My Sisters All Want the Same Baby Name!

I have a few months to figure out a baby name, and up until this point, there's only one name my husband and I agree on. The problem? Both my sisters want the name too ...

newborn baby

Momlogic's Talitha: Seven and a half months pregnant and without a name for my little girl, my husband and I recently came up with just ONE name we both agree on. Up until that point, every other name I've brought up has caused the following reactions from him: "That's cute ... for a chocolate lab," "What?? Are you trying to outdo Gwyneth Paltrow?" and "No, my daughter will not be called that." So I was thrilled when I threw a name out there and he finally said, "Hmm. I like it!" Then this:

At a family dinner recently, my mother asked if we had chosen a name. Since we decided not to share until the baby was born, we said, "Not yet, we have a few things in mind but haven't decided." To which my little sister responded, "OH, well, when I have kids, in five or ten years, my babies' names will be ..." and she named the ONE name my husband and I love. Crap.

"OMG, that is too funny, because that's actually the name we love!" I said to her, out of desperation. "Well, you can't have it," she said, "I just claimed it!" Then, my older sister chimed in, "Hey, that's not fair, I've wanted that name for ten years!" This from my older sister, a woman who is leaning more towards not having kids at all!

Am I supposed to "reserve" the name until my little sister gets pregnant and she decides, in "five or ten years," she still wants this same name? Do I have to give my older sister the benefit of the doubt that she'll actually decide to have a kid and use that name?

I am the one giving birth to the family's first grandchild. Shouldn't I get first dibs on the name?

Help!

next: Amanda Knox Takes Stand for Second Day
ashley June 13, 2009, 8:42 AM

Take the name!! you’re the pregnant one!! You and your husband have agreed on a name, that is so hard that you shouldn’t have to do it again just because your sister’s MIGHT have kids and MIGHT want to name them that. My husband went back and forth over a name for our daughter. When my parents came to visit, I was about 34 weeks and we didn’t know what we were having, when my dad walked in he said “If it’s a girl you should name her Sophia.” I didn’t really like it. Then a week later we found out she was a girl so we went through the books and made the lists. At the last minute we decided on Sophia. It was the only one that really stuck out. Now,she just turned 2 and I can’t imagine her by any other name. My husband wanted to name her taylor and I liked Julia. I am so glad we didn’t name her any of those. She’s my SophieKat!! (Her middle name is Kathryn, after my hubby’s grandma) Anyhow, IF THAT IS THE NAME YOU WANT FOR YOUR BABY, TAKE IT!!

Daryl June 13, 2009, 8:50 AM

It’s yours…tell your sister’s it was luck of the draw…if they had been pregnant first, they could have used it. Plus, whose to say they won’t change their mind when/if they get pregnant

Kelly June 13, 2009, 9:05 AM

OMG Whats the name…? LOL I think you should take the name, I’m sure your sisters will find different names for their children, plus you’re already pregnant, the name is ready to be used. Afterall, your child will be their niece, who I’m sure will be the center of attention for a while, that name will still belong to someone precious in their life.

Mom2two June 13, 2009, 9:45 AM

The name is yours…DEFINATELY! I ALWAYS wanted to name my daughter Meaghan, for many, many years. As time went on that name became quite popular so it lost its appeal. My first born (a girl) is named Mckenna. 5 or 10 years down the road your sister(s) may not like the name when you could have already had a child named that. Don’t give up a name both you and your husband like and agreed on for a “maybe” situation. It’s all about the here and now.

Anonymous June 13, 2009, 10:29 AM

Take it. They aren’t even close to having kids and by the time they do, they’ll either have something else they like much better, or they’ll get over it before that. Either way, go for it!

Char June 13, 2009, 12:05 PM

You like the name, use it. Your sister does not have exclusive rights to it.

the voice of reason June 13, 2009, 2:40 PM

Um..how old are you and your older sister that you’re still having childish arguments? This shouldn’t even be an issue of asking if you are the only one currently pregnant.

JuJu June 13, 2009, 3:06 PM

lols..its not like your sisters have copyright the name..you have every right to use whatever name you chose, and who knows if they really have kids in the future..sooo go for it

nicci June 13, 2009, 4:41 PM

i would use it. lucky you for being pregnant first.

Jill (the other one) June 13, 2009, 7:12 PM

First to have a baby gets first dibs on a name. It’s yours.

leelee June 13, 2009, 7:35 PM

Your sister’s mate might not even like the name for his child. You get to use what you and your husband like, and she will get over it. If she doesn’t she’ll be the one losing out on her nieces life.

ame i. June 13, 2009, 7:47 PM

If you love the name, us it. You are the one having a baby soon. It may turn out that your sister never gets pregnant or has several kids of the gender for which the name will not work. If your sister just can’t let go of the name, she can always chose a different middle name for her child or use the favored name as a middle name.
In the years after I was born, several people in the town I was born “copied” by first & middle name and a couple of parents even used the same spelling my children choosed.
I chose a name for my younger daughter that was a boy’s name until the last couple of years and spelled it the same as the “boy” version with the exception of one letter.
A few months later, I began to see birth announcements in the newspaper using my spelling for the first and middle names of daughter the second.
Imitation = flattery or some parents are too lazy to pick out a name.

merry June 13, 2009, 10:34 PM

Go ahead and take the name now. The thing is, if your sisters like the name so much five ten years from now, then they are welcome to name their child with the same name…it’s not like you own the name. So just name your baby whatever you like. The future is up to them, when and if, they have children.

b June 13, 2009, 11:32 PM

they can still have that name…it’s not like they will all have the same last name. or if it’s a name that can have different nicknames, then they can all go by various forms.

Gail Cooke June 14, 2009, 12:18 AM

First come, first serve…you’re sisters should be out of luck!

TTC baby#2 June 14, 2009, 12:21 AM

#1- You’re the one pregnant, she’s not!
#2- What if she never has a girl, then you lost your chance!
#3- She should feel HONORED that you both like the name so much…that you would actually use it to name your daughter!! She sounds like a brat to me!

RachelAZ June 14, 2009, 1:20 AM

Use it! You are the pregnant one, NOT them. They’ll just have to find a different name (if they ever have kids!). They have no “rights” to a name, especially if they aren’t having kids right now!

Elizabeth June 14, 2009, 11:01 AM

There is absolutely no question of ‘first dibs’. It doesn’t matter if your sister says she’s been thinking about that name ‘among others’. For you it is THE only name you want. Clearly she has other choices, and I agree with others here: YOU are the only pregnant one. Your decision to name your child as you please is NO ONE else’s business, sisters or not. What if you’d never had that conversation? You’d have gone ahead and named your daughter your name of choice while being blissfully ignorant of your sisters’ ‘future’ wishes. What would they have done then? Yelled out that you’re ‘not allowed, the name’s spoken for’? See how silly this is? They’re being woefully ignorant of how real life works. I find it especially annoying that instead of being supportive they’re giving grief to a 7-l/2 month pregnant woman who’s their sister to boot! There seems to be a good amount of jealousy over your pregnancy involved here. Each should have laughed it off while graciously conceding that you’re the first one having a baby girl ergo entitled to use of the name (that’s what adults do). If your parents are alive/still around, you might suggest to them that they explain this to your sisters. Relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. :)

Anonymous June 14, 2009, 3:00 PM

I was seven months pregnant and my family member was two months. We both liked the same name. So great, we both used it. Big deal. The cousins are together at every family function and they both have the same name. It’s never been a problem and everyone is happy.

jess June 14, 2009, 10:12 PM

My aunts were both pregnant at the same time, and they both wanted their grandmother’s name for the baby, and one found out she was having a boy via ultrasound, and the other was having a girl. So they decided the one having a girl could take the name when her daughter was born. Well, the other aunt had her baby a week later and it wasn’t a boy it was a girl! and she took the name too! So both my cousins have the same first name