Spanking is Child Abuse!

If you ask me, there is NEVER an excuse for hitting a child. And in my opinion, if you do, you should be arrested for child abuse and have your children taken away from you.

woman in jail

Radical Mommy: There is no doubt that spanking is a controversial topic. Do you do it? If you do, when do you do it? How do you do it? And how often?

Well, in my opinion, hitting a child is no different than your husband hitting you, and there is no excuse for it -- no matter how "bad" your child is.

So many people use the excuse, "Nothing else works. Spanking is the only thing that gets through to him/her." That's bullsh**. Spanking is just an excuse for taking your anger, frustration, and poor parenting skills out on your child.

People often spank because their child continues to do something that they deem annoying, dangerous, or defiant. Isn't that what being a kid is about? I mean really, how annoying can a child be that would warrant beating them with your hand, a belt, or a paddle -- whatever your weapon of choice might be? And yes, your hand is a weapon when it's inflicting pain on another person.

Have you ever considered that your child allegedly "responds" to the spanking because you are finally paying attention to him? After all, how does a kid get to be so annoying? You allowed him to become that way instead of nipping it in the bud when he was younger.

The fact is that if a man hit you because he was annoyed with you, frustrated with you, or thought you were doing something stupid or dangerous, he would be arrested and charged with abuse. Why then is it OK to hit a poor, defenseless child who has no choice about who his parents are? Unlike you, who chose to be with the man you are with.

Spanking is a cop out. It's a way to avoid parenting children and it's a way to take out aggression. It's also ABUSE.

So people, next time you get the urge to "spank" your kids, go find a puppy or a kitten and smack them around -- I'm sure they deserve it too!

next: Obscenity Appears on Yearbook Cover
I love Jesus October 15, 2009, 12:01 PM

The Bible is very clear about spanking…”a father who doesn’t spank his child hates him”.

When you leave the Bible (God’s Word) behind, you open yourself up for unnecessary hardship.

God doesn’t approve of outbursts of anger and that’s where parents make mistakes - they spank in anger. Not ok.

But if God is for it; so am I.

You CHOOSE.

Some Guy October 17, 2009, 2:17 PM

I’ll chalk this up to yet another ignorant poster that should have her keyboard taken away. I bet she is a member of peta too.

As many have already said, there is a difference between discipline and abuse. Nothing wrong with spanking and nor is it illegal to do so.

If you are angry, you wait til you are calm to punish your child… they are not dogs, they are not going to forget what they did 5 minutes later.

Jay K October 21, 2009, 11:57 PM

You’re all nuts and need a hobby.

mommyof3 November 5, 2009, 11:29 AM

I do not believe spanking is child abuse if a child does not listen after being told over and over again its ok to pop them..there is a thin line between spanking and abuse and it is a very thin line..if you hit a child with full force that is child abuse but a little pop on the hand or butt is not..aslong as you explain to your child why they are being hit and why they shouldnt do it this way they know…And also aslong as there isnt any bruises to me spanking is fine

aundrea November 15, 2009, 10:43 PM

spanking is not necessary, but it also does not constitute child abuse. compare a child who recieves an infrequent spanking and
a child who is starved so badly that she eats out of other people’s garbage cans, or a child who has been sold as a sex slave for his parents to get drug money? do you think either of these kids would give a damn about a spanking? there are far worse things in the world besides a spanking. why don’t you educate yourself and crusade against a true crime instead of the only kind of abuse your domesticated sheltered mind knows?

Anonymous November 23, 2009, 9:41 AM

Couldnt agree more.

The Doctor November 29, 2009, 8:53 AM

You might as well say its ok to “spank” your husband or wife for doing the wrong thing. Its just a light slap right? No reason to get arrested or anything. After all, they are misbehaving.

Coming from a spanking family, I know that it does affect badly. If there are ways to teach you child without spanking why would you choose to spank. Take the time and have patience.

I dont spank my son and I made that decision because spanking affected me negatively. Why is it that we believe experts about many things but when they give us proof that something we do is bad we all of a sudden start acting like we know better? And just so you know, my cousins get spanked and they are misbehaved, and I dont spank mine and he is well behaved.

Another thing is that even though you may turn out right with spanking you might have emotional problems that you may not realize yourself but others clearly can.

Sorry, but those of you who support it just seem so foolish. And when I see someone spanking their child it just makes them look so much more foolish for wanting to hurt a child.

*sarcastic*Oh wait, I have to go spank my husband for leaving the toilet seat up*sarcastic* Get over your need for power. Just because people have opinions doesnt make them right.

Mommynospank November 29, 2009, 8:56 AM

Its so sad how society today can accept so many bad things as ok now a days. People need to stop making excuses for themselves. You know you only defend it cause you dont want to look bad.

I dont spank my kid.

Sad mommy November 29, 2009, 10:08 AM

What is even more sad is that your children love you even though you hit them. It makes me cry.

chantell December 1, 2009, 11:37 AM

this is stupid if your kids act up beat them its that simple or they will do it again like its okayy i mean dont go abusing them just let them kone what they did was wrong and if they continue to do it then they will be hit

brian December 1, 2009, 6:37 PM

spanking is abuse! the child will get infuriated and wont listen to you!

Michella December 7, 2009, 6:16 AM

Saying that your husband hitting you is the same as spanking is ignorant. Adults hitting adults is purely out of anger. Spanking a child is out of correction. Every child is different and sure, there are some kids who may not require spanking. But there are some who do.

I personally feel like kids and teenagers these days (for the most part) are rude, disrespectful, and do not behave. If I ever even thought about speaking to my parents the way that I see some of my nieces and nephews talking to their parents I would have got my mouth smacked or or butt busted. I was spanked as a child when I needed it and I never did drugs, smoked, drank, got pregnant, or arrested like SO many of today’s kids ARE doing.

Parents are either too scared or too lazy to be PARENTS. They try to hard to be their child’s friend or they don’t want to hurt their feelings. As a parent, it is your JOB to correct your child when they are wrong and sometimes the only thing that works is spanking. There comes a time when taking toys away, grounding, and sitting in time out don’t work and the punishment needs to be something that is going to get their attention.

I am 27 and I have a 6 year old son. He gets spankings when the situation calls for it, not everytime he gets in trouble. We also do time out and taking toys away. No matter what form of punishment we decide to use, we always talk to him afterwards about WHY he was punished and make sure he understands. I think that is KEY to making any punishment work. He is well behaved for the most part (as much as any 6 year old boy is!)

Anonymous December 22, 2009, 11:10 PM

I agree with this story 100%!!! i strongly believe that spanking is child abuse. Kids can be punished in different ways. Laying a hand on a child is wrong… kids dont know better!!! So whoever Anonymous is… its clear to me you spank your kids…. you shouldnt even have those kids. They deserve better parent than you!!!!!

Sam January 26, 2010, 8:13 PM

I agree, you are a moron and I really feel sorry for your kids! Your the mommy that is a ‘best friend’. Are you kidding! I was spanked, bare handed a few times when I was a kid and I think smacked with a wooden spoon and guess what… I never made the same mistake twice. Oh, and when a husband hits his wife your right that is strictly violence - good job. Look at our kids today, they are horrible! Girls aren’t even able to look or act like little girls, they go from toddler to a teenager all before they are 13 years old stripped of their innocence all do to ‘best friend’ mommies - So sad!

mj February 11, 2010, 6:15 PM

I agree with u radical mom!!!! Don’t listen 2 them. Its all they know. I was spanked and now I feel like I’m nothing. I am afraid of getting hurt and I feel as if no one loves me. I always feel ashamed and embarresed now and I cannot live normally. I wish u had been my mom. I love you mommy.

Julie February 21, 2010, 9:24 AM

Non-spanking mom here who was spanked and beaten growing up by my “loving” Christian parents. I think it’s funny that parents conveniently stop hitting their children when they’re older and bigger. I imagine it’s easier to play Power Trip on a defenseless toddler. Also, the opposite of spanking is not begging, bribing, and asking the child to obey. You can be an effective disciplinarian without striking blows or emotional damage, and if you don’t believe you can then the problem is yours - not your child’s. Children are not born to serve us. We bring them into this world against their will, and we owe it to them to teach them how to function in it. If you don’t have the patience, then don’t become a parent. No respectable Jesus-following Christian would ever hit a child. Jesus wouldn’t do that. Also, I find it sad, and predictable, that so many formerly spanked adults are defending their parents. Rape victims blame themselves, too. It’s easier to lash out at others than to admit the people you trusted most in the world took advantage of your vulnerability as a child. When they say, “I turned out fine” I don’t believe them, because even I appear healed - on the surface. My dreams and flashbacks reveal otherwise. Another note to all of you child-hitter defenders: there once was a time when hitting wives was socially and legally acceptable, too. The times have changed/will change again.

Boricua February 22, 2010, 4:06 PM

Spanking is not abuse, HITING, YES.

Boricua February 22, 2010, 4:09 PM

You problably do not like if you husband punch you, but I bet you like when he spank you. Can you tell the difference now?

josh 1 March 4, 2010, 12:42 PM

You neeed to understand the definition of corporal punishment. I feel sorry for you and your child for having parents that didnt use corporal punishment. You might not have needed it but there are children out there that are not responsive to verbal or non physical types of discipline. You are equating good, reponsible parents with harmful, negligant parents. In a study done over a direct comparison over children who were exposed to corporal punishment and those who were not, the children who had been spanked should a greater respect of authority, and were more competent. Your lack of knowledge would explain why you would correlate corporal punishment and child abuse. You will take away parents rights if people like you decide that there should be a ban on corporal punishment. i was spanked and i know exactly why; it was so i didnt leave my house and be punished by the real world. But then again its people like you that walk around and say ” lifes not fair” whereas i say “tough luck, get over it.” If you allow the states and government the right to decide what types of punishments parents areallowed to use, just be ready for anytypes of punishments to be taken away as well. Because there are arguments that time out and yelling and neglect typesof discipline are equally harmful!

What the Kid thinks March 21, 2010, 6:30 PM

I couldn’t agree with you more Radical Mommy. My viewpoint is going to be a little different than most here because I’m not a parent but a 17 year old. I most definitly catagorize spanking as abuse. It dosn’t matter whether you have good intentions or not hitting someone because your angry with them is not okay. Looking back I can now see that eventhough I had wonderful parents with only the best intentions they were both physically and emotionally abusive. Yes I may be down to earth and aware of pain but I’m also suffering from anxiety and depression.
When you hit a child you are essentially teaching them that it’s okay to hit people when your angry with them. So you hit us when we do things that annoy you but its not okay for us to hit our siblings when they annoy us? Think about it. Its illegal to hit adults, teens, and animals, so why is it okay to hit children?
Parents and educators drill into us that hitting is not okay, so why is it okay for parents to hit their kids. Yes it is a personal choice, but it’s not the only option. Would you rather have a child that respects or fears you?