Chris June 25, 2009, 3:20 PM

I think that marijuana, just like almost everything else, is bad IF IT IS ABUSED.

It’s certainly true that many people who started out smoking marijuana moved on to heavier drugs. But can’t the same thing be said for many of those who started out with tobacco as well?

I personally know several moms who smoke a joint once in a while to relax. It hasn’t affected their mommy skills any.

Moderation and timing, those are important!

FredaMae June 25, 2009, 3:36 PM

Prohibitionists! Unite And Educate Yourselves about Cannabis, Science, Prohibition, Greed and Racism.

Science Proves you wrong. The “it’s for the kids” and “What kind of message does That send to the children” argument is Over!

The “kids” who first heard that BS are grown now with their own kids and Know the Truth.

Norine Shepansky June 25, 2009, 4:29 PM

..if you rob a bank you are hurting others. I’ve had 2 children become uninterested in school-neither one of them smokes pot. Humans become addicted to all sorts of things including drugs,sex and shopping, however the choice to go on to other drugs has nothing to do with marijuana and more to do with quality of life or more correctly the lack of it,lack of education/information and misguided upbringing.
not quite 100 years ago it was ILLEGAL for WOMEN TO VOTE!!! good thing someone took action on that.How about alcohol prohibition?..how about segregation?

mama June 25, 2009, 5:25 PM

I don’t smoke anymore, but my s.o. does, and he has an rx for medicinal marijuana, so he will get me edible marijuana sometimes (cookies, drinks, etc.), so i can unwind after a hard week. I am never “baked” around my daughter, and I would never leave the stuff laying aorund my house. I have extreme anxiety and insomnia, and sometimes it really is the one thing that can make me feel NORML!

James June 25, 2009, 5:37 PM

The real danger is that one’s children can be persuaded through DARE programs or even teenage rebelliousness to snitch on their parents or attempt to blackmail them. PROHIBITIONISM IS ANTI-FAMILY, 100%!!!! When the penalty for truthfulness is state-sponsored terrorism, kidnapping, and family dissolution, no mother will want to admit to innocent activity.

mama June 25, 2009, 5:41 PM

To MaryJane Cannabian:

You’re right, it HAS been proven coffee is more addicting then marijuana! Perfect example of that would be ME! If I don’t have coffee, or some type of caffeine by 10 a.m., I have a migraine and I am an absolute b*tch, and I definitely cannot focus on anything…. I can also stop marijuana use whenever I want, I don’t crave it everyday, I eat about 2 or 3 bites of a cookie MAYBE twice a month, so I can get some sleep and relax, and then I am fine. Thank you for making good points!

Kristyn June 25, 2009, 8:04 PM

Lovely….great way to raise your kids with morals. There ARE ways to cope with stress and aches & pains without using something capable of getting yourself arrested and being a bad role model for your children. Just deal with it like the rest of us strong people, and quit turning to crutches. Same with cigarettes & alcohol. It wouldn’t affect me one bit if they never existed or one day became illegal, I enjoy my life and my kids enough to not need those things. And I lead a stressful life, believe me. But not once does turning to drugs, booze or tobacco cross my mind, all I have to do is look at my children, remember how I want them to see me as a parent, and I can be strong. People are just too weak these days, it’s a shame. You’d think they’re still in high school. And it’s even worse when parents do it behind their kids back, and become closet smokers/drinkers, etc. So no, this is not one pothead momma, I vote for being a good role model! And feel VERY proud to be a mom that lives her life for not only her kids, but my health, I’ve got better things to use my hard earned paychecks on :)

amybug June 25, 2009, 9:12 PM

I am also a “Marijuana Mama”….age 25…I smoke nightly, about an hour after my kids fall asleep. I don’t drink mainly because of my bad gall bladder…alcohol is my trigger so drinking one drink makes me instantly puke. I like knowing that when i wake i won’t be hung over like an alcohol buzz would make me. I also suffer from grand mal seizures…my doctor wanted me to take depakote(look it up…nasty side effects and it’s an anti psycotic med!)…naturally i refused…and i honestly believe the pot is helping to control them as well as my menstrual migraines. Legalize it already!:)Remember it’s organic!:)Go Green!:)

syracusemama June 26, 2009, 12:07 AM

I feel as though it’s very relaxing and gets me through the days with my kids when I feel like there’s nothing else that will help. I’m not a drinker and hate cigarettes so I think there’s nothing wrong with it as long as you do it on your own time and not around kids!!!

get up, stand up June 26, 2009, 12:09 AM

When you go to a restaurant and drink a few glasses of wine, do people refer to you as an alcohol user? Are they perplexed, vexed and accusatory about your use of a lethal and highly addictive drug, once addicted, withdrawal from which can kill you (unlike heroin)? And when you use alcohol, do you lie to your children about it or do you blatantly consume it right in front of them? And how do you explain your drug use to your children? Do people accuse you of being a bad parent? Shouldn’t they?

What’s with society’s double standard when it comes to weed vs. alcohol. If you want to treat weed this way, get off your high horse and take a look in the mirror.

Ganja Man June 26, 2009, 12:24 AM

I love women who smoke herb.