Baby Left Inside Hot Car Dies in Vero Beach

WPTX: An autopsy is scheduled Friday for a 5-month old male infant found dead inside a hot SUV Thursday evening, said Vero Beach Police spokesman John Morrison.

16_kids_dead_in_2_months270.jpg
Gannon Werking died Thursday after his mother, Stephanie Werking of Sebastian, left him inside a parked vehicle, according to a police department news release.

About 5 p.m. Thursday, a passerby called 911 when he saw a woman "screaming hysterically" in the parking lot of First United Bank at 17th Street and Indian River Boulevard, Morrison said.

"The child was obviously deceased at the scene," he said, adding the cardiopulmonary resuscitation was not performed on the infant.

The mother arrived at work about 8:30 a.m. Thursday and discovered the child in the back seat of a gray Ford Edge about 5 p.m., police said.

Morrison said the mother worked inside the building, which houses other businesses in addition to the bank. He did not release which business employed her. Werking has not been charged as of Thursday evening.

The National Weather Service in Melbourne reports Vero Beach had a high temperature of 90 degrees Thursday, making temperatures inside the SUV from 135 degrees to 140 degrees, said meteorologist Jan Null, who researches hyperthermia deaths in children .

Read more hot stories Moms Are Talking About.

next: Jon Wants Friendship with Kate
Anonymous July 26, 2009, 11:49 AM

How can you forget your own child in a car?

Maria July 26, 2009, 4:27 PM

So so so sad. Poor little guy.

Jen July 26, 2009, 8:08 PM

Oh my gosh, my heart aches for this family. Forgetting the baby in the car has happened to a number of people, which I can’t imagine doing… But trying to put myself in their shoes, getting out of work and noticing that the baby was left in the car… the thought is unfathomble. This is such a tragic, tragic mistake

Inexcusable July 27, 2009, 1:15 AM

I am so angry about this inexcusable event, I will stop writing here.

T July 27, 2009, 12:29 PM

Don’t judge her like that - I know her, she is a sweet, loving, funny lady, and loves her children deeply. Doesn’t the “screaming hysterically” comment in the article evoke any sympathy in you? I guarantee she is suffering far worse than anything we can imagine.

Anonymous July 29, 2009, 3:28 PM

It happens too often. Life is so chaotic and so fast that the least little thing can throw us off and when we deviate from our routine, we can forget that our babies are still in the car. I know her mother… they loved this baby just as much as anyone loves their kids and she’s hurting so bad.

gatorone September 13, 2009, 9:52 AM

She’s suffering so much she is going to be doing interview for the sympathy vote obviously. From the clip on NBC news months later she looks pretty healthy!