Sarah Palin -- Fishing for Fashion

Candy Spelling: I came from a land far, far away from 90210, as there were no zip codes when I was growing up.

Sarah Pain

Our mothers dressed us up for school every day in pretty dresses, fancy shoes and socks, and the latest costume jewelry.

Skirts and blouses were considered very casual. Jumpers worked only with the right-colored blouses. Pants were forbidden (except for the boys, of course; and they were not allowed to wear jeans).

I enjoyed dressing up, and still do.

I also enjoy seeing the Obamas and their sense of fashion. I, too, like J.Crew, and wear casual clothes I bought there. I don't look as cute as Malia and Sasha, but I'm not supposed to.

When Sarah Palin was running for office, I thought her new clothes were pretty. I remember hearing that the budget was about $175,000 -- and thinking that someone did not know how to get a bargain, and/or was on commission at the expense of political contributors.

Nevertheless, the clothes were sophisticated, distinguished, and fashionable, and, I thought, very vice-presidential (if a woman were to be elected vice president).

I've followed the Obamas to Russia (when my television gave me a Jackson intermission), and liked the clothes they were showing women around the world.

Just as I thought our most visible moms and daughters were embracing fashion,
Sarah Palin really let me down. I really don't care if she continues to be the governor of Alaska, why she quit, if she's going to FOX, or on the lecture circuit or whatever.

But, Sarah, what were you thinking when you greeted the press wearing those fishing waders? And you spoke to Time magazine wearing a T-shirt that read, "Go Slam a Salmon." Increasing numbers of today's youth are more interested in interacting with other living things than eating them.

I'm not suggesting a return to "Dynasty" or saddle shoes, but can we have a moratorium on waders? You don't need to give Tina Fey any new ideas.

next: Open Letter to Mean Lady at Starbucks
j July 10, 2009, 7:48 AM

That is who she is. It’s nice that she can be true to herself. People are different. I would feel more comfortable with her in waders than you dressed to the nines. People are diverse, we are not supposed to fit in one particular mold.

R July 10, 2009, 9:14 AM

Hmmm…maybe she wears waders from time to time, but at least she has a relationship with her children and grandchildren.

LC July 10, 2009, 10:20 AM

ok who goes fishing in heals and a dress???…i still dont understand why momlogic has Candy Spelling on here posting these stupid blogs…she needs to spend her time trying to unite with her child and grandchildren!!!

Karen July 10, 2009, 11:16 AM

Candy Spelling is totally out of touch with the common American. Her blogs aren’t appropriate for MomLogic.

Pinky July 10, 2009, 12:02 PM

I agree. Her blogs are not appropriate fo MomLogic. I was shocked when I realized she wrote for MomLogic.

Anonymous July 10, 2009, 12:43 PM

When did Candy Spelling become a fashion expert?

Secret Mommy July 10, 2009, 1:45 PM

Why IS Candy Spelling writing here? And what does she expect someone to wear while ocean fishing? Costume jewelry to go to school when you were a little girl? Really? Go away.

Sue July 10, 2009, 1:46 PM

My daughter actually started wanting to dress up a little after seeing Sasha (same age). It was fun to shop with her for dresses.

Michelle July 10, 2009, 1:49 PM

Just when baggy pants are finally gone, waders are in the news. Hope we don’t revert to big and baggy again

Sarah July 10, 2009, 1:57 PM

Who is Candy Spelling anyway? Sarah is a down to earth mom and a role model mom for me… Candy Spelling is the epitome of selfishness & that is the only quality she passed on to her kids… Seriously… I say again… Anyone that cares about Candy Spelling judgements ought to re-evaluate their own mom priorities…

Jenny July 10, 2009, 2:59 PM

I read this as being about decorum - not fishing. What’s wrong with looking nice?

N July 10, 2009, 3:30 PM

Well said Candy! There are definitely stylish wellies Sara could be wearing.

Christie July 10, 2009, 4:52 PM

I think that if she’s running for office she would dress up more. I know she is trying to appeal to “every woman,” but lots of women don’t relate to fishing and dressing this way.

Rachel July 10, 2009, 5:10 PM

Perhaps, but it’s not like she looks like she just rolled out of bed. As someone else mentioned, she dressed very appropriately for the occassion. Just what would you have her wear on a fishing boat? Jimmy Choos?

rugbymom July 10, 2009, 5:20 PM

I love it. Don’t forget that an ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure!

The Obama’s wardrobe is a distraction tactic. Wake Up! Have a nice weekend.
:-)

Wilma July 10, 2009, 5:20 PM

This is soooo funny! You’re attacking Candy Spelling for blogging on momlogic? She’s a mom and she’s logical — so she’s qualified. My guess is Candy was just trying to point out that the waders and salmon slammin’ t-shirt seemed a bit contrived after how turned-out Sarah was campaigning for VP.

Anonymous July 10, 2009, 6:01 PM

Hey maybe I shouldn’t wear sweatpants when I go to the gym. Or heck, why not toss my cleats playing softball when I can wear a nice pair of ballerina flats instead. Ummmm hello, she’s on a freaking fishing boat!!!! Duh

Becky July 10, 2009, 6:11 PM

To me, the waders and fish guts are an obvious tactic to distract viewers from the ramblings and nonsensical irrationalities that Sarah Palin is so famous for delivering in interviews and speeches.
I can’t wait to see what Tina does with this one!

Tiffany July 10, 2009, 11:13 PM

This is laughable! What the heck was she suppose to be wearing? This is something Palin’s family does every year. The press came out there. I guess she should have put on her Sunday best and then they would have laughed cause she wasn’t dressed for fishing.

I’m big enough to admit too that I’m jealous because Palin looks good in waiters. Wow!

Karen July 11, 2009, 3:59 PM

Yes, she’s a mom. Not the type of mom I would take advice from, but a mom none the less. But logical? That’s just too funny!!!