Infantino WTF?

Mary Poppins: I'm judging you. You are walking around with this thing around your neck and carrying your kid around like a sack of potatoes.

At first, I was confused; I thought maybe it was like a new backpack sling deal, a modification of the European satchel, if you will. Then I realized that you had a baby in there! A very young baby, like weeks old!

infantino baby carrier

My first question is, how does he breathe?! I mean, you cannot even see his face unless you pull open the two sides, which you did occasionally. So seriously, I ask, on behalf of the many other Urban Outfitters customers that saw you: is your child getting enough air?!?

My second question is: does this support your child? I am assuming that, as the parent, you researched and looked into this "baby carrier," but you are not even using your arms to support him! He is just in this sack, hanging around your neck, while you sort through racks of clothes. Again, please note the concerned stares of others around you.

Finally, I would like to know if this thing doubles as a cart, because you are currently laying your clothes over this sling, and consequently over your baby. I mean, yes, the dress is cute, but couldn't you hold it with the hands that are not currently supporting your child? You have to know by now that EVERYONE in the dress section is staring at and whispering about you!

I get that maybe a stroller is a pain when you are going shopping and need to fit into small spaces, but THIS is a better option? Are you kidding me? Go pick up a Baby Bjorn or something like that, where your kid is at least supported and you can see him.

Am I the only one who has seen this monstrosity in use?

next: Jon Gosselin Shows Off New Girlfriend in St. Tropez
Stephanie July 13, 2009, 7:19 AM

No my dear, you aren’t the only one.

However, there are lots of women the world over who swear by their slings, me being one of them. Slings are wonderful for new babies, they keep baby close to mommies body, which is where baby has been for the last nine months. My daughter lived in her sling for the first four months of her life, and is a happy, fat and thriving little ten month old today. And to top it off, they are way better for teeny babies than the Bjorn (keeps them “womb shaped” and feeling safer than an exposed open posture), or a stroller (too far away from the sound of mommies heartbeat).

Judge not my dear, lest you be judged :)

just saying July 13, 2009, 7:24 AM

I got this sling as a baby gift and once I had my child in it, I felt the same way. But, I got a different sling and the babe LOVED it and he was able to get adequate oxygen…besides the model that is pictured was recalled and I had to send mine back and get a replacement (that is still in the box!)….I like the sling much better than the Bjorn myself…

Barb July 13, 2009, 8:39 AM

Slings are great. My second-born LOVED it as a newborn. They’re made so you don’t have to hold onto baby (though, see the note in the comments above about a recall… I used a different brand). I wouldn’t have draped clothes over my baby, but why are you making a big deal of this? Slings are far from new, and most parents I know have used them at one point or another.

michelle July 13, 2009, 11:12 AM

The reason everyone is staring at her in the dress section at Urban Outfitters is because they’re all 14 and wondering what a grownup is doing in there.

expecting2010 July 13, 2009, 4:37 PM

I have been doing a lot of reading and the slings seem to be the item of choice not only of parents - but doctors and researchers as well. If you are a nanny your response really surprises me.

Natasha July 13, 2009, 6:52 PM

This is the dumbest mommyblogger post I’ve read maybe ever. I’m so tired of people drumming up fake indignation to give themselves something about which to write.

Slings have been used for countless years around the world. Babies are bendy. They can breathe just fine. No one at the store was talking or judging.

Also, I think you’ve never carried a baby around in a Baby Bjorn. They’re hell.

I will await your next post where you complain about how breasts are too close up to babies’ faces while breastfeeding and— gasp!— how can those babies breathe and everyone at the restaurant is whispering and staring because obviously, you’re trying to smother your baby and having you heard of bottles?

If a baby can breathe while her face is smushed into a boob, she can breathe while in a sling.

Seriously, who wastes energy judging people over such stupid things? THIS is “mom logic”? Why do I feel demeaned, then, as a mom?

Adventures In Babywearing July 13, 2009, 6:54 PM

I am big into babywearing and have been to a babywearing safety class. Bag slings like the one you’ve shown above are NOT safe. Definitely not recommended for a newborn. If you are going to use a sling or baby carrier, you should carry them just like you’d hold them in your arms or on your hip. I think there is more info about sling safety at www.thebabywearer.com

Steph

karina July 13, 2009, 6:56 PM

I have that sling and I used it once. My baby was burning up in there! He looked uncomfortable and it killed my back! But I did not know it was recalled. What can I do about that?

Brittney July 13, 2009, 6:59 PM

I am a mom of three and a huge sling advocate but I react the same way when I see moms using this sling. It is usually not safe and as someone else mentioned, has been recalled. There are awesome slings out there that are great for mom, baby, and remove the risk of spinal problems in babies potentially caused by bjorn or snugli type carriers. Check out my favorite, taylormadeslings.com. Notice the absence of padding on these slings and the way that babies are positioned so support good breath and muscle support. While I agree with your assessment of this particular sling, sling-wearing has been shown to have many developmental, cognitive and social benefits for babies; so don’t throw the sling out with the bathwater.

Natasha July 13, 2009, 7:00 PM

(That was supposed to say “haven’t you heard of bottles”.)

Adventures in Babywearing: The bag sling is perfectly safe. It’s recommended that moms keep a hand on their baby and to be very careful when bending over. Also, no jumping on trampolines or riding roller coasters while wearing your baby. And take them out while you’re snorting cocaine, in case they get a sprinkle.

(Common sense.)

Gina July 13, 2009, 7:13 PM

“Mary Poppins” is pretty ignorant about slings, it seems. Thank goodness she’s spending time with her computer instead of children.

It would have been better to warn parents about this particular sling and recommend others. It’s VERY easy to find info online about good slings.

Marie July 13, 2009, 7:22 PM

This post IS about a specific sling can’t you all read? Furthermore, I have too used thus sling and it was NOT safe for my baby. I get the point behind slings but this one does stink. I agree with Mary Poppins in this case, avoid the sling!!

Amber Johnson July 13, 2009, 8:23 PM

Insulting, immature post. So dumb I had to laugh!

michelledoll July 13, 2009, 8:59 PM

as per most of the comments above…this post is so dumb, so judgemental i should say. Babies are used to be curled up inside the womb so they will do just fine in a sling as long as the mother carrying them wont us it multi-purposely like as shopping basket or cart maybe.

Just Me July 13, 2009, 9:11 PM

when my son was first born i had broken arm the nurse at the hospital recommanded this carrier. it wasnt really a sling like this but you wear it on the front and it molds around the baby and they get lots of air it all made of cloth and it was locally made but sadly they cant be found anymore as the company couldnt get it off the ground…i will tell you though that any friend of mine that had a baby got one of this from me…lol and they all loved it…

Susie July 13, 2009, 9:12 PM

Natasha: Upon what do you base the assertion that bag slings are perfectly safe? I love slings, but this particular sling has the babywearing world on edge, because you cannot assure that the baby is getting enough air. It’s not simply a matter of air flowing into the sling. If you can’t see your baby, you can’t check the baby’s position to see if he is breathing well. Also, because of the design of this sling, you cannot position a baby to assure that the baby doesn’t get curled into a chin to chest position … in which he cannot breathe. Obviously, piling clothing on the sling is a bad move.

Other types of slings provide excellent support, allow for safe positioning of babies, and are more comfortable than frontpacks like the dreaded Baby Bjorn. I’m giving Mary Poppins the benefit of the doubt here and assuming she is horrified only by the Infantino.

Courtney July 13, 2009, 10:54 PM

I am going to have to agree with Mary Poppins on this one. Mary Poppins seems like a very intelligent woman, and I think she is only attacking the Infantino which has been shown to not be safe. If you’re still using one, shame on you! And putting clothes over it. Seriously? Put them in a dressing room if you can’t carry them. While slings might seem to take the baby off your hands, while still keeping them close, they kill your back! You would be better off carrying your baby and having them close that way.

denise July 13, 2009, 11:28 PM

Wow. Obviously you’re just a nanny and not a mother or you would know how much babies enjoy being close to their mothers at such a young age. Also; I’m sure if the infants were not breathing properly or did not have access to enough oxygen we would know by know, seeing how all baby and infant related products are tested for years before being released to the public. Find something new to complain about. P.s. its all about the baby wraps!

just saying July 14, 2009, 9:46 AM

To Karina: for this Infantino model that was recalled go to this website:

It will give you the model number info and links to follow.

Anonymous July 14, 2009, 9:53 AM

While the baby sling seems practical, I too have wondered how your child breathes. I know that they are used in many cultures, yet I’m not sure that they are the best option. For newborns, yes I see the appeal. But past a few months, it just makes sense to use a snuggly. That way you can interact with your child more easily, and they can be more stimulated by their environment. Personally I would feel safer with my child in a stroller during the first precious few months..