Obama's Marriage is a Good Thing for All of Us

Dr. Michelle Golland: The firestorm around how they got to NYC and the issue of spending taxpayer money is not one I care to address. However, I do believe seeing the First Couple going out on a date night is a good thing for all of us who are married and struggling to maintain connected, happy relationships -- while managing the chaos of work and family.

Barack and Michelle Obama

As a relationship expert, I hear many couples who sit across from me say, "I just don't know him anymore" or "All she cares about is the kids and keeping the order of the house." My first question is, "How often do you go out alone as a couple?" The most in-distress couples are the ones that can barely remember the last time they actually went on a date. This is a serious problem in a marriage. I also don't accept the issue of not having money for a babysitter or someone they can trust. We should all have a few people we will leave our children with and who would be willing to swap kids for a night so each couple could get a date night out.

Barack Obama made a promise to his wife, Michelle, that after the campaign was over he would take her to a Broadway play. As our president, he made good on his promise to his wife. We should be proud of that fact. As partners, we make promises to each other that if not fulfilled can fester and create resentment and anger. I believe to be successful at our jobs and in our family life we need to keep the "couplehood" of our lives high on the priority list. It is easy to let this get pushed down by work commitments and the schedules of our children's busy lives, but once it is off the list I promise you that you will find yourself on your way to a disconnected and unfulfilling marriage.

We can take the lead from our First Couple and make our marital relationships one of the most important parts of our lives -- if not the most important. I believe in my own marriage, and I tell this to my couples all the time: "You are an example of what it means to be a 'husband' and what it means to be a 'wife,' not just parents." Our kids learn what they will want in their relationships from us. I know I want my daughter to want a man who will be affectionate towards her, respect her opinions, value her as a mother, wife, and woman. She sees this in our marriage -- it is not just a wish for her, but is now an expectation for her future.

"Date Night" is not just about getting away from the kids, but creating a new history and new stories together as a couple. The reason many couples divorce when the kids go off to college is because they no longer have anything to talk about and have totally lost their couple connection: they have focused only on their identities as "parents," not as "partners." The First Couple can be an example of how we all need both, no matter how busy or hectic our lives can be -- we must make our marriage a top priority. I now will say to my couples, "If the First Couple can find the time and energy to go out on date nights, then I am sure we can find a way to get you two out alone regularly."

next: Sex and the City Your Next Baby Shower!
hmmIwonder June 3, 2009, 5:07 PM

Love and happiness are not measured by material things, e.g. date night. Love is sacrificing ‘personal pleasure-time’ to think and do more for world safety, harmony, and peace. And by the way, how can anyone be actually happy when the world is suffering, and how can anyone be not happy for all that one has, a chance to live and journey this world?

Jessica June 4, 2009, 2:44 AM

In response to hmmlwonder>
I really have to wonder at your logic here. Date night isn’t about the money spent while going out together. Obtaining and maintaining a real caring human connection is what’s at the heart of a date night. Being happy and enjoying time with the one you love should be a part of that chance to live and the journey you speak of.
Love isn’t merely sacrificing, but being willing to sacrifice. The more you’re willing to sacrifice, the less that will be asked of you in life, because you freely give it. If everyone puts themselves in that position and is willing to take the time to make another person happy with a sacrifice, whether it be their partner or not, the the whole world will be a much happier, safer, and peaceful place to live in.
I feel like you’re on the right track, but you’ve not found your way yet. Very good ideas, and yet you’re so negative. The things you mention may be true, but the beauty in life is that they are not mutually exclusive. Another key to living happier and easier is acceptance - not having to force things into molds and occasionally letting the world be as it is for a moment, because sometimes (even if we don’t realize it or agree with it) it is better.

Jorge June 21, 2009, 2:45 PM

I want to join robosapien becaz i want to reaseach in robotics.
I am from Jamaica and also now’m speaking English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Lamisil, a drug for onychomycosis or toenail fungus is a.”

Best regards :(, Jorge.

Hxqtyfwn June 27, 2009, 3:42 PM

Yr2BWn comment6 ,

Doria July 1, 2009, 6:47 PM

Hi, I have been here for several times now and thought to sign your guestbook. Very nice! Keep up the good work.
I am from France and now teach English, please tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Learn more about infestation of fleas in dogs, dog fleas life cycle, and dog flea treatment method.”

Thank :p Doria.

Bracha September 5, 2009, 4:45 AM

Good morning. There are several good protections against temptations, but the surest is cowardice.
I am from Ukraine and learning to write in English, tell me right I wrote the following sentence: “Chase freedom mastercard, bank security career belongs therefore run a summary year allow better riders as they are many to know more both telephone and current world rates.”

Regards ;-) Bracha.

High School Senior Picture Backgrounds November 25, 2010, 1:48 AM

Every great advance in natural knowledge has involved the absolute rejection of authority.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 5:30 PM

Very helpful information. Thank you, have a nice day!

valium December 1, 2010, 3:47 PM

All I can say is keep it up. This blog is so necessary in a time when everyone just wants to talk about how many people someones cheated on their wife with. I mean, thanks for bringing intelligence back to the web, its been sorely missed. Great stuff. Please keep it coming!

marbella property December 10, 2010, 5:09 AM

Very useful info. I appreciate your effort, have a good day!

Flower Bed Stone Borders December 10, 2010, 10:59 PM

popular short haircuts 2012 December 22, 2010, 5:43 AM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

erotyka December 28, 2010, 5:13 PM

Oh yeah! Interesting facts! Thanks for sharing, greetings.

Clifford Huszar December 28, 2010, 9:09 PM

I haven’t a bad word to say about it I can only admire this brilliant article. It’s very needed!

phen375 reviews January 6, 2011, 9:11 PM

Ladies generally aren’t trying to shed enormous amounts of pounds generally. The majority of the men and women making use of phen375 are just seeking to drop Five in order to Twenty-five lbs typically and also usually the stomach fat. Most are healthful, visit the fitness center sort folks. They simply haven’t been able to drop fat deposits on the tummy or have reached any Plato. Abdominal fat issues normally begin to take place for ladies at about the time regarding or right after giving birth as well as later in age pre and post menopause. It seems hitting females although right now there hormonal changes are changing; it’s a normal means of existence or perhaps is it? I will demonstrate how the real body fat kept in the belly or perhaps stomach location differs from the others and also the a lot more you’ve got of it the actual whores your own junk imbalance will become.

Gaston Platts January 7, 2011, 1:06 PM

Nice info. Thanks so much, very informative and easy to understand.

Jailbreak iPhone 4.1 January 12, 2011, 4:06 AM

Good work there. I just signed up

Hostel Bridge January 13, 2011, 10:52 PM

I saw something about this topic on TV last night. Good post.

Basswood Blinds January 19, 2011, 8:28 PM

Hey got nothing all that original in this comment, so all i have to say is that your site is cool, sad that I can’t come up with something original Thanks again for sharing this online. I certainly enjoyed every bit of it.

pearl January 26, 2011, 3:09 AM

Character is everything, so we pauperism to ensure that there are values on what we are sharing to book our subscribers involved. Effort them harassed is one feeling we must line do!
best bar stools