My 10th Grader Wears Thong Underwear!

Guest Blogger Sandy: I'll be the first to admit, step parenting is no walk in the park! Especially when it comes to moody teenage girls. But "SHOCKED" is my current word of the day.

woman holding a thong

My mom is my personal adviser when it comes to parenting. I can always count on her to keep me focused and fair when it comes to my stepdaughter. The other day, my mom was over and thought she would help me out with an enormous pile of laundry. My stepdaughter does her own laundry, but had left her clothes in the dryer overnight. My mom laid her clothes on the bed for her to fold when she got home from school.

Later that day, my mom asks me, "So why would you allow a CHILD to wear a thong? That's disgusting." Well, this was news to me! I had no idea that my 10th-grade stepdaughter was wearing thongs.

When my stepdaughter got home that afternoon, I asked her why she felt the need to wear thong underwear. She said: "So people won't see my panty line." Of course, my next question was, "Why are you so worried about people not seeing your panty line"? She answered me with, "Eew, that's gross!"

So when SHOULD a mother allow her daughter to wear thong underwear? Is she really concerned about her "panty line" or she trying to be sexy?

next: Palin to Letterman: Apology Accepted
SaraSays June 16, 2009, 7:16 AM

I wore them all the time in 8th grade because I didn’t want anyone to see my panty line when I would where a dress. its no big deal as long as shes making it where people can’t see them. Talk to her about it just to make sure and remember to talk in a calm manner because you never know when a teen girl might blow up at you for it.

HappyMomofaTEENgirl June 16, 2009, 9:22 AM

10th Grade…thats about 15-16 years old right? Get out of her panties mom!
At this age, I’m sure she’s shopping at the mall with friends, buying most of her clothes without you. She’s probably been wearing thongs for awhile now, and yea, panty lines are a big deal in high school nowadays. As long as she’s not walking out the door in some micro-mini skirt and stilettoe heels, she’s fine. If her shorts are bigger than a belt ( Oh, I’ve seen some that arent!), and her jeans come up higher than her “bikini line”….a thong is not a problem. Heck, finding undies that arent a thong is harder than you’d think. Just take a good look at the rest of her wardrobe….and you’ll know from there wether to be worried or not.

Mary June 16, 2009, 12:06 PM

“No Panty Line” is such a crock. The panty line on a “Thong” is just higher up than on any other underwear.

Anonymous June 16, 2009, 12:25 PM

Mary are you serious? You must walk around showing off your granny panties with no problem. The rest of us, would rather not. There’s absolutly nothing wrong with her not wanting to have panty lines.

lovevictoriassecretthongs June 16, 2009, 12:30 PM

correction to mary’s comment, the panty line refers to seeing the underwear line on your butt. Not concerning how high it goes on your waist. You obviously do not wear thongs.

Mel June 16, 2009, 12:39 PM

Whats the big deal they are worn under her cloths. Do you realy think that in 10th grade she would still be wearing princess or care bear panties. Be happy it wasnt a thong bikini and at 10th grade if all you can complain about is her panty selection consider yourself lucky.

Rachel C. June 16, 2009, 1:13 PM

My stepdaughter, now 16, also wears thong panties. Like it or not, they are the “in” thing. I would be more surprised if she wore granny panties! She is a wonderful child… well behaved, brilliant and gets excellent grades. She is open and honest, and we have never had any real issues with her. How this is considered “disgusting”, I have no idea. Her underpants are none of anyone’s business but her own!

Tammy June 16, 2009, 3:47 PM

I Agree with “happyMomofateengirl”. What does the rest of her wardrobe look like? Just because she wears thongs doesn’t mean she isn’t being modest or ladylike. I’m a thong wearer and am totally celibate!!!!

Anonymous June 16, 2009, 11:23 PM

When I was in 10th grade, most girls wore thongs. I found them uncomfortable (still do!), so I didn’t. I found other ways to avoid the pantyline - i.e. wearing “boy shorts” cut underwear, so the line ends up lower than with normal underwear and it’s not visible either. Oh, and they’re soooo comfy! lol

RachelAZ June 17, 2009, 12:23 AM

Panty lines are considered a big fashion no no! She is in TENTH grade..what’s the big deal? I started wearing thongs in 7th grade and NO it wasn’t to be sexy! I actually find regular underwear extremely uncomfortable! IMO, you need to get with the new age program! Thongs doesn’t = sexy!

Anonymous June 17, 2009, 1:33 AM

don’t you love the poop stains from the butt crack in thong underwear?

sophia June 19, 2009, 2:32 AM

been wearin them everday since i was 12. no problems with parents. i didnt have my first bf till i was 16. now im 20. let your daughter wear them.

Sherrie June 19, 2009, 3:16 AM

gotta say Thong underwear doesn’t seem like amjaor concern to me. i started wearing them in 10th grade it was required because i was inshow choir and we had to wear undewear because it was at school (versus the dance studio where we wore nothing under our costumes) but we coudn’t have underwear showing or we could get docked points for being unkempted for lack of a better description. anyway after that i got use to the comfort of a thong and the lack of panty lines. seriously had nothing to do with trying to be sexy i didn’t even have my first kiss to well after HS when i was 19.

isis June 28, 2009, 12:37 AM

My daughter started wearing them in 6th grade due to the pantyline issue—I noticed it on her and figured so did the boys—-they look at her butt enough, why put a target on it?
She was eleven, almost 12.

I agree “get out of her panties”

Anonymous June 29, 2009, 3:37 AM

Get out of her panties. Seriously.

I started wearing thongs at age 15 because of the panty line issue, plus I like to wear fun underwear.

I paid for my own underwear and did my own laundry, so it wasn’t an issue for my mom.

Erin June 30, 2009, 10:11 PM

Maybe she’s wearing them to avoid panty lines maybe to feel sexy. Either way, as long as she is keeping them in her pants, there’s no problem. She’s not an adult but she isn’t a 6th grader either. A 15 year old is entitled to feel sexy too, as long as she isn’t acting irresponsibly

There’s nothing disgusting about her wearing a thong. Its the grandma who needs to grow up (calling thongs “disgusting” is childish) and not the stepdaughter. This is a classic case of butting in and creating a problem where no problem exists.

Anonymous July 10, 2009, 6:35 AM

Relax and take a chill pill. Men nowadays are trying them, it’s an underwear just as granny panties are. I’m a male 28 and I can assure you its perfectly OK, its just another item of clothing. Maybe you should try them as well :wink :)

Anonymous August 18, 2009, 5:14 AM

can you send a picure

TeenageBoy October 5, 2009, 4:54 PM

Well, fist off, I am a boy in the tenth grade. Call me immature or what, but everyone of my friends, which is a lot of people agree with me. Men are horny at my age, and whether a girl is wearing thongs or not to be “sexy”, that’s exactly what she’s doing. I get very aroused when I see other girls wearing thongs. Of course the decision is up to you and only you, but in my opinion, as a boy, thongs are sexy, and they bring feelings forward that regular underwear probably wouldn’t.

MotherNature October 8, 2009, 5:29 AM

I’m 37 and I wore thongs in high school. Seriously, quit being such a prude!