My Kid's Teacher is Being Laid Off

Yet the people of our city are throwing a multimillion dollar parade ... what's wrong with this picture?

2002 Los Angeles Lakers Parade

Momlogic's Julie: I live in a city that's about to host a $2 million parade for the Lakers. We're also bankrupt.

I got an e-mail from our school principal last night saying my daughter's teacher is not coming back next year due to budget cuts. To say I am devastated would be an understatement.

This is the best teacher I have ever encountered at my school or ANY school. She is an amazing kindergarten teacher. She has her own website for the class, and offers "kindercasts" where the kids can even sing the ABCs with her. She is at every after-school event and fundraiser. She is beyond patient with the kids. She sends home amazing ceramic projects and compiles a huge end-of-year book that encompasses everything the kids have done through the year. She gives 110%. In short, she is amazing.

But due to state budget cuts, the school is losing her. More than 27,000 preliminary pink slips have gone out to California teachers. Yet we're throwing a $2 million parade for the Lakers. Yes, the Lakers are paying half. Big whoop. They should pay for the whole thing. A million dollars to these players is like a hundred bucks to you or me. Let them split that cost among the team.

Or better yet, donate the million to the city and forget the damn parade! (After all, many fans RIOTED in the streets after the Lakers won the last game. This is who you are throwing the parade for.)

The mayor has faced so much criticism for the cost of the celebration, he has now convinced donors to pay for it. Why don't those private donors chip in for the salary of my daughter's kindergarten teacher while they're at it? Why don't they donate that money for something the city actually NEEDS -- versus a freaking parade?

Sometimes this world just seems unfair. This is one of those times.

Kobe, why don't you pay my daughter's teacher's salary next year? She deserves it. If you do -- I promise to throw you a parade right in front of the school. The 5-year-olds in my daughter's class will be the most grateful fans you've ever seen, on or off the court. That's a promise.

next: Did Radar Online Break Child Labor Laws?
amber1726 June 16, 2009, 8:15 PM

Spending millions of tax dollars on a parade is a moral sin! Children are our future adults. I think people really need to realize that they way we mold them now is going to change our world in the future. My child not having enough books in her class or having to lay off teachers who make more of a difference in this world to a child is way more important than someone who can throw a ball across a basketball court or a football field. I want nothing but the best for my daughter and her peers because one day they will be voters, law makers, enviormentalists they will be here and will be gone.

JW June 16, 2009, 8:23 PM

It’s being privately funded!

Recall Arnold June 17, 2009, 12:18 AM

First, we all know there are awful teachers out there that are tenured and therefore will not suffer. The whole system needs a makeover. It would be nice if raises and layoffs could be based on performance. The good teachers are generally the ones that aren’t tenured and they unfortunately will be the first to go.

And I agree the city isn’t paying for this, at least that’s the last I heard. Let’s hope the ghetto fans don’t show up and ruin it.

Anonymous June 17, 2009, 1:35 AM

why are teachers treated like god?

Really June 17, 2009, 8:58 AM

I don’t understand why all these people are still losing their jobs…I thought the GREAT ONE OBAMA said that he will not only save people their jobs but create new ones…hum?

Honesty June 17, 2009, 9:09 AM

This was the worst article I’ve ever read.

Dummy June 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

They spend 2 million dollars, and earn the city even more money through sales of tickets, hotels, car rentals, etc… In the long run, the Lakers bring a lot more money than 2 million dollars

Dummy June 17, 2009, 10:59 AM

YOU ARE the Dummy, Dummy June 17, 2009, 11:11 AM

God someone is just talking about their teacher getting laid off and you idiots have to leave these kind of comments! What is wrong with you!

cmitch June 17, 2009, 11:30 AM

Kobe’s taxes has probably already paid your child’s teacher salary. Should the Lakers be responsible for the entire city budget or lack there of? You should be happy to have the Lakers in your city and a reason to celebrate. When they come to be too much for your city, send them here to my city, we would be elated to have them, the parade, and the bill.

Jay June 17, 2009, 1:41 PM

Perhaps if the state didn’t let themselves be collectively bent over by the teachers union this wouldn’t happen. FREE HEALTH CARE?!?! Are you kidding? You people voted the world for your teachers and then they wanted more. Now the consequences of those actions are manifesting themselves and you’re concerned about a parade? Even if it were funded by the city it would be a drop in the bucket compared to all the money your great state wastes on illegals and other garbage. And as someone pointed out, I bet the Lakers exert a positive influence on the L.A. economy. I and others I know have driven hundreds of miles to watch basketball in L.A.

Jay

David C June 17, 2009, 2:41 PM

laker parade route,NBA championship,Watch Los Angeles Lakers Parade 2009 NBA World Champions Full LIVE Online Stream…
Exclusive Video here:lakers parade live-online-video

David C June 17, 2009, 2:41 PM

Exclusive Video here:lakers parade live-online-video

Tom June 17, 2009, 4:37 PM

Obviously the donors care more about the Lakers than your daughters teacher. Is that fair? NO, neither is life. Welcome to the conversation.
Your daughter won’t be in Kindergarten next year anyway and if she is…well you should worry about that a little more and not basketball parades.

Not OK June 18, 2009, 11:51 AM

It’s too bad that it’s not so easy. You can’t simply cancel a parade and save a teacher. We’ve spent years building a horrible system where the California Teachers Union runs California education for the benefit of older teachers (not better teachers and certainly not for the children)
On top of that we have a payroll that needs more money than we bring in during the best years. We were on our way to bankruptcy long before the “global problems”. The system needs an overhaul; it’s time to pay the piper.

Anonymous June 23, 2009, 4:16 PM

Money had a great deal to do with the teacher you mentioned being laid off. Regretably, the decision as to who gets laid off has little if anything to do with a teacher’s abilities. A medicore teacher with senioity stays, an excellent teacher without senioity goes.

patty49er June 23, 2009, 6:25 PM

I’ve taught for 22 years and I work my butt off every single year. Ask my husband and he’ll tell you the long hours I put in to prepare engaging lessons (this is for high school) and also to grade and give lots of feedback. I’m talking 50 hours plus some weeks. I don’t need tenure because I take pride in how I do my job and I also develop a close bond with my students, who happen to be “at-risk,” by the way.

If administrators would follow procedure, the bad teachers would be weeded out, but doing this takes time and effort. Administrators are supposed to get “problem” teachers help and everything has to be documented. When there are parent and student complaints that are more serious than Johnny getting an “A-” instead of an “A” in a class, then that must be documented. When there is enough documentation and if there isn’t enough improvement being shown, then a teacher can be fired. But there has to be due process. I guess in the old days, teachers were being fired for things like union participation, being homosexual, political party affiliations, or because of personality conflicts with the principal.

In my district (in Southern California but not Los Angeles) teachers used to be hired as temporary contract teachers for the first 2-3 years and could be fired at the principal or district’s whim until they got permanent status (they don’t call it tenure). Now what they’re doing is hiring new teachers as long-term substitute teachers (they don’t receive benefits, which is cheaper) and can be laid off at a moment’s notice, which I think is uncool. All of those teachers have now been laid off and we’re hearing there may be lay-offs in August when we thought we were all safe if we didn’t get a pink slip in March. I’m pretty sure I’m safe. There will be weak teachers who will be safe and strong teachers who may be laid off. If administrators will do what is necessary to force weak teachers to improve or lose their jobs, then everybody will be better off. Maybe parents will need to be more involved in their children’s education and if they realize there’s a weak teacher, parents will have to be vocal. Parents have way more power than they may realize.

I realize this is a scary time for everybody. There’s also talk of cutting our pay and benefits. There will also be another round of lay-offs at my husband’s aerospace company. He’s been there 25 years and doesn’t consider himself totally safe. Blaming Obama seems pretty silly when he’s been in office for five months. It took more than five months for all of this to develop; I’m no economist, but I would think that expecting Obama to get it solved in five months is unrealistic. Being worried and scared? That’s realistic.

Cheryl June 25, 2009, 12:12 PM

I know how you feel! I just found out from my son’s Kindergarten teacher is also being laid off. I, too am beyond devestated. She is an excellent teacher that didn’t deserve that pink slip, as she has made all of her children in her class excel. I want to help her but I don’t know where to start, as there are many other stories out there like this.

Nurblari February 7, 2011, 4:21 AM

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYY PAAAAAAALLLLL
HEY

Buy Dress February 17, 2011, 6:49 PM

Awesome, I adore The Lakers! They are the top team in basketball! We will never ever see another power house team like this again, although they lost to the Cavs! Go KOBE!