Bite Me! Confessions of a "Twi-Mom"

woman wondering
Elizabeth Eberhardt Thorp: In December 2008, I took a childless flight (yay!) from L.A. to D.C. On my sisters' advice, I grabbed the book "Twilight" at the airport. I started sipping my wine and cracked the book shortly after takeoff ... Four hours later, I realized I was on page 271, was about to wet my pants, and my leg was asleep. I was bitten by the vampire and more than a little bit in love with Edward Cullen.

Although the "Twilight" novels are targeted to "young adults," I know many not-so-young adults and moms have been smitten by these books, staying up late, neglecting laundry, cleaning, bill paying, exercising, and sometimes sticking their kids in front of Noggin for hours in order to find out how Bella and the hot teenage vampire, Edward, reconcile their forbidden love. I found myself lost in the very romantic, passionate, and cosmic love affair. I was yearning for Edward's fierce, intense devotion and protection. I plowed through all four, 400-plus-page books in 10 days, looking over at my cute, snoring husband and, sigh ... guilty as charged -- I'm a "Twi-Mom" consumed with a 17-year-old undead hottie from the early 20th century. As Bella says, "There was no way around it; I couldn't resist him in anything." I'm 40 years old with three small children -- what's wrong with me?

"I think we are looking for an escape from what can feel like a mundane life," Dr. Michelle Golland, an L.A.-based psychologist and momlogic expert, explains. "As women, we also like the feeling of being swept from one's life into a new and erotic world similar to Bella's." Plain but brave and ironic, Bella lands the hottest boy in school. What the movie "Sixteen Candles" did for my generation, "Twilight" is doing for today's teens. Millions of regular, average fans believe if it can happen to Samantha Baker (who can forget sensitive Jake, with those brown puppy-dog eyes and the kiss over the birthday cake?) or Bella, it can happen to us. It can happen to the frumpiest and most frazzled of mommies. Can't it?

Can't get enough? Join other "Twilight" moms in our community!

next: Teen Dies After Drinking Poppy Pod Tea
Pamela July 24, 2009, 1:31 PM

i can relate to this so much even though im not 40. im hopelessly smitten with edward

anne July 24, 2009, 3:47 PM

I am a thirty-something mom of four. I am also in love with Mr.Cullen! So much, that when the movie “New Moon” come out I will be at the mid-night showing with my twelve yr. old and other twi-obsessed moms.

Eric July 24, 2009, 3:48 PM

I’m not a mom. I’m not even female. I’m a 38-year-old journalist who has read and, well, really liked all the Twilight books.

Two points: First, I’m assuming that everyone noticed how chaste and traditional the central relationship was. No sex until marriage! What a concept for teenage readers!

Second, I think Stephenie Meyer was as good a writer when she started “Twilight” as J.K. Rowling was when she finished “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” Nothing against Harry, you understand—just an observation.

Molly July 24, 2009, 6:08 PM

I am still amazed at how broad the appeal of Edward is. I have bonded with so many women over this book, from the tattoo laden indie-Seattlite to the McMansion Juicy Sweatsuit Range Rover mom. And of course my 14 year old cousin who was reading it two years ago who thinks I am so 2000 and LATE.

We all want someone who is so in love that they can’t bear to be apart. (though can you imagine if our husbands didn’t leave us alone once in a while - oy!)

You hit the nail on the head Lizzy!

My question to all of us, what exactly would you do if you met him?

sb July 24, 2009, 7:05 PM

this makes me want to drop all of my current reads- the ambassadors, master of the senate, the end of the affair- and pick up a salacious quartet of teen vampire stories. this totally qualifies for what my grandmother (with relish, and a conviction that such a thing was an absolutely necessary part of every woman’s reading repertoire) termed “summer trash.”

mrs cullen July 24, 2009, 7:19 PM

You are so hilarious! I’m in the same boat…didn’t shower for three days when I was juggling New Dawn and breastfeeding my 6 week old baby. I’ve seen the movie several times too — can’t wait for november.

Anonymous July 25, 2009, 11:52 AM

Robert Pattinson looks like a hobo when he is not playing Edward

susie q July 25, 2009, 12:42 PM

Mrs. Thorpe, I am a Twi Mom too! invite Robert Pattnson to your 6 pm gin and tonic…you’d be surprised how much these young men love a cute older woman who’s not always drunk, slutty, stupid and annoying. I’ve been seriously hit on by two younger guys — such a boost to mommie self confidence.

Kirstie July 26, 2009, 12:41 PM

I’m amazed at the amount of grown women who love Twilight. Really? It’s that appealing? At 20, I find no appeal whatsoever, and I’m frankly uncomfortable with the way the relationship in the books is portrayed. Yes, no sex til marriage, which is admirable - but it also is chock full of every textbook example of an abusive relationship! He’s controlling, threatening and goes out of his way to scare her (if I recall correctly, he tells her they can not sleep together because he could crush and kill her with his pelvis. Um, excuse me?!) and keep her from other relationships. She, on the other side of it, seems incapable of seeing anything in Edward aside from his looks - she never describes or admires his character or actions. Not exactly the example I’d want for my little sister or cousins, or the children I babysit for.

=^..^= July 28, 2009, 11:28 AM

Kirstie, you are just jealous because a hot vampire doesn’t want to taste you.

Anonymous September 18, 2009, 7:31 PM

“Someone who has lots of respect or power. George Bush, possibly.”

Is he serious with this? I’m really concerned with this answer. I understand that he’s British, but he’s been living in the US for a while. He HAS to know that George Bush is one of the least-respected people in the US right now! I wonder if he’s ever watched the news?

Kate September 25, 2009, 9:29 PM

I’m seventeen (the same age as Bella) and though I did enjoy the first book (the latter ones, with the exception of perhaps Eclipse annoyed me), I never really liked Edward. He was too flat, one-dimensional. Jacob always appealed to me more. He was a little more developed (there’s no such thing as a complex character in the Twilight universe) and I think a warm, strong werewolf protecting me is more appealing than a cold statue any day. Yes, Edward is described as statue-like on more than one occasion. And Eric, darling - JK Rowling was a better writer when she began Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone than Stephenie Meyer was when she finished Breaking Dawn. But that’s just my opinion.

Anonymous November 26, 2009, 10:22 PM

I can’t believe that women over 40 are wasting their time on the Twilight Series which is by the way a pathetic excuse for literature. The book, the characters, and the author herself are just plain deluded and poor. Read/watch something with more substance.

Elis January 24, 2010, 2:23 PM

All I can say is…I’m glad I’m not alone. I thought I was going out of my mind. I’ve read the books and so far have watched Twilight about eight times, constantly listening to the music on an iPOD and can’t get Edward out of my mind. OMG! I’m obsessed!! By the way, I’m 40, married with two children. It is definitely an escape from the mundane real world. If only… And BTW, he isn’t really 17, he’s 24! ;)

las vegas bridal August 26, 2010, 10:05 PM

Hey, nice! But, I had a difficult time viewing your post in Safari 5. Just wanted to bring that to your attention! Thanks.

las vegas seo September 15, 2010, 1:17 PM

This is four times now that i’ve come on your website in the last two days when searching Bing for absolutely unrelated things. Kinda odd. Keep up the good work!