Size 14 is a Perfect 10?

Now THIS makes us want to move to Australia ...

A new study Down Under found that Aussie men find size 14 women more appealing than women stacked like models and centerfolds.

The study, taken by the University of New South Wales, found the most attractive of all is Miss Average -- a 5-foot, 4-inch female with a 30-inch waist and 40-inch hips who wears a size 14.

But do dudes across the U.S. feel the same way? And if they do, why the hell are we always dieting?

We went on a mission and put together a range of eight bikini-clad body types (see our Body Type Board below) and hit the streets.

bodythumb2.jpg

We surveyed more than 2,000 men and women in New York, Los Angeles, and the Midwest -- and, it didn't matter whether they were on the East Coast, West Coast, or smack in the middle of the country -- men and women (overwhelmingly) chose the same body type as their favorite. Can you guess which one?

Click on the gallery below to see all our models and their sizes -- and tell us who you think has the best body.

Yup, from coast to coast -- and even the Midwest -- the majority preferred the size 0. ZERO! Pretty interesting, considering the average size of an American woman is a 14. Let us break it down for you:

In New York City, a town where diversity rules, we were surprised by the lack of diversity in people's choices.

• Model # 1 was the hands-down winner with a whopping 78% of the votes.
  • Model # 2 came in a distant second with 10% of the votes.
  • Model # 3 came in third with a paltry 8% of the votes.

In Los Angeles, a city known to worship at the altar of thin, the results were a little more varied -- but don't get too excited.

• Model # 1 got 55% of the votes.
  • Model # 2 came in second with 30% of the votes.
  • Model # 3 came in third with just 12% of the votes.

To find out what people in the Midwest thought, we turned to our friends at WKQI Detroit, Channel 955, "Mojo in the Morning." They ran our survey and the results were fairly consistent with the rest of the country.

• Model # 1 swept 60% of the votes.
  • Model # 2 (once again) came in second with 18% of the votes.
  • Model # 3 brought up the rear with 13% of the votes.

Although we wanted to believe that we don't live in a society where men find a size 0 to be the perfect body type, we do.

You won't believe what men had to say about their choice.

Bernard_30_split8.jpg Bernard, 30: Chose Model # 1: "She cares about her body. She clearly works out and if she doesn't work out, then she has a good doctor. I'm a breast man and her boobs look nurturing. She has good cleavage and she's not too skinny."
Arthur_39_split8.jpg Arthur, 39: Chose Model#1: "She is thinner and leaner than the rest. She has the same body type as my wife -- and I like it."
Mike_42_split8.jpg Mike, 42: Chose Model#2: "She's my favorite because she's athletic and toned. I'm not a boob man. I like the athletic chick better."

Mike_25_split8.jpg Mike, 25: Chose Model#3: "She looks realistic, like a real woman. I like women with some curves. I like women to be realistic and healthy. Women don't need to be skinny with big boobs to be attractive."

Here's how some men on the street defended their choices:

What do you think of our findings? Comment below!

Related Galleries

next: Teen "Accidentally" Gets 56 Tattoos
Jackie June 17, 2009, 4:06 PM

The survey is skewed. Model #1 is the only one who’s slim with an impressive (and visible) rack. She looks like a Bond girl. Undoubtedly, she’s also the only professional model there.

Brooke June 17, 2009, 4:12 PM

I just want to know how than can tell that she is tall or how her “booty” is…

Marci June 17, 2009, 4:13 PM

Um…Momlogic, didn’t I see this exact same survey on here last year?

anonymous June 17, 2009, 4:39 PM

Jackie, I agree. Maybe if the models all posed the same way or wore the same style bikini it’d be a bit more fair. I’m a size 8 female and can’t stand the rail thin girls, it looks so unhealthy, but even I chose #1 as the best looking, because she seems to be proportional. It’s not always about the size it’s about proportions. Tiny chest and large hips make people look the other way, balance it out a bit better and people think they look amazing.

kitty June 17, 2009, 4:52 PM

1,2,3 are hot.
The rest of the bodies are IMO not attractive at all. You can clearly start to see, lumps, bumps, rolls and glob of fat starting with model 3 and just getting worse.

Honestly, there should be diversity between body shapes, but not several hundred pounds!!

It’s not natural of the body to be so fat.

Anyway, before you get all pissy at me, I don’t look anything like model #1 either.
I’m 5’10, 28” waist, 37” hips and I weigh 160lb.

Sooo, compared to our norm, I’m huge because of my height and weight.

*shrug*
Atleast I still have a human body shape with natural curves and proportions.

me June 17, 2009, 4:56 PM

Love the idea of this survey, but I agree with Jackie and anonymous. Model 1’s pose is provocative and she has large breasts. I don’t think this survey was that much about body size. The bikinis on some of the models were awful. Something that flattered each body type would have been more fair.

ame i. June 17, 2009, 7:28 PM

I’m laughing with Kitty! 5’10’, 160 is beautiful. Huge = NOT! I wish I was as tall as Kitty.
I’m 5’8” and run between 130 & 140 during the course of a year. As far as clothing sizes go, I think they keep changing. A few years ago after my husband died my weight went down to 120. I had a denim mini skirt in a size 1, jeans in a size 3.
Now I am a 5, 7, or 9 in jeans, depending on the brand. I need a 12 or 14 size dress. I wear a 36 or 38 C bra,again depending on the brand, and have 37” hips.
Regarding model 1: I seem to remember from the last time this post ran that we couldn’t agree/tell if she had implants because most women of that stature have smaller breasts.
It would have to be on another website,but how about we do a survey on men’s body types, complete with penile width and length measurements? Fair is fair,right?

Bernadine July 10, 2009, 1:28 AM

I can see picking #1, but #2? She has no curves at all! At least #5 looks feminine. I would rank them #1, #5, #3.

J July 28, 2009, 11:32 PM

In the Australian study, pictures of the different sizes of women were unbiased. They were of ambiguous race, equally toned, equal relative breast size, etcetera.

The reason the size 0 is being picked in this study is that she is the only toned model, the only model with distinctive curves (actually not typical for the size range), only model with large breasts prortionally to her body… etcetera.

So from the pics in this biased study I would choose girl size 0 simply because she’s probably the only model, but normally I’d go for a miss Average.

Gabe August 6, 2009, 9:52 PM

Why do we do this? Its like if your a woman and your not 25 and a size 0 your nothing.We all have to get older and heavier. No I am not saying its ok to let yourself get obese. But pic 3 there was snide comments about her. It seems like all men care about is your size and age. Its seems its ok for them to 45 and pot belly but heaven forbid that a women is over 25 and better be under 120 pounds. No wonder this world is so messed up.

Bob September 4, 2009, 5:24 AM

I agree with the others - this is a purposely flawed “survey”. It does not compare body sizes but rather beauty and fitness. An unbiased survey would have Marilyn Monroe as the 3 and Jayne Mansfield as the 4.

Robert.

Alex September 4, 2009, 9:55 PM

Perceptions of beauty are also strongly related to things like symmetry that aren’t related to weight, but I doubt those bodies are closely matched on it.

I’d also be curious to see them line up pictures of men in their skivies, and see how many women pick the balding pudgy guy in the middle of the row as most attractive (wouldn’t that be shockingly shallow of them). Women surely get judged more harshly than men on their looks, but it’s not a completely one way street.

Hey, ask a question about physical beauty, get an answer about physical beauty. Ask a question about which real person you would date, maybe get a different answer.

steve January 8, 2010, 11:19 AM

I’m a guy, and I agree this is a flawed “study.”

The most glaringly obvious example is #7. She looks to be in far worse shape and looks much heavier than number 8. Number 6 just has a big belly; she’d otherwise be pretty attractive. And I also agree that #1’s breasts make her much more attractive than she’d be if they were smaller. Sorry to be crude, but she has a great rack, and on that body they make her look even hotter. I like #3’s body too, but her breasts seem proportionally too small.

For the record, I like more shapely women—those with “womanly” curves. The super-skinny women just look pre-pubescent to me, which is unattractive. But, because of the way the sizes are presented, I too would have picked #1.

No One Much March 12, 2010, 6:26 AM

Not only is the study flawed, but the “Size 14” you talk about is a BRITISH size 14— which is a size 10 in the USA. Way to go with the reading skills.

Eric March 17, 2010, 12:23 PM

When a girl has a nice body it is a sign that she takes good care of herself and will not only outlive the overweight women, she’ll enjoy the years too. Same goes for men. Your appearance shows your character and your work ethic. I work hard to keep my body in shape and healthy and I believe it is not the least bit shallow to think I deserve to be with someone will also take great care of herself.

lipa90 August 1, 2010, 3:02 AM

4and6 hot

LSAT practice test January 1, 2011, 7:52 AM

Hello there I’m experiencing a problems with browsing your web site, I’m given 500 pages very regularly, I am not too clear as to why but when I refresh the page it returns right.

Lena February 12, 2011, 12:18 PM

5&3 seems to be the average american size. 1 has the body of a teenager. I would rather look like an athletic woman, than a little teenager.

Emory Palinkas March 13, 2011, 2:52 PM

I’d have to concede with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I love reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to speak my mind!

water damage March 18, 2011, 1:23 AM

I have bookmarked your site and will come back again. Trying to stay up on the latest.