Babies on Bikes Without Helmets

Here in the U.S., taking our kids on a bike ride means helmets and restraints, while in Amsterdam, toddlers are cruising along bareheaded on Mom's handlebars.

bigbike.jpg

Momlogic's Momstrosity: I just got back from a trip to Amsterdam, where I saw the most amazing thing. No, it wasn't the Rembrandt collection at the Rijksmuseum, or the sobering tour of Anne Frank's house, it was the sight of bareheaded children and even infants riding around on bikes with their parents. Not only were towheaded Dutch kids helmet-less, they often rode down the narrow canal streets precariously perched on the handlebars or the back fender of Mom or Dad's bike.

Here in the U.S., I know parents who wouldn't dare take their very young children on a bike even WITH a helmet. They're just too scared. It's true that riding in the States is way more dangerous than in Amsterdam, a city where bikes have the right-of-way ahead of cars, and there are 600,000 bikes for the 750,000 residents. But Amsterdam isn't devoid of cars, buses, and trams. Plus, it has the added danger of multitudes of stoned tourists who've ordered a hash brownie -- just because they can't believe it's actually legal -- and wandered out into the streets.

Do the Dutch know something we don't?

next: Ed Hardy Designer Not Starting a Kids' Line with Jon Gosselin
hillary July 14, 2009, 12:03 PM

who cares! it seems like europe is care-free (or at least less carefull) like the US used to be about 30 years or so ago. They know how to have fun like we should! There are much bigger problems than not wearing helmets imo. We could learn a lot from them over hear- everything is lawsuits and people being worried about lawsuits.

redmum July 14, 2009, 12:08 PM

Amsterdam is a bike friendly city, in fact that statement doesn’t go far enough to describe it.

The last time I was there it was more dangerous being a pedestrian.

Uly July 14, 2009, 12:13 PM

Neither of those pictures shows children on the handlebars. Instead, they show children on *seats* that are in front of the rider - which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

clumsymom July 14, 2009, 3:16 PM

I actually DROPPED my bike with my 2 yr old son strapped into his carrier. Still remember the sound of his helmet hitting the concrete.

Seventeen years later, he is a healthy, active young adult. We still tease him about being dropped on his head…

hartleyrg July 15, 2009, 1:53 AM

It would be fun to be able to have that carefree lifestyle. But I’m too paranoid to do that.

Jon September 21, 2009, 5:09 PM

Weed isn’t legal in amsterdam - do some research ;-)

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 4:45 PM

As a fellow professional inside fashion market, I discovered your site to be informative.

Cure Hemorrhoids November 27, 2010, 8:21 PM

Fine website. Thank you, I look forward to reading more of your posts.

apartments marbella December 10, 2010, 5:01 AM

Fine information. Thanks, have a good day!

Credit Card Processing December 24, 2010, 10:24 PM

I’ve constantly been in appreciate with fashion all my life so I’ve developed a forum for market specialists to come collectively and discuss all things fashion. Again, thank you for writing this write-up.

Denice Schoeck January 19, 2011, 12:59 AM

Excellent info. Nice piece of info, finally a decent website with good information in it.

Michaele Delreal January 21, 2011, 11:30 AM

Lovely post, props to you for making the effort to put your ideas down

Claude Helfert January 21, 2011, 9:24 PM

Great ideas, thanks are in order for taking the time to put your ideas down

Sharyl Barratt January 22, 2011, 5:19 AM

Lovely piece, many thanks for having the initiave to put your ideas down

Roberto Hudack January 22, 2011, 7:35 AM

smashing the nail on the head!

Rina Satterwhite January 24, 2011, 8:38 AM

I cant say Im in complete accordance, many thanks for having the initiave to come up with it

cheap mini blinds January 27, 2011, 9:36 PM

Hello Way cool info, will have to try it. By the way, the link is broke. Can you please help? Thanks again for taking the time to put this online. I unquestionably loved every part of it.

guinea pigs for sale in michigan February 13, 2011, 5:06 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

Marian Gaynor March 12, 2011, 8:08 PM

Could you email me and tell me few more things about this, I am really fan of your site! recently subscribed to your feed. Would you be be open to exchanging site roll Thanks again for taking the time to put this up. I definitely loved every bit of it.

Filomena Montminy March 16, 2011, 12:27 PM

This domain seems to get a good ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It offers a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to say is the most important factor.