Teenager Trapped in Baby's Body

Since she was born, 16-year-old Brooke Greenberg has barely grown beyond the size of a toddler.

brooke-baby.jpg

If you've ever secretly longed for your baby or toddler to stay tiny forever -- be careful what you wish for. That dream of perpetual youth is a reality for the Greenberg family of Baltimore. Their daughter, Brooke, weighs 16 pounds and is barely 30 inches tall -- yet she was born in 1993. While other girls her age are celebrating their sweet 16 or attending school, Brooke, who suffers from a mysterious malady that no one to date has been able to diagnosis, only communicates through childlike babbling.

"There've been very minimal changes in Brooke's brain," Dr. Richard Walker of the University of South Florida College of Medicine told ABCnews. "Various parts of her body, rather than all being at the same stage, seem to be disconnected." Yet, the teenager has never been diagnosed with a genetic syndrome or abnormal chromosomes.

Brooke's family seems to take her condition in stride. Her father, Howard Greenberg, says, "Brooke is the nucleus of our family. What if Brooke holds the secret to aging? We'd like to find out. We'd like to help people. Everybody's here for a reason. Maybe this is why Brooke is here."

next: The New Eugenics
Gigohead  June 24, 2009, 4:56 PM

What a nightmare! I would not want a baby for such a long time. I take great pride in how my son, now 15 has grown into a young man. Every parent would like to keep their babies, but there is a reason babies grow up, to go on as adults and eventually bring the next generation along and so on.

Anonymous June 24, 2009, 5:54 PM

I’m sorry, but this article needs some serious help. I can’t imagine why anyone, yet alone someone who is supposed to writing a news story, would add the following information: “

“There is one slight advantage: Brooke doesn’t outgrow clothes the way most kids do — she can still wear the same outfits she’s been wearing for almost 16 years.”

The information was editorial in nature and added nothing to the story (other than the writer’s complete ignorance of and insensitivity to the plight of this family).

Again, the demise of real journalism hits the Internet.

Just Sayin' June 24, 2009, 6:08 PM

Anonymous - I totally agree with you…this is not a ‘news’ story, this is a National Enquirer story. Now, if they could give us actual facts and/or reasons/research this article would be more than just snide gossip about a young lady with a severe handicap.

Mel June 24, 2009, 6:50 PM

That is so sad what is going to happen to this girl when the parents are to old to care for her or when they are no longer here. Does she get put up for adoption when shes actually a grown adult? Very confusing.

Nik June 24, 2009, 7:59 PM

I agree with anonymous and just sayin- not only is this horribly written but it doesn’t make sense- “While other girls her age are celebrating their sweet 16 and attending junior high” how many 16 year olds do you know in Junior High???? Rediculous!

Rag June 24, 2009, 11:33 PM

Wow I just watched The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button over the weekend and thought something like that was impossible. But now reading this story I don’t know anymore.

P June 30, 2009, 6:15 AM

I saw this family on TV and I couldn’t believe my eyes. I give them alot of credit, it must be so hard on the family. I grew up with a handicap brother and it was not easy but I give my parents all the credit in the world and for all of those who care for a special needs child. Bless this family and all those with a handicap child.

wolf June 30, 2009, 7:47 AM

I know how Ridculous is spelled.
Real or not this story is poorly written and real or not it does pull at the heart strings.

BANMAN June 30, 2009, 8:07 AM

I HAVE READ THIS ARTICLE SEVERAL TIMES AND CANNOT FIND WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT WITH THEM SAYING SHE CAN WEAR THE SAME CLOTHES ??????? AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE ? ARE WE READING THE SAME ARRTICLE ?

SELENA June 30, 2009, 8:24 AM

Thats incredible! I’d like to be look & feel 20 forever!
I wonder how is the family coping with this.Surely the Mom must be devasted that her daughter will never out grow Barbie!But then I suppose its a good & bad thing,because look at the things teens are doing now! Either way,I pray that GOD will bless this family.

Anonymous June 30, 2009, 8:43 AM

Wolf, just to let you know, it’s spelled Ridiculous! And I think this is so sad, but manageable too. Things happen to people for reasons. I’m sorry for this girl but I’m glad she’s not just like everyone else too. I hope the family (if they are reading this or not) can see it that way too.

cathy June 30, 2009, 8:44 AM

This is like the opposite of progeria!
This story is fathomless!

kathy June 30, 2009, 9:13 AM

This is not news. Many severely mentally impaired children remain small and childlike in stature throughout their lives.

Phil June 30, 2009, 9:40 AM

She may live forever , too bad she wasn’t stuck in a sixteen year olds body , she’d have it made .

idk June 30, 2009, 9:44 AM

I dont think that the problem is that she is small. The issue is that she is not abe to communicate like a 16 year old. Is she the baby in the pic or the girl that looks 4. I could not imagin how this family mustfeel. Bless them. I have a 1 1/2 and I can not imagine him being that age forever. Diapers? what does she eat? I understand she can not verbalize but is she independent at all? Can she walk? This topic is nothing to be brief about… good content but the story is not long enough

idk June 30, 2009, 9:44 AM

waffler June 30, 2009, 9:49 AM

It’s like she got bit by a vampire as a baby, and now she never ages.

Dayna June 30, 2009, 9:54 AM

TO the poster who “takes great pride” in watching your 15 year old son grow, yeah, honey this isn’t about you. No one cares about you and your kid. Read the story, you nitwit.

me June 30, 2009, 9:58 AM

This story is really sad!! but i don’t really understand some of the comments. I read them and go back to the article and wonder where it says that. For example, Nik said that the article says ‘while other 16 year olds are celebrating their sweet swixteen and attending jonior high’ where as the article says ‘…sweet sixteen or attending school’. There was more also but I’m wondering where these sentences are because I don’t see them!

Sean June 30, 2009, 9:58 AM

the article has been eddited and alot of the things metioned have been taken out. thats the “beauty” of internet reporting