I Never Bought Maternity Clothes!

Everybody kept telling me that at some point during my pregnancy, I'd have to resort to pregnancy clothes. I'm almost 9 months pregnant and haven't bought a single maternity item! You don't have to, either.

Everly Grey Maternity 'Mia' Stretch Charmeuse Dress

Momlogic's Talitha: Besides the fact that they are super overpriced and not the sexiest looking, I wondered if I could make it through my pregnancy without buying any maternity clothing. I'm happy to report that I did. Here's how:

Months 1-3: In all honesty, most people will still fit into regular clothes at this point. No need to start wearing baggy clothing or running out to buy anything.

Months 3-5: Are you set on wearing jeans even though you're starting to pop out? Wear regular low-rise jeans one size up under your belly with a longer top. Once you grow out of those, just attach a rubber band and leave the jeans open. Then, when you're working back toward your pre-pregnancy shape after the baby comes, you'll be wearing these as a transition piece.

Months 5-7: It's all about dresses. If you've got good legs, wear short dresses -- long dresses will make you feel like a tent. Have an office job? Throw a blazer over any dress. You might even want to shorten certain dresses a little, since your legs are the only thing you'll be showing for a while. If you don't have great legs, wear knee-length, princess-cut dresses. These are flattering (and comfortable) for anyone.

Months 7-9: Please don't hide under baggy tops -- it will only make you look bigger. Your husband's T-shirt won't do anything but make your butt look big. Stick with A-line dresses, princess-cut dresses, or tights and extra-long (not wide) T-shirts. Pair with cute flats or flip-flops and be comfy and super cute.

The most common mistake pregnant women make is feeling like they have to hide their entire bodies. Show off what you still can -- your boobs, legs, arms! The best fabrics to wear are soft cottons and Lycra. Investing in maternity tops, pants, and oversized (and ugly) dresses will do nothing for your self-esteem! Just cause your belly's growing doesn't mean you have to feel like a tent.

next: Nurse 'Forced' to Help in a Late-Term Abortion
smoore July 27, 2009, 8:38 AM

i did the exact same thing

Andrea July 27, 2009, 8:54 AM

Nice in theory but it didn’t work for me. The low-rise pants under my belly just ended up falling all the way down. And I never could get back into them post-partum. My body is completely different. If you can do it, more power to ya, but it isn’t for everyone.

Gigohead  July 27, 2009, 9:22 AM

I don’t agree with the author. I’m not a small woman nor am I huge. I did have to invest in two work pants because my regular pants would not close and two causal summer pants to take me into the spring/summer. I do get away with most of my stretchy blouses and stretchy dresses but you will need to invest a little $$ in maternity clothes at some point. Large women clothes don’t cut it as the bust is too large and made me look boxy with my small bust line.

anonymous July 27, 2009, 9:45 AM

This definitely doesn’t work for everyone, especially me. I’m tall and thin. I had some of the items at home that were described in this article and at 4.5 months I can’t wear them. I carry my babies low therefore “under the belly” means below crotch level for me. I do try to buy non-maternity tops to wear with maternity bottoms though. Works great since baby-doll styling is currently in-fashion.

Renee July 27, 2009, 10:36 AM

Um, what’s the difference in buying maternity clothes and buying a new wardrobe of bigger sized pants and dresses? Not all maternity clothes are incredibly expensive!

Anonymous July 27, 2009, 10:48 AM

I didnt wear dresses while i was pregnant. I bought nice light pants out of JCPenney’s intimates section and wore nice, shirts. never bought a single maturnity item. I am a very small person though. There are plenty of tops in style that are long and lose around the abdomen. The pants were very comfortable and since I was pregnant in 2008 through the summer it was great…especially when I was too big to shave regularly. If you can get away with not wearing maternity clothes its great to try, if not, I wouldnt let you feel any more or less of a person! I can still wear all the clothes that were bought during my pregnancy, which is nice. I kept in mind what I needed to cover up while pregnant and how it would benefit me once I had had our daughter.

Didn't need much July 27, 2009, 1:24 PM

I bought very few maternity clothes, and NO maternity tops. But as other commenters mentioned, while low rise pants work for a while, the last couple of months mean they just fall down if you are the type like me to have a huge beach ball out in front (I would turn around at nine months pregnant and have people surprised I was pregnant.)

anonymous July 27, 2009, 1:58 PM

Purchasing loose tops instead of maternity tops are a good investment if you plan on breast feeding. The extra fabric will allow you to be discreet and drape over your side/ belly while only exposing what is necessary for the baby. But they won’t be as huge in the belly as maternity clothes, so people will notice when you start to get your pre-pregnancy body back.

Secret Mommy July 27, 2009, 3:14 PM

This is so dumb. For one thing, I’ve found maternity clothes to be reasonably priced when I shop well. (Plus I’m now on my 2nd pregnancy and plan on another…so they get a lot of use.) But I’ve also found that because they are meant to fit my pregnant body that they are cute, flattering and KEEP ME from looking boxy and like I’m swimming in too-big clothing. Maternity clothes aren’t the same old flowery tent-shirts they were 20 or 30 years ago! And I agree with the other poster, what’s the difference between buying some well-fitting maternity clothes or scouring every store you can find for some suitable but larger-than-normal-size non-maternity clothes? I’ve never found maternity clothes to be responsible for lowering my self-esteem. That’s just silly.

Karen July 27, 2009, 3:47 PM

Call me old fashioned but I actually enjoyed wearing maternity clothes. I looked forward to it. I spent next to nothing on maternity clothing. Most of what I wore was borrowed from friends. The rest of my wardrobe came from a 2nd hand shop.

Monica July 28, 2009, 1:53 AM

The only thing that I bought maternity were one pair of jeans and one pair of casual pants. Since I am an overweight woman most of my tops were roomy already. And some of my skirts and dresses had elastic in the waist anyhow. No one is going to know if you were the same pair of jeans all the time. Its only 9 month, well four or so months. Keep washing them and just switch your tops up. I only wore my from four month onward. After that I trashed them.

kris July 28, 2009, 7:17 AM

Being currently pregnant I can’t fit most maternity clothes their just to freakin large for my small body frame. If it’s not an extra small I can’t even think about wearing it, so I have to go and buy the lager size clothes but, the good thing is. When I’m not pregnant I get them taylored to fit my normal body size, with no need for a new wardrobe.

Barb July 28, 2009, 9:08 AM

I did a mix of non-maternity and maternity. I shopped where clothes aren’t that expensive—Kohl’s, Target and Old Navy each offer maternity clothes and regular clothes. Getting a bunch of inexpensive clothes worked for me because I didn’t like wearing the same things several times a week. I also borrowed as much as I could, but to each their own.

Dana October 3, 2009, 8:56 PM

The single best thing I bought to wear for my pregnancy was a pair of lululemon “Be Still” pants. They are yoga pants, but they have a wide band and are sooo comfortable, but they still look great. It’s all I wanted to wear the whole time and towards the end of my pregnancy it was all I did wear! And I loved them after too.