Drunk-Driving Mom Says She Had 'No Choice'

Susan Kristofferson says she had no choice but to drive drunk with five kids in the car.

Susan Kristofferson drunk driving mom

Julie Wolfson: A mom drove drunk with 5 kids in the car. Why? She tells Gothamist: "My husband was 10 times drunker than I was. I had two kids left with me that weren't even mine that I had no intention of driving home in the first place. It was either let my husband drive and kill everybody or leave those two kids abandoned."

People aren't perfect -- even moms. It is embarrassing to admit you have been drinking and to call for help. But isn't calling a cab better than putting children's lives at risk?

One dad I know worked as a bartender at a party. At the end of the evening, he shared drinks with the hosts. Then when it was time to go, he drove his car into a tree and broke his arm. He cost his family a pile of money in medical bills and increased their car insurance premiums. Would his wife have been angry to be called in the middle of the night to pick him up? Sure, but in the end, it would have saved him the injury, money, and embarrassment.

There is NEVER an excuse to drive drunk ... especially with kids in the car ... under any circumstances. Have I ever had a drink when I am with my kids? Yes -- but I limit myself to one drink, hours before I need to drive, and most of the time, I don't even finish it.

Have you ever driven drunk with your kids? Comment below.

next: M.I.A. vs. Her Baby: Who Wears It Better?
Anonymous July 23, 2009, 3:01 PM

Loser

Anne July 23, 2009, 3:04 PM

3 teens in my small community were struck and killed by a drunk driver exactly one month ago while walking home at night. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR DRINKING AND DRIVING! PERIOD.

ame i. July 23, 2009, 3:24 PM

My husband and I “take turns” when it comes to having drinks when we go to a restaurant whether or kids are with us or not. We usually have a “mini bar” & wine available at home, so the driver can have something at home later.
Even one drink before getting behind the wheel is a risk we’re not willing to take.

Sally July 23, 2009, 3:57 PM

There is NEVER a good excuse to drive drunk!!!!!!!

Anonymous July 23, 2009, 7:18 PM

whether kids are with you or not, there needs to always be an established designated driver. How many times have I read stories where the drunk driver walks away unscathed from an accident yet the occupants or innocents outside die?!? I nearly had to wrestle my husband keys from him ONCE but I did because no matter how FINE he thought he was I knew I was sober!

K&C's mom July 24, 2009, 3:12 AM

There is no excuse ever to drink and drive!!! In Feb. of this year, we had 9 deaths due to drinking and driving, and several since then!!! They have now set up a special hotline that you can call from your cell phone if you suspect someone of it!! I also used to work with brain injured adults, and 90% of them were there due to their or someone else’s drinking and driving, now think of only 56 people that lived at this facility!!! That is a huge number!! Think of that next time you drink and then get behind the wheel!!

Shae July 24, 2009, 10:26 AM

y would u get drunk in front of kids like that in the first place WOW

SayWhat August 10, 2009, 2:57 PM

You’re a hypocrite, big time! I bet you actually believe you’re excused for your drinking and driving because of your twisted logic. SAD!

“There is NEVER an excuse to drive drunk … especially with kids in the car … under any circumstances. Have I ever had a drink when I am with my kids? Yes — but I limit myself to one drink, hours before I need to drive, and most of the time, I don’t even finish it.”

mike August 11, 2009, 7:47 AM

I don’t understand the last post. If someone limits themselves to one drink, hours before they are going to drive, it would be completely metabolized and their blood alcohol level would be zero by the time they drove. Wouldn’t it? What is hypocritical about that?