One Person's Trash Is This Family's Dinner

Everyone's heard the saying, "One person's trash is another person's treasure." Well, it couldn't be more true for one NYC family who actually live off what other people throw away.

Leia, 24, is the mother of a one-and-a-half-year-old daughter, Uma. She and her live-in boyfriend are Freegans -- people who follow an alternative lifestyle based on limited participation in the traditional economy and minimal consumption of resources. In other words, they make use of, live off, eat, and wear what other people throw out. Check it out.

One Person's Trash is this Family's Dinner

next: Nurse 'Forced' to Help in a Late-Term Abortion
Anonymous July 27, 2009, 10:09 AM

umm ewwww!!

Anonymous July 27, 2009, 12:41 PM

Oh, come on! I try to scrimp and save but this is going to the extreme. Does she even work and what about the live in boyfriend does he work?? This is no environment for a child to be brought up in!!!

merry July 27, 2009, 3:03 PM

surprisingly, this does not bother me. I thought I would be grossed out but I am not because it does seem like such a huge waste. As long as they are not bringing the little girl along or exposing her to germs, I have no problem with it.

VanBurenMom July 27, 2009, 3:40 PM

Ok I am all for saving a dime, but I am not going to pick trash! I know that she is outside a grocery store, and that that WAS pretty fresh food but EWWIE! Our local grocery store marks down close dated stuff and gives any exp stuff to the employees. It all goes in a big box and at the end of the week every one pokes thru it and takes what they want. At least once a mth produce comes home with my hubby that is squashed or damaged and we use it up. I guess that makes me a freegan but I dont pick trash to do it, I worked it out with the local store. The owner doesnt want to waste food and knows we can use the helping hand. Also he has a selfish motive.. Everyone at the store, owner included like my baking and he knows if it comes to my home as fruit it comes back as cookies, breads and candy LOL!!! So he knows he gets his sweet-tooth fix when he sends things home…. but again trash picking is gross

Anonymous July 27, 2009, 6:31 PM

I dont get it, the woman eats out of garbage yet is overweight? Hmmmm, maybe there is enough food in the trash to feed a family?

lissalou July 28, 2009, 12:27 AM

Is it hard for people to be open minded? What is she hurting? How is she hurting her daughter? I found it interesting and worth learning about.

Barb July 29, 2009, 9:46 AM

I actually feel… proud of her. Seeing that perfect fruit, veggies and breads coming out of the trash makes me happy it’s not being wasted. Too bad the stores can’t donate it to a shelter, but at least this one woman is helping be less wasteful. As long as she doesn’t leave a big mess on the street when she’s done, I see no problem with it, though I can’t say I’d feel confident enough to do it myself.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 10:59 AM

Great site! Nice and fun reading. I have a single observation to give about funny t-shirts.