Men Get Postpartum Depression, Too

Are you fighting with your man a lot more now that your baby is born? Is he irritable and drinking more than usual? He may be suffering from postpartum depression.

We are always told when you see your baby for the first time it's "pure joy, pure bliss" -- but the reality is, once settled into your life of tending to a newborn 24 hours a day, seven days a week, sleepless, sexless nights can get to men the same way the change can get to women.

Man covering his face and a baby crying

According to psychotherapist Dr. Will Courtenay, as many as one in four new dads can develop postpartum depression. Postpartum depression in men can happen for the following reasons:

• lack of sleep
• relationship issues
• stress
• poor social life
economic/financial issues
• feeling excluded from mom and baby.

Interestingly, nearly half of men whose partners have postpartum depression are suffering from it themselves.

Here's an even more alarming fact: according to the Center for Pediatric Research, the effects on a child when the father develops postpartum depression are actually greater than when Mom is faced with it. Children at 24 months were less likely to speak, whereas it had no link in cases of Mom and baby.

Men who are becoming dads for the very first time run a greater risk of developing postpartum depression. All the unspoken fears, feelings of sadness, worry, withdrawal from a social world, and failure can contribute to its development.

CNN reports that leaving depression untreated can have long-term effects on everybody in the family. Here are some things you can do:

1. See someone before the baby is born to work through anxieties;
2. Seek marital counseling ahead of time to talk about upcoming changes and get communication issues in order;
3. Evaluate monetary issues.

next: Mother's Fight Against Junk Food Puts a School on Edge
domain hosting March 14, 2011, 11:11 PM

I would like to use the ability of thanking you for your professional suggestions I have constantly enjoyed viewing your site. I will be looking forward to the commencement of my school research and the complete preparing would never have been complete without coming to your website. If I might be of any assistance to others, I might be happy to help by what I have learned from here.

scrapbox March 15, 2011, 6:09 AM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Buster Pfund March 15, 2011, 11:03 AM

I trust the author that we need to share the knowledge we tend to gain!

high pr backlink list March 15, 2011, 12:31 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here. People must be using SCRAPEBOXLIST.COM

campsites in cornwall March 15, 2011, 1:03 PM

Excellent items from you, man. I’ve take into accout your stuff previous to and you’re just too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the best way by which you say it. You are making it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to read much more from you. That is actually a great web site.

prepaid credit card March 15, 2011, 2:42 PM

Straight to the point and well written! Why can’t everyone else be like this?

watch glee online March 15, 2011, 10:06 PM

This is absolutely gold. I did not expect that I’d get so much out of reading your write up! You’ve just earned yourself a returning visitor :)

Adelia Scheeler March 16, 2011, 1:57 AM

Good day..! Keep up the excellent work!!!. also, A big heads up for the informative content this unique data quite usefull!. also, Every person should take the time to publish web content nearly as good as this one and never saturate the web with nothing.!.! and also, I will share this with all of my friends..

Tani kredyt March 16, 2011, 3:55 AM

Someone essentially help to make seriously articles I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this particular publish amazing. Magnificent job!

מתנה March 16, 2011, 5:09 AM

מעוניינים לקנות מתנה לקרובים? וובסיט allgifts הוא הכתובת שלכם, עם עשרות מתנות מקוריות, שלא תמצאו בשום מקום אחר.

Madison Geppert March 16, 2011, 11:21 AM

There is noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain good factors in features also.

buy new car online March 16, 2011, 1:18 PM

I’m having a small issue. I’m unable to subscribe to your rss feed for some reason. I’m using google reader by the way.

malaysia girls sexy March 16, 2011, 8:10 PM

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell someone!

monster domains March 16, 2011, 10:02 PM

I agree with what you’re saying to a certain extent, but there’s always going to be someone who doesn’t agree with what you’re saying.

Flea and Tick Control for Dogs March 16, 2011, 10:41 PM

Jesus Christ theres lots of spammy feedback on this webpage. Have you ever thought about trying to eliminate them or putting in a extension?

namecheap promo code March 16, 2011, 11:50 PM

This really solved my problem, thank you!

Facial Magic March 17, 2011, 6:05 AM

brilliantly insightful story. If only it was as easy to implement some of the solutions as it was to read and nod my head at each of your points :P

Joaquin Allocca March 17, 2011, 2:10 PM

I really like what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and coverage! Keep up the awesome works guys I’ve included you guys to my own blogroll.

Life Plus March 17, 2011, 2:32 PM

Learning from humors for conquest evaluation resistance!

Seo services March 17, 2011, 10:51 PM

Thanks a lot for being my instructor on this theme. I enjoyed the article greatly and most of all liked how you really handled the issues I thought to be controversial. You’re always incredibly kind towards readers like me and assist me to in my living. Thank you.