Candy Spelling: Wishes for Michael Jackson

Candy Spelling: I can't stop thinking about Michael Jackson and his children. We know so little about their lives together. I'd like to think they had a great life when they were in private. I'd prefer to imagine they were like other American families who have 12, 11, and seven-year-olds, learning and enjoying things together, alternating between video games, their computers, iPods, texting, and television, competing for their dads' time, and not quite understanding what their father did for a living.

candy spelling michael jackson with his kid

Of course, only a few other families can come close to experiencing what life is like to have the cameras and onlookers and made-up scenarios and stories as facts of life. And Michael was a man for whom words like "superstar" and "celebrity" and "icon" don't do justice. And, just as Michael was so delicate, he never mastered that delicate balance of his shyness and celebrity, assignments only the Pitt-Jolies, Madonna, or the Obamas could ever begin to imagine.

I knew about Michael's sweetness. He and my late husband almost made a movie together, but it didn't materialize. Michael told us he liked Aaron's "The Love Boat" because every show ended with not one, but three happy endings. He liked "The Mod Squad" because good won out, even if the victory came in unconventional ways. He liked the title, "Fantasy Island," and thought he'd find his own some day.

If "Fantasy Island" were still around, I'd go there in a second today and ask for three wishes for Michael and his family:

1. That Michael could see the world's response to his passing.
I don't think he had any idea that other people knew his impact on the world and our cultures. He certainly didn't know how much people loved him.

2. That I could have been there the first time Michael played "Heal the World" for his own children. He wrote the song five years before his first son was born, but I hope and pray they all heard his words, including the following, in their father's presence:

Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me and the entire human race.
And the dream we were conceived in
Will reveal a joyful face
And the world we once believed in
Will shine again in grace.

3. And finally, I wish Michael's children could have been at the recording of "We Are the World" in 1985. I will never forget the experience of hearing the song for the first time and then seeing the video. That song changed the world. I hope his children know it. We should also remember and honor what Michael and Lionel Richie wrote:

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me.

"Fantasy Island" was my husband's show, so I'm going to ask for a fourth wish, too. I hope you'll read the lyrics or listen to "Heal the World" and "We Are the World" and share the messages with your own children.

That's what Michael's legacy can be.

next: Does This Salad Induce Labor?!
Barb June 30, 2009, 3:06 PM

Those poor kids. Thanks for putting this into perspective.

A.B.Neitz June 30, 2009, 3:39 PM

The power of music. It does transcend everything. With all the darkness that surrounded the “King of Pop” his great gift was his music. With the tornado of controversy that is swirling around his life, his family and children, perhaps the ones truly close to him will find the calm not just in the eye of the storm but it’s aftermath. And “Heal the World” will do just that. We cannot forget that his children knew him in ways we never will and I agree with Candy. For them the press are just words in black and white may they remember the bright colors of happy memories they shared in their world with him. Kudos Candy for a positive word.

A.B.Neitz June 30, 2009, 3:40 PM

Eileen June 30, 2009, 3:48 PM

Not a time for hating, Abbi. Maybe listen to some music?

On a better note, HEAL THE WORLD was my favorite song, too.

Renee June 30, 2009, 6:43 PM

We Are the World was one of the greatest songs of all time. Michael had so much love inside him and expressed it through his music. Those three children are so blessed to have had him as a father, even if only for such a short time. I hope those wishes are granted.

Raven June 30, 2009, 7:33 PM

Eileen? It’s NEVER ‘a time for hating’…..& somebody forgot to tell this to Candy Spelling! She’s one of the biggerst haters AND hypocrites around!! Especially in this writing! SHE has the audacity to write THIS, when in fact,the entire world is privvy to how she MIStreats her daughter & the lack of relationship with her own grandchildren simply because of who their Mama is!wtf is this crap at the bottom,her ‘credits’??She added proud gramma to her list of acheivements?Holy crap!Talk about delusional!SHE should not just rethink the words of those songs & chime about MJs kids,she should apply these fakeass sentiments to her own attitudes regarding her family!Just ANOTHER one of her blatant USING her marriage to Aaron Spelling as a means to blah-g & try to appear human.It’s time she STOP living vicariously through her deceased hubby!Oops,looks like I ‘hater-ed’.HA!Nothing like that public rant of saying Tori killed her father!!!

sam June 30, 2009, 8:21 PM

Those songs were so meaningful when I was growing up. I, too, wish his children get to feel the love he conveyed to the world when everyone needed these messages so much.

Amber June 30, 2009, 9:05 PM

Too bad all the positivity that Candy intended and that Michael’s music conveyed has been lost on some.

May Michael rest in peace and the rest of us learn to live in peace.

Anonymous July 1, 2009, 1:17 AM

when did candy spelling become an expert?

Michelle July 1, 2009, 12:53 PM

She knew Michael and feels for his children and expresses it. Sounds like more of an expert than most.

Tedi July 1, 2009, 2:18 PM

Don’t know if this is the right place but I don’t think it’s fair that Candy is judged on what her spoiled daughter says to make money.

Sonya Martin July 7, 2009, 9:45 PM

I loved Michael Jackson very dearly. We will always listen to his songs, he went down in history. I wish the best for his family.
I believed that you were a good person, really.
Rest in peace.

Janie July 15, 2009, 5:18 AM

Why is Candy Spelling blogging on a site about mothers? One out of two kids hate her. Two out of two grand kids don’t know her.

Paiit July 15, 2009, 10:02 AM

Candy,
Please listen to your self. Preaching about teaching your children to “heal the world” when you don’t even heal your relationship with your own daughter. How Ironic!!! Anyways as a grandma 0f 4 beautiful grandchildren, I would not let stupid pride or anything else keep me from having my relationships with them. Wake up Girlfriend… They are a lifes treasure that YOU are denying Yourself from enjoying. Do what ever it takes.

Patti July 15, 2009, 10:08 AM

Candy,
Please listen to your self. Preaching about teaching your children to “heal the world” when you don’t even heal your relationship with your own daughter. How Ironic!!! Anyways as a grandma 0f 4 beautiful grandchildren, I would not let stupid pride or anything else keep me from having my relationships with them. Wake up Girlfriend… They are a lifes treasure that YOU are denying Yourself from enjoying.Do whatever it takes. I would .

tashie August 5, 2009, 10:13 PM

I Think a Mother should love her child Unconditionaly! no matter what….. the tribe an tribulations is love thy Child! i love my Daughter such a beautiful Girl i carried 9months i could never hate like that!