Stroller Envy

Christina Montoya Fiedler: So, I'm in the market for a new stroller, but I had no idea it would be the equivalent of buying a new car -- the makes, the models, and then, the price. Call me naïve, but I also had NO clue that some of them could cost upwards of $1,200.

woman jealous of a stroller

That's a good portion of our rent, several months of groceries, a few months' worth of gas, or cases of diapers. I could go on. I'm sure you could too.

Our first stroller was under $250. We treat it like hell. It's been barfed on, peed on, pooped on, banged up, bumped, and bruised, and dropped down a flight of stairs. It's flown on various airplane trips in the belly of a 747. If I had a $1,200 stroller, I might buy it a plane ticket. You've seen the way the guys at JFK handle your luggage.

But again, I don't even know where to start. Living in L.A., my baby rides in the stroller equivalent of a Pinto, given that most mamas in my neighborhood sport Bugaboos and Stokkes. But that makes sense, since I am outfitted by Target, and they all look like Burberry and BCBG sponsor them.

Take a look at the Bugaboo website if you don't believe me. Words like "suspension," "easy handling," and "base navigation" are all in the description of the 2009 models. I'm not even sure what base navigation is, but I hope I qualify for a good monthly payment plan.

Being the practical mom that I am, I even took a peek at tandem strollers. Hey, a second little bundle is inevitable. But if you're looking at the high-end strollers, there aren't any tandems. Apparently, upper-echelon moms only have one kid at a time. Good for them.

I fondly remember shopping for our first stroller. We were new, young parents without a clue, venturing into the halls of the nearest Babies R Us -- a frightening experience in and of itself. We looked at each stroller and here is how we chose our current model. If my husband and I could figure out how to open and close it without reading the directions and without cursing or sweating, we were going to get it. That only left us one option -- the stroller we now own.

So, here's to hoping that the next buying venture goes half as well.

next: Casting the Simpsons
Shannon June 10, 2009, 9:53 AM

Lmao! When I was pregnant with our son last summer we went to a baby expo where you could try out all kinds of different products. We bought a chicco travel system in (the one in red fabric) based on the fact that the carseat was supposed to be the safest. Oh and the fact that the guy trying to pitch the carseat to us chunked it into it’s base and it locked in from across the way! Plus I like red. But I still have stroller envy. I’ve always wanted the maclarean umbrella stroller but don’t want to fork over the cash. On the bright side they’re a new chicco umbrella stroller (blue) that I think we might get since it’s cheaper.

mom3 June 10, 2009, 10:14 AM

the only reason I want to have another baby is for the stroller I could get if I do!

Melissa June 10, 2009, 11:42 AM

I think it’s silly to worry about such a thing. A stroller is a stroller - as long as it’s safe what does it matter. Why would you throw down that much - or be envious of those who do? The parents probably aren’t even pushing it - it’s the nanny while they’re waiting for the “mom” to get a pedicure.

Secret Mommy June 10, 2009, 11:53 AM

When preggie with my son, I had stroller envy (I worked in a super classy part of town and saw trendy moms whisking their babies around in the uber-best) read bad. My hubby sort of gave in and let me have a mid-upper-end stroller (an Uppababy Vista) that I like, but don’t love. Now that I’m pregnant again, I plan to babywear almost entirely until baby can just use a cheap old umbrella stroller. Oh, okay, or maybe a MacLaren umbrella if I can get him to give in a little again… ;)

excitedmomma June 10, 2009, 1:01 PM

When we found out we were pregnant, we went out and bought the Quinny, but we got last years model with the car seat and only spent about $100 more then the Target and babies r us convertible ones…and it’s super easy to take down and put up. Now, all we have to do is wait till the little man is born

Melissa June 10, 2009, 1:27 PM

Maybe I’m a bit outdated today, but for my money the Pacifica $169 (discontinued) was the buggy of the century. I’m an off roader not your chic casual, so all teh suspension, towing, coverage, space made my life heaven. I could put 3 bags of groceries and walk to the store. I still own it and keep it for going to the beach to carry our stuff on the sand. The large bike tires make sand dunes easy work.

Melissa D. Nourigat June 10, 2009, 1:40 PM

Any buggy that can hold a car seat safely is the best bet for your $$. Graco was an awesome set for under $220.

SharkyMomma June 10, 2009, 1:44 PM

I wouldn’t mind spending a little bit more if I could just find a practical stroller, in a color I love, that folds down SMALL and can carry a hefty 4 year old (hey, even Preschoolers get tired of walking sometimes!). Until my little guy was 2 he was carried in a MeiTei baby sling and let me tell you, I loved the work out ;-) But now I want a stroller big enough for him to use while at the parks (theme parks that is) other than those nasty plastic ones they rent.

Anonymous June 10, 2009, 2:23 PM

what’s BCBG?

Anonymous June 10, 2009, 3:00 PM

BCBG is a women’s clothing line by Max Azria

Anonymous June 10, 2009, 3:01 PM

BCBG is a womens clothing line.

Monica June 10, 2009, 5:19 PM

I totally understand the whole wanting to buy your stroller a ticket on the plane. Our first trip with our son on the plane. Thank goodness it was when we got home. When we got our stroller back it looked as if someone jammed it into the cargo area with their foot. The wheels on one side where bent to the point that after we got it up we couldn’t fold it again. It didn’t drive straight. Parts and pieces had fallen off that we couldn’t put back on. We immediately stormed down and demanded our money. They told us that if we bought a new stroller they would reimburse us our money. I was a little upset about the whole thing because it was a stroller set with the matching car seat that was given to us by my MIL. But when we got our new stroller which was easy to fold in a snap unlike the other model of Graco we fell in love. And so now we hope to keep this mini jeep stroller with the SUV wheels for the next baby. Its big but it can conquer any side walk, hill or gravel. And I bought it for like 200 at Burlington Coat Factory’s Baby Depot. Who needs a 1200 stroller? I don’t.

sarah June 10, 2009, 5:20 PM

I’ve seen some of these pricey strollers. Some of them don’t have much storage room. I guess the word ‘practical’ is not in their vocabulary. Picking out a stroller seems to be as stressful as buying a car or a mattress. It took me 4 months to pick out a mattress and 6 months to pick out a car!

mom of 3  June 10, 2009, 6:00 PM

we just got a double stoller for our 2 little ones and i don’t love it but it works. it was about 160.00 there is a high end double stoller that i loved its made by BOB. They look very nice and they run from 400 and up i belive try them its better than the 1200.00.

Christina Montoya Fiedler June 10, 2009, 6:04 PM

Mom of 3, what is the brand name and model of the double stroller you have now? Why dont you like it?

mercaties@msn.com June 10, 2009, 8:50 PM

Any mom who pay’s upwards of 1,200 for a stroller is simply just showing off. Personally I got mine at a consignment shop for 65.00 and when I looked it up online it retails for about 180.00.

Lizzie June 11, 2009, 1:17 PM

Don’t forget to keep grandma in mind when buying that stroller. It’s ease of use and basic safety features that are important. Staus symbol…. not high on my list.

Mom to 2 June 11, 2009, 9:03 PM

Wow, if you guys actually ever drove something other than a cheapy you would know why parents shell out the extra cash for their babies to ride comfortably. And BTW it can be harmful for an infant to ride for more than 20 minutes in those infant carseats. Y’all should do your research or call a baby planner so you can get educated before you buy.

mercaties June 13, 2009, 4:55 AM

Wow! could you sound anymore snobby!! Why don’t you take you snooty comments elsewhere and go hang out with your baby planner.

Anonymous June 13, 2009, 12:34 PM

Harmful after 20 minutes in a carseat? Give me a break. If it was HARMFUL, they wouldn’t be allowed to be made, sold and used.
Sorry, but I’ve NEVER had stroller envy. I have a USED Graco travel system that someone gave me and a $20 umbrella stroller. My son loves both and is comfy and happy every time he’s in them. My CAR isn’t even worth $1200, and my monthly rent is $800… so there’s no way I could even think about expensive strollers if I wanted to - and I don’t!