Spanking is Child Abuse!

If you ask me, there is NEVER an excuse for hitting a child. And in my opinion, if you do, you should be arrested for child abuse and have your children taken away from you.

woman in jail

Radical Mommy: There is no doubt that spanking is a controversial topic. Do you do it? If you do, when do you do it? How do you do it? And how often?

Well, in my opinion, hitting a child is no different than your husband hitting you, and there is no excuse for it -- no matter how "bad" your child is.

So many people use the excuse, "Nothing else works. Spanking is the only thing that gets through to him/her." That's bullsh**. Spanking is just an excuse for taking your anger, frustration, and poor parenting skills out on your child.

People often spank because their child continues to do something that they deem annoying, dangerous, or defiant. Isn't that what being a kid is about? I mean really, how annoying can a child be that would warrant beating them with your hand, a belt, or a paddle -- whatever your weapon of choice might be? And yes, your hand is a weapon when it's inflicting pain on another person.

Have you ever considered that your child allegedly "responds" to the spanking because you are finally paying attention to him? After all, how does a kid get to be so annoying? You allowed him to become that way instead of nipping it in the bud when he was younger.

The fact is that if a man hit you because he was annoyed with you, frustrated with you, or thought you were doing something stupid or dangerous, he would be arrested and charged with abuse. Why then is it OK to hit a poor, defenseless child who has no choice about who his parents are? Unlike you, who chose to be with the man you are with.

Spanking is a cop out. It's a way to avoid parenting children and it's a way to take out aggression. It's also ABUSE.

So people, next time you get the urge to "spank" your kids, go find a puppy or a kitten and smack them around -- I'm sure they deserve it too!

next: Obscenity Appears on Yearbook Cover
Lylah June 19, 2009, 3:55 PM

Um, way to trivialize the abuse that children actually do suffer. When I was younger, my father used to BEAT me. When I was moved to FC, my FM used to SPANK me. Let me be the first to tell you that there is a huge difference between the two. Don’t downplay actual abuse by comparing it to spanking. There is a huge difference between being punched in the face as opposed to swatted on the bum. Get real.

Jen June 19, 2009, 6:25 PM

I don’t agree with parents that spank over stupid or little stuff, but if it’s something that’s dangerous that’s different. And there is a HUGE difference between spanking and abusing or hitting. My sisters daughter shoved her brother down the stairs when she was 3 and he was 4. I picked her up, bent her over my knee, and held my one hand on her butt and used the other one to hit it. She didn’t get spanked at all but the sound of the clap from my hands was enough to scare her.

Rusty June 19, 2009, 8:49 PM

I spanked my children,but I learned from my father, NEVER spank when your angry, and ALWAYS explain why you did, and hug them after. I am very proud of them now.

Vanessa June 19, 2009, 9:33 PM

UHm hve you ever tried to reason with a child to young to understand your words that the stove is too hot, the electric outlet can kill them, don’t run into the street….

You get my point, I hope, that sometimes a swat on the butt is better than yelling “stop” and seeing your kid die when hes hit by a car.

Yes, abuse is wrong. But wondering why our children act out, make horrible decisions, and never get punished for what they do, is so stupid.

Pamala June 19, 2009, 11:50 PM

Not vaccinating a child is abuse and any parent who doesn’t should be arrested and thrown in jail.

Dara S June 21, 2009, 3:24 PM

Give me a break.

RJ June 22, 2009, 6:43 AM

i am sorry but Spanking IS NOT just another tool to use when parenting!
do I got news for you, Children Serives would disagree with you and your lucky you aint in jail already, hitting a kid on the rear once or twice is spanking, But bending him over your knee and spanking him 12-20 times with your hand or some other object until his or her rear is red Like most of the Story’s
i read out there thats crazy and it’s child abuse only a lunitic or prevert would do something like that,
i disapprove of any and all methods Because Parents get way out of control with it and i dont care what anybody says, My parents never laid a hand on me they didnt dear do it because my grandparents would of halted it and another thing this go’s out to Anonymous your the one who needs to get a life i bet your kids hate your guts,

PA State Constable
R.J. Thoms

Ms.Cherri June 22, 2009, 12:06 PM

Oh please you need to stop there is a BIG difference between a spank/pop and a (slap,kick,punch,choke) etc…,so I guess your the parent that lets their child hit you,course at you and act like they dont have any home training in public then you should up your life policy now because their gonna kill you

Tiffany June 23, 2009, 12:43 AM

#1 SPANKING IS A FORM OF PUNISHMENT! READ THE DICTIONARY!!! Says it right in the book!
#2 YOU CANNOT CONFUSE A CHILD IF YOU EDUCATE THEM ON THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HITTING & SPANKING AS A FORM OF DISCIPLINE!!
#3 I RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE’S OPINIONS UNTIL THEY START MAKING UNNECESSARY REMARKS AS: “PARENTS SHOULD LOSE THEIR CHILDREN FOR SPANKING (NOT ABUSING), THEIR KIDS”. Just makes the other person sound ignorant!

Lynn June 23, 2009, 2:19 AM

I was Spanked,but NOT ABUSED!!! My parents did a good job raising me even though I have done my share of my misbehavin… Today Parents yur not in control of yur kids, they are in control!! They know abt laws today that protects them, kids are’nt stuipd!!! Send them to their room or time outs dont mean nothing!! Get Spanking Bill Passed!! I think for child to be spanked at an approperate age between 5 to 10 years of age.. Their should be proper tranning on how to spank a child for PARENTING.. Spanking is Punishment enough to let alone to sent them to their room or timeout.. Kids today are so undisplined and out of control!! Dont be surprised if the government or lawmakers allow kids to RULE THE HOUSEHOLD!!! Its Happening!! What A Shame of Parents TODAY!! SPANK THOSE BRATS!!! TEACH THEM LESSONS!! I LEARNED MINE!!

Slum Dawg June 23, 2009, 11:00 AM

You’re so far off base it’s not funny. Kids these days need more spanking than ever. I’d even break out the belt. Damn punk kids. Look how they’re growing up - no respect! Look at the rude teens working at Kmart and the convenience stores and tell me they wouldn’t have benefitted from a good swat.

Kelly  July 2, 2009, 10:09 PM

This article has a good intent. There are people who take things too far. I have a 3 year old son who I will “tap” on the bottom if he runs in the road or does not stay in bed. I try ever other mechanism first. Talking, time outs, taking away toys, sweets, etc. But at some point you have to figure out what works. If I tap his butt lightly he listens. End of story. It is a last resort and he knows that it hurts me to do it. I never hurt him or do it hard enough to leave a red mark. I think the mom writing the article above is trying to stop abusive behaviors in parents that cross the line. I think spanking is something that should be done carefully and with only the most level mind.

Maryanne July 9, 2009, 10:31 AM

Spanking is employed by parents who have no patience with their children. You do not have to spank your children if you take the time to teach them effectively. Do I think parents who spank are criminals? No. But I do believe that spanking does more harm than good. Our children might grow up to be happier, more productive people if parents took the time to employ effective discipline.

Gail Cooke July 9, 2009, 11:21 AM

Quite frankly, I’ve never seen a child who has been raised on time outs even remotely listen to their parents or anyone else for that matter. Time outs are a joke to them. There’s nothing wrong with spanking…normal people know where to draw the line.

cheyenne July 20, 2009, 12:49 PM

I try to avoid any spanking, time outs or other types of criticism to my sons actions if at all possible (but im not perfect). After all If I am allowing myself to get what I want by stopping a child from doing what he/she wants..It is no less the same blessing that I am recieving, that the child wishes to recieve.

Justin July 25, 2009, 10:22 PM

SPANKING IS NOT CHILD ABUSE. IT INSTILLS THAT THEY SHOULD NOT DO NOTHING BAD. THE IDIOTS WHO DOES NOT DISCIPLINE THEIR KIDS SHOULD HAVE THEM REMOVED.

PDeverit August 8, 2009, 1:50 PM

Child buttock-battering vs. DISCIPLINE:

Child buttock-battering for the purpose of gaining compliance is nothing more than an inherited bad habit.

Its a good idea for people to take a look at what they are doing, and learn how to DISCIPLINE instead of hit.

I think the reason television shows like “Supernanny” and “Dr. Phil” are so popular is because that is precisely what many (not all) people are trying to do.

There are several reasons why child buttock-battering isn’t a good idea. Here are some good, quick reads recommended by professionals:

Plain Talk About Spanking
by Jordan Riak,

The Sexual Dangers of Spanking Children
by Tom Johnson,

NO VITAL ORGANS THERE So They Say
by Lesli Taylor M.D. and Adah Maurer Ph.D.

Most compelling of all reasons to abandon this worst of all bad habits is the fact that buttock-battering can be unintentional sexual abuse for some children. There is an abundance of educational resources, testimony, documentation, etc available on the subject that can easily be found by doing a little research on “spanking”.

Just a handful of those raising awareness of why child buttock-battering isn’t a good idea:

American Academy of Pediatrics,

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,

Center For Effective Discipline,

PsycHealth Ltd Behavioral Health Professionals,

Churches’ Network For Non-Violence,

Nobel Peace Prize recipient Archbishop Desmond Tutu,

Parenting In Jesus’ Footsteps,

Global Initiative To End All Corporal Punishment of Children,

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.

In 26 countries child buttock-battering is prohibited by law.
In fact, the US was the only UN member that did not ratify the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

VanBurenMom August 28, 2009, 1:43 PM

Well we are a sorta spanking family. My son has received spanks but it was doing something that could have caused him to get hurt. Most recently it was jumping off the stairs. After telling him to stop once and 2 time outs for it. He got a stern Talk, a quick, light smack on the bottom and a 10 min time out. My son realizes that if he gets a ‘spank’ he has pushed us WAY to far! After his time out we asked him what he thought about what happened and he said “I was naughty for jumping off the stairs, I am sorry!” and he has not done it again. ‘Spanks’ when used RIGHT can teach. I do NOT hit my child nor do I abuse him. ‘Spanks’ are done LIGHTLY and more as a wake up call, always THRU clothes NEVER on a bare bum and only given to stop him from doing something dangerous. He is 5 1/2 and has maybe had 3 spanks in his life. They are also always given with warning, I count to 5 with my fingers, he knows if I get to all 5 than he gets a ‘wake up tap’ on his hind end. Both my husband and I were raised the same way and we are perfectly fine with raising our children like that!

Brittany September 1, 2009, 1:06 AM

You know what children do in time out? Find something to play with. Heck, they’ll play with their fingers if nothing else. It doesn’t teach them anything.

barb September 25, 2009, 7:45 PM

spanking is a good thing for kids not abuse…when they took out spanking and God out of most schools then they allowed the devil to come in and take over look at the statistics on shootings in schools…i say abide by the bible spare the rod hat ethe child the bible doesnt lie does it