Keep Your Kids Away from These Kids

Momlogic's Talitha: MTV's got "My Super Sweet 16," featuring way-over-the-top sweet 16 parties that seem more like weddings to me.

Now, Bravo's come up with a real-life "Gossip Girl." The show, "NYC Prep," documents six "privileged teenagers who are key players in Manhattan's elite high school scene."

Translation: "Six spoiled brats who think just because their parents have money, they can do, say, and buy whatever they want." Watch this:

These KIDS take sophisticated vacations, attend frequent midnight parties, shop at the most exclusive designer boutiques, and talk as if their parents' money is their own. They are self-indulgent and, truth be told, think their s*** don't stink. Gross.

Don't know about you, but my kid isn't going out partying at midnight, nor will they be racking up my credit cards with designer clothing.

Teens and tweens are confronted with an incredible amount of pressure these days. Why can't television networks come up with something a little more positive and classy rather than stooping so low just for ratings? Instead of making our kids feel like crap, television could be a medium to inspire them or to instill something positive. From the language to the message, from the subject matter to the casting -- all of "NYC Prep" is beyond embarrassing.

These shows should be R-rated -- for Ridiculous!

next: We're Making Every Recipe in the Magazine
angstmom.com June 30, 2009, 10:12 AM

i totally agree. i saw the teasers for this show and it was like watching a train wreck- horrifying but i couldn’t take my eyes off of it. just what we need, more entitled, spoiled brats who have done nothing to earn anything with their own television show!

Kirsten June 30, 2009, 12:16 PM

If you raise your kids correctly a television show won’t be able to make them feel like “crap.” Parents should never be able to blame a television show for making there kids feel any certain way because the parents should teach their kids what self-esteem and self-respect is and along with the rest of america they will just laugh at shows like this. Lighten up! Its just a silly television show intended to entertain america and not educate.

MamaLost June 30, 2009, 12:25 PM

Nope, I think shows like this are worth a concern. I watched about 10 minutes, and was repulsed. Seriously. And this is one of many that kids watch everyday.

Our kids are bombarded like no previous generation has been, with this weird glorification of being spoiled and petty.

.o2,
ML

Rose June 30, 2009, 12:28 PM

I raised two kids as a single Mom & no amount of money would let me allow my teens to run wild & ramped…Those teens on this, yet another reality show are spoiled & out of control…they can’t even speak in complete sentences & formulate complete thoughts..allowing that jerk of a guy to run them down in his comdensending manner of fact… demenor… talking about nothing or anything valid. They have nothing valid to say or offer real teens…I agree, this show is a waste of viewers time & air waves…it should be rated R…for ridiculous. Beware all Moms & young teens…life isn’t really this way.

jackie June 30, 2009, 3:27 PM

What the writer is saying is, why is this CRAP on television? Don’t take it so literally people — it’s just, instead of using many dollars to produce something GOOD/POSITIVE, why continue to put crap on that has nothing but a bunch of spoiled little brats being driven around in limos and “having cocktails” at 17 years old.

she’s right.

Chela July 18, 2009, 3:54 AM

I agree with the previous poster who said that if you raise your children right, they won’t be bothered by the show. I’m 16 and this show is one of my guilty pleasures. It’s fun to see how other kids live and how different people are raised. I live in the city and have money but I know how to live humbly and have been taught how to be a smart spender. It all depends on how you choose to raise your kids and what you teach them about money and social situations.

Maureen September 22, 2009, 6:06 AM

I think the real issue here is that no where in TV land - with the exception of Public Television - is anyone concerned about quality and value. It is all about ratings because it is all about selling ad spots - that’s what corporations are paying for - ad time to the biggest audiences possible. So if showing train wrecks captivates the viewer to stay tuned, that is what will be on. We need to educate our children to be savvy and realize that the media is one giant marketing tool. They need to be able to see when they are being exploited. We do not watch ANY tv in our house and no one is suffering - we actually have meaningful lives and relationships.